You can type here any text you want

What should be my next mod/mods?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lunkan

Crazy? Me? :-P
Any comments would be highly appreciated. I´m not 100% what to go with next. I´m still trying to find out what should be the next way to go. My current mods are:
- #50´s inj.
- Walbro 340
- AFPR
- TA-49 with 3" THDP
- ported heads with large valves (what a difference this made)
- Razor´s alky-kit
- 9x11 3400rpm
- rebuild transmission
- 62mm TB and plenum
- RJC powerplate
- Duttweiler big-neck
- 160 thermostat
- 3" LT1-MAF and translator (not +)
- chip from Eric Marshall
- QA1 (HAL) 12way adj. rear shocks
- MT ET Streets 28*11.5-16

Last year, I manage to set the time stated with the mods in http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117320

The transmission is still at the shop (for the second time), but I´m hoping to get it back this week to see what the car is capable of. The T-brake is going out to ensure longer life of the trans.

On the list is a set of GW SFC´s, but I don´t know if I should go with a new cam or new turbo. I can´t afford both right now :(

What would be the best for my setup with the current mods, and what would You guys guess my ET´s COULD be with the current?

"Plenty wants more" ;)
Thanks in advance
/Andreas

I would get an extender chip. The extender chip is what makes a translator set up a speed part. Your combo could easily justify a bigger turbo. One of PTE's 50 series turbos are good because they are half of a GT turbo(they have GT turbine wheels) You could probably pick up a low mileage 50 series for damn close to what you could get out of your TA49. You could also pick up a brand new turbo and that full GT turbo that Captain Mark went to seems pretty impressive. These new GT turbos have also really made the prices people are asking for used big shaft turbos drop. I have seen some really low mile big shaft turbos being listed on this board by respected members go pretty cheap.
I would get a fuel pressure gauge mounted in the car. If you upgrade the turbo and start leaning on it you will deffinately be in the area where some guys had to go to bigger injectors or even a bigger fuel system.

HTH: Jason

So You think the Extender is better than the TurboTweak? Eric made me one like Julio used for his alky setup.

As for the turbo, are they 3-bolt as the stock one?

Also on the list is a FP-guage and also a trans.oil.temp-guage. I just have to find a good place to put them, as I already have a 3guage A-pillar filled with boost-, knock- and A/F- guages.

Thx
/Andreas

I looked at the PT51 and 52. John sell them both. Is there any big difference between these two?

On PTE´s webpage, they state the turbo requires a specific WG actuator. The adj. that I got don´t work?

An actuator is welded to a compressor cover braket. If the compressor covers are different then the cover braket will probably be different. The 50 series and a TA series turbos do have different compressor covers so your actuator probably wont have the right braket.

Here is the way I look at stock style chips:

Once you go over like 350 hp (some where around there) the stock MAF if maxed out. This means that at 350 hp and at 500 hp the same measurement is sent to the pc. When you go to an aftermarket chip they "GUESS" how much fuel you need. Some times they guess real good or at least close enough where you can get the fuel ok by adjusting fuel pressure. Now when you burn your own chips or work close with a skilled chip burner they can reburn and tweak the chips to get them real damn good.
Now a LS1 maf can read much higher hp levels of air. The problem is the factory pc can not except an air flow input higher than roughly 350 hp worth (255 g/sec). Now an extender chip is burnt to say 300 hp air reading is really 600 hp. This works because this is all taken into account when the chip was burnt. The other reason this works is because the pc isnt sent a 600 hp reading wich it couldnt read but it does understand the 300. Now the part thats really slick is the combo of a translator and an extender chip now you can measure and adjust for higher hp levels of air.

I'm going to talk in goofy terms but I'm trying to make it understandable:
Lets say you make a run and your o2's show that its too rich. Lets say you pull out 6% of the fuel. What this is going to do instead of saying 300 = 600 as above, you will now be telling the pc that 300 = 564. The 564 is 6% less than 600 and now the pc will spray 6% less fuel. Only takes a couple trips down a back road and a few tuns of a switch and you got pretty darn good fuel setting.

Now when you go with a non extender style chip you got to dial in for a boost level. With an extender set up thats not so. If the boost goes up and the motor starts flowing a certain percentage more air then the pc increases the fuel flow by that same percent. This is really really nice and alot of people over look it. If I get my car running pretty strong at 24psi and decide I want to go to 27 all I do is turn up the boost. I will not have to go all through fuel set up again. If I want to turn the boost down then the same applies. This is with in reason ( I cant tune for 10psi and then crank it to 30 with out retuning) but believe it or not she wont be to far out of wack.

I'm no longer going to be running an extender sewt up. I went to a new wide band o2 fuel management set up. I jumped on this because when F.A.S.T first came out it was offered for around $1700 with all the stuff and free set of injectors. A month or so later it was $2300 just for the fast and no free injectors. So I jumped aboard the BigStuff 3 wagon and I'll let you guys know how it works (its actually supposed to be an improvement over fast). If it wasn't for the intro price on the BS3 I would still be running the T-plus/extender combo.

HTH: Jason

Thanks for the input Jason. Who makes an Extender chip on my specifications? I checked ramcharger, but it doesn´t say if they do custom.

Regarding turbos, what would be most preferable PT-51, -52 or -61?

/Andreas

Originally posted by Lunkan

Regarding turbos, what would be most preferable PT-51, -52 or -61?

/Andreas

I may have missed it, but if you are running a stock torque converter, you will need t upgrade that with a bigger turbo. You can get away with a stock TC and a PTE-51 but you'll definitely notice a lag over the TA-49 which is great with a stock TC.

If you are serious about going to a '52, then you really should upgrade the TC. At some point along the way you'll also start pushing the MSD-50's, but the alky setup is another variable in that equation.

I'll leave the expertise of Razor to comment on a setup like a '52 turbo, alky injection and extender chip.

Originally posted by mark b
I may have missed it, but if you are running a stock torque converter, you will need t upgrade that with a bigger turbo. You can get away with a stock TC and a PTE-51 but you'll definitely notice a lag over the TA-49 which is great with a stock TC.

If you are serious about going to a '52, then you really should upgrade the TC. At some point along the way you'll also start pushing the MSD-50's, but the alky setup is another variable in that equation.

I'll leave the expertise of Razor to comment on a setup like a '52 turbo, alky injection and extender chip.

I´m running a 9"x11" 3400 TC, so the bigger turbos won´t be an issue of that.

More input is appreciated.

Thanks
/Andreas

I'd go with a TE61 from Limit if I had a 3400 stall. the 51 has a "reputation". I will leave it at that. Yes the actuator will need to be different if you go with the TE a/r 60 housing. If you get a TA61 then your actuator will be re-usable. Check with Limit on this. Also for high boost, it helps to use a HD actuator. So an actuator purchase will/may be in your future.

Erics chip will get the job done. The extender works well too. I have used both and the car huals.

Andreas see if Eric had sent you an adjustable chip, if so.. then you have your answer. So you can trim your BLM lock fueling + - 10%..

Ohh .. I wasnt suppose to tell that Eric makes an adjustable chip.

Boy are there some more suprises this year ;) .. that I just cant tell ...

:D

Since you have alky and it sounds like you want to spend some money......why not go for something like a '66 ball-bearing? :)

You could always let us try it out first to see if it works :)

Well, I don´t have THAT much money to spend. The parts must be shipped to Sweden too, and we have a crazy tax system :mad:

What think I´m gonna buy is:
- PT61 with HD actuator
- GW sfc´s
- roll-cage
- FP guage
- trans oil temp guage

Any last comments before I confirm this order?

Thanks
/Andreas

www.fullthrottlespeed.com

Bob Bailey is the man behind scanmasters, translators, and extender chips. All extender chips are custom burned when you order them. If your planning on running alky all the time ask for the chip to be a little on the lean side. The alky fattens up your air fuel ratio.

hth: jason

I had a PT51 and it ran flawlessly for about 20K miles on it when I sold it. Kind of a small turbo so the 61 would be better. Had a PTS 9/11 converter and didn't like the way it locked it under power. Vigilante multi disc was much better, at least in my car.

The GW SFC's are nice as I had them also. Still need to cut the THDP because it swings out so far.

Eric's chip worked great in my car. We were on the 3rd revision and it was by far the best. Probably an easy .2 second faster than the previous version. Wish I could have hit the track before I sold it...

Sounds like you are going to have a quick one when you finish. Just watch the knock :)

Julio>>> I´d like to hear more about the things that You just can´t tell

Mark>>> Guess I´ll just have to buy a 66 and ship it to You, so that You can tell me if it works great :p

Jason>>> I think I´ll mail Bob and Eric, to see what they say about my setup.

Thank You all for the input.

Best regards from Sweden
/Andreas

Guess I´ll just have to buy a 66 and ship it to You, so that You can tell me if it works great

A T66 with the turbonetics compressor cover has an awesome compressor map for 500 to 650 hp range. The Dual ball bearing T66 (built by limit engineering) that I just put on my car spooled real nice in high stall mode. That was with a stock long block. I have been around these cars long enough to know that "built" motors will spool up a big turbo much better than unbuilt motors. If your going to put ported heads and a cam you will spool a 66 or 70 real nice with out having to get to radical with the convertor. DR Boost runs a TE70-1 and a 3200 n/l I have ridden in and drove that car. His car spools that turbo up good and hard. If the main thing you like to do is drag race at the track and on the street you may want to look into a big shaft turbo. You get more than just big wheels when you buy one of the big shafts. They are a heavy duty turbo and will hold up to the abuse of drag racing much better.

Jason

Well I came up with this. I´ll start with the PT61 and see if I like it. It´s hard to tell what my car likes, as two cars never are the same, but it looks like the PT61 has got a good reputation. If I don´t like it, I´ll just sell it and get a big shaft.

I´m still concerned of the stock bottom end, how long it will last. Hey, if I blow it up, I might end up saving money for a stage block and a huge turbo :rolleyes: :cool:

Oh, and RobR, Knocks? Don´t have any at all... Hmm, I don´t have a rolling car either right now :rolleyes: I really hope I can see some good times THIS year. I´m still waiting for the transmission. :(

Back