You can type here any text you want

What size holley carb?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mikemcvaney

Thinking of buying a new carb car currently has 650 dbl pumper spreadbore repalcment holley. Want a regular base holley 600 or 650 dbl pump any suggestions? mike mcvaney motor is far from stock.

Quick fuel 1050 :biggrin:

NO NO NO

Mike this is the formula for carb cfm requirement:
Cubic in X MAX RPM / 3456 X VE VE=volumetric efficiency
for NA use .85
for high performance NA use 1.1
for boosted use 1.5

So 231X6000/3456X1.5 = 601.5
So a 600 cfm carb is just under the requirement and would IMHO would get the best mpg's, throttle response, kill oil less.
a 625 or 650 might net a high HP at the top but that's it.

NO NO NO

Mike this is the formula for carb cfm requirement:
Cubic in X MAX RPM / 3456 X VE VE=volumetric efficiency
for NA use .85
for high performance NA use 1.1
for boosted use 1.5

So 231X6000/3456X1.5 = 601.5
So a 600 cfm carb is just under the requirement and would IMHO would get the best mpg's, throttle response, kill oil less.
a 625 or 650 might net a high HP at the top but that's it.
Thats kinda what I was thinking now do you think a double pumper i or a vaccum secondary would work better . I was thinking a vac sec. with a rear metering block off of a 780 vac sec. this would give me better secondary metering but it does not have a power valve, so it does not need to be boost referanced on both sides only the primaries. what do you think Adam ? or should I just get a 600 double pumper. Mike

your not going to like that regular base carb.

your spool wont be as even and linear.

but..... I run 750.... so 650 sounds about right.

A.j.

Considering that the original Q-jet is rated at 800 CFM either one would work but I have to agree with Aj 100% on this. Use a spread bore carb.

All spread bore Holley's have side hung float bowls and are not externally adjustable.

All spread bore Holley's have side hung float bowls and are not externally adjustable.

not entirely true good sir.

they do exsist..... I have a center float myself.

however the bowls are not interchangable...... so dont get any ideas about swapping goodies. Be patient.... and watch ebay... you will find a decent core with the centr hung bowls. its just a matter of time.

A.j.

Not like I go looking for a bunch of spread bore Holley's anyways, lol

Freds olds ran a non spreadbore holley 3310 with the secondaries sat limited he has the fastest b4 black engins must not of hurt his car much. Mike

True, But Fred stated that he couldn't open the back butterflies all the way without issues. It has to do with building boost and timing of the secondaries. A spread bore will reduce the issue to some degree.

Back