You can type here any text you want

what the....oil?....here?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MrBoost86

Quick question for you guys. I found oil in my up-pipe (IC to intake). Is this bad, or normal? I've heard both. It coated the inside but was not dripping out of it. There was a little pooling on the top of the bottom IC hose. My car uses a little oil, but also leaks from rear main, so not sure if its using from the leak or thru my system. Car runs great and of course smokes a little blue out in the mornings and after work. What do you guys think, should I worry? Thanks a bunch. Boost on!!

Well no it's not good , Sounds like the turbo oil seal is on it's way out, Your pretty much looking at a turbo rebuild then after that remove the intercooler and clean it really good with a degreaser.

Test- could I rebuild the turbo, being pretty well mechanically inclined or should i have the local guru do it?

do u still have the breather from the pass side valve cover still connected to the turbo? if so, there is ur culprit. its been a long time since ive seen one of those. most people will put a push in open element breather in the vc and cap off the port on the turbo.

surej

One of the first mods I did 2 years ago was remove the breather pipe, and cleaned the IC, up-pipe, TB. I still see a little bit of oil and a little bit of puddling like you. Been like that for 2 years and 20,000 miles (now at 178,000), and 3 IC cleanings. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, as long as it's not excessive.

Originally posted by MrBoost86
Test- could I rebuild the turbo, being pretty well mechanically inclined or should i have the local guru do it?
I dont believe that it is that difficult taking it apart and putting it back together but bearing clearences are an issue and im sure the pro's have "tricks" on assembly, I personally would send it off to LImit Engineering and have them rebuild it.

thanks for the info guys, sorry its been a week since i responded. However i may try the breather and see how that plays out since im such a cheapskate. Anyone who is married with kids knows what i mean. Thanks again.

Have you checked your oil consumption? When my turbo seals went bad I lost 2 quarts of oil very quickly. You could run dangerously low one day. Also, have you checked for excessive impeller play? You could be sending metal into your engine and you're going to hate that being the cheapskate you are ;)

James

Originally posted by bishir
Have you checked your oil consumption? When my turbo seals went bad I lost 2 quarts of oil very quickly. You could run dangerously low one day. Also, have you checked for excessive impeller play? You could be sending metal into your engine and you're going to hate that being the cheapskate you are ;)

James

no no no.
The PC term for that is "frugal".

Those of us who are single income families with kids must be "frugal" with the big boy toys. ;)

Those of us who are single income families with kids must be "frugal" with the big boy toys.

TRUE DAT !!!

Back