You can type here any text you want

What to do??? Aftermarket axles.

• Thread starter Thread starter coach
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
C

coach

Hey Guys,
I am getting a Stage2 tranny done by Vince Janis and have a question. I am having a manual trans brake put in. I want to know if just replacing the axles will be OK for the set up in my sig. My second question is, Do C-clip elim add any length to your rear housing and does it need modified to put them on? I am running a new Pat's 10 inch lock-up 3200 convertor with this new tranny.

Give me some advise. How far will the 8.5 GM carrier go before it "KABOOMS"?

Thanks
Coach

I would say at a bare minimum upgrade to moser 28 spline axles. All the news I've heard about c-clip eliminator is they leak :( Not sure though. Also, why are you running 3200 stall converter on a TA-49? I would say with a 3200 stall your losing the bottom end of your power band.

Most guys have told mthat a 3000-3200 is the best overall stall for most turbos. I will have my Te45a on after this coming year. I was only buying 1 convertor, so I bought the 3200.

Thanks for your thoughts on the c-clips elim.
Coach

My car probably has over a hundred transbrake launches some well over 20 psi, has been in the 1.4 60's has 28 spline moser axles, stock carrier, Moser C-clip elims (installed professionally, and they don't leak many many street miles).

No problems..................Yet.

Edit - Oh and I added a TA girdle over the winter, but only a few times to the track since then.

The stock 8.5 is plenty strong if set up properly. Aftermarket 28 spline axles should be plenty for your combo. The stock posi won't stand up long to a trans brake - most folks trying to keep the posi upgrade to a locker of some type such as Detroit or Auburn.

The C-clip eliminator kits are a PITA to install and are susceptable to leaks as mentioned. Another option is to cut off the ends and weld on Ford ends but that requires disc brakes.

The stock 8.5 is plenty strong if set up properly. Aftermarket 28 spline axles should be plenty for your combo. The stock posi won't stand up long to a trans brake - most folks trying to keep the posi upgrade to a locker of some type such as Detroit or Auburn.

The C-clip eliminator kits are a PITA to install and are susceptable to leaks as mentioned. Another option is to cut off the ends and weld on Ford ends but that requires disc brakes.

Why cant you use the ford ecoline drum brake setup? Moser also offers a kit to have the gm bolt pattern with the bigger drum brakes... :biggrin:

Back