You can type here any text you want

What trans. to use???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WHITE T

Baer Brake Systems
Hey Guys,

Figured I would post this in the Stage II section, as that is what I am building and I need a tranny to hold up.

I want an overdrive, and am considering a Turbo 400 with a Gear Venders overdrive, or a 4L80E.

Anybody have any insight? Recommendations? I have been considering the TH400 with the Gear Venders because of the availability of a trans brake, and easier cheaper rebuilds down the road (at least that is what I have heard).

Thanks!
Rick Elam

What kind of HP levels are you looking to run and is your engine a Stage motor.

Hey NJTurbo,

The motor is an all Stage II twin turbo, should make in the area of 1200-1400 hp depending on turbo and boost levels.

Sorry, should have added that! :)

Thanks
Rick Elam

IMO you will not need a OD if you plan on pushing that much HP it is not a street or highway car anymore. 400 built to the balls and be done with it. IMO;)

Just get an ATI 400 with a brake and loose the overdrive Idea I dont tkink it will survive with that kind of HP.

Gear Vendors rates their overdrive units at something like 1500 HP...something outrageous like that. If I had the $2,000 extra for the GearVendors, that's the way I'd go.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the responses, I do really appreciate it.

To give a little background on what I am doing (or planning to do), will give you more of an idea of why I want overdrive. The car itself has never been driven much on the street (roughly 1500 miles a year). I had a complete Stage II built by Kenny D that is pretty radical for any street car (dry sump, BIG cam, twin turbo). I planned to initally use this motor for weekend trips to the strip, minimal street use/car shows.

My main goal for the car is to run Silver State and possibly Bonneville. The car is currently a frame off, and getting a bunch of suspenison upgrades done. The car will feature a long wide 4 link, so it should work OK at the strip, and be able to corner decent due to the design.

I plan to put a "toned down" stage II in the car for Silver State, something with less lift that will be able to handle the stress of a pro-longed use application.

I know it is impossible to expect a car to be able to do everything, but I am trying. I am doing a bunch of modifications to suit all forms of racing as best as I can. I know converters and rear gears will be changed for each application.

So what I am trying to say is though it will not see the street much, it definatly will, and do to some of my plans I will need an overdrive! :) I have been leaning towards the gearvenders set up, but don't have any experience with it and open to ideas.

Thanks!
Rick Elam
1987 - T (currently under major construction)

I haven't heard much about a Turbo 400 w/ the Gear Vendors OD, but I do know that John Meaney's twin turbo SBC Vette that was featured in PHR had a 4L80E trans and keep in mind his Vette was making around 1200hp or so.....

Gear Vendors does not recommend their unit for transbrake equipped cars. Since you are planning on swapping convertors anyway how about a regular T400 with loose convertor and brake for the track and a tight T400 with gear vendors for the Silver State? The quest for a street driven 1000+Hp with overdrive in a Buick is a waste of money and effort. We all think we want it until we actually have it.
Greg Kring
87 GN
9.10@150

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the insight.

That is a good idea, and what I am leaning towards at this moment.

thanks!
Rick Elam

You could use the T400 without the OD for the Silver State and just change the ring and pinion. The 2nd to 3rd gear split (assuming stock ration) is the same as 3rd to 4th split for 200R.

The L80 provides a closer split from 3rd to 4th (0.75) than either the T400 (2-3) or the 200R (3-4). This split would work good for the open road racing and still have good ring and pinion ration for sprint races.

Deep Enough
Donald McMullin

Originally posted by summit
Gear Vendors does not recommend their unit for transbrake equipped cars. Since you are planning on swapping convertors anyway how about a regular T400 with loose convertor and brake for the track and a tight T400 with gear vendors for the Silver State? The quest for a street driven 1000+Hp with overdrive in a Buick is a waste of money and effort. We all think we want it until we actually have it.
Greg Kring
87 GN
9.10@150

Greg,

I remember reading that some time back as well..they have changed their tune, at least in person. I stopped by their factory in San Diego and talked to an engineer about using one behind my car. He was very positive and said they have a number of users with trans brakes. I missed out on one that was up for sale locally and I have to finish the damn car before I have a budget for any add-ons, but I still want one!

Back