You can type here any text you want

What turbo to replace TA49

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dvernst

O.k. I have a TA49 with a Garrett exhaust housing. The exhaust flange I have for my downpipe barely seals around the top, because it was made for a precision housing. I have a 3200 stall, and the motor is stock except for valve springs. I also have 57lbs injectors, and an aftermarket intercooler. I like how fast the TA49 spools, so how big should I go. I would maybe like to run high tens or low elevens. Thanks

Sounds like a PT61 is right up your alley. I personally would go BB but that is personal preference.

What IC do you have?

I just went from a TE44 with a 28-2900 stall to Cotton's BB CPT 61.
Spools just a bit slower, when a say a bit I do mean a little bitty bit.
Once it's at 18psi its melding pavement with rubber. Sounds like a bigger step up but with the ball bearing tech the lag is almost unoticeable, though the TA49 was as close to stock spool as you could get. I think with your higher stall convertor you'd be fine. Your bigger injectors will nurse that puppy nicely as well.:)

GT6131 Dual BB woud be a great set up. I know it is an expensive turbo. And a month or two wait on it too.

I have to agree with the CPT61 ball bearing turbo from Cotton's on your car. It should run real well with the mods you have in place.

I have to agree with the CPT61 ball bearing turbo from Cotton's on your car. It should run real well with the mods you have in place.

Is this a better fit for my mods then the PT67bb? Also is the PT67bb the same as the GT6776bb? Thanks. With the CPT61 what exhaust housing do I want? .63, or .83. Thanks

Is this a better fit for my mods then the PT67bb? Also is the PT67bb the same as the GT6776bb? Thanks.

With the stock internals of your engine i think the CPT61 BB is a better match. If you had ported heads, cam, good bottom end, etc. the GT6776bb would probally be a better choice then.

O.k. It looks like the 67 is probably a little to big for my application. Can you get a Cpt 61 with a 2 1/2" outlet?

Yeah I looked there. I see you can get it with a 4" inlet. How about with a 3" inlet?

How about for the exhaust housing? Is there pros and cons to the .63 and .83? Thanks

How about for the exhaust housing? Is there pros and cons to the .63 and .83? Thanks

Stick with the .63 with your stock engine & the powerband it operates in. The .83 will be slower to spool up & performance will suffer on a street car.

I have some install pics of the 61 BB 4" inlet 3"out, watercooled center.
No times yet, having some fuel problems, so far though, I like it. I think when I get it all lined out it's going to pick up nicely.
motor-060607.jpg

motor060607-2.jpg

Back