what type coolant?

I'd have to say Dex Cool. Its what come in the new stuff with aluminum radiators from the factory and supposed to last quite awhile.

Personally, I have only owned one car with an aftermarket aluminum radiator, a Riv with a 455. The system was flushed every 6 months and RMI-25 was used at all times.

After 10 years the inside of the rad still looked like new. So, for about $20 a year and some labor, you can have a trouble-free cooling system.

Are you sure you want to use Dex-Cool (also known as Death-Cool):mad: Read this! http://www.geocities.com/b_gillie/dexcool_problems.html

Lucky me, I own a 96 Blazer AND a 98 Jimmy. The Blazer WAS a Dex-Cooled vehicle but had already been converted to the traditional green coolant when I bought it. So far I have had to replace the heater core.

My wife's 98 Jimmy which we bought a year ago with 50k on it recently had the heater stop working. The hose going to the heater core was warm and the one coming out was stone cold so I knew there was a clog in the core. Back flushed just the heater core and a big glob of gunk came out. Put everything back together and now the heater worked fine. Week later and her water pump starts leaking all over the place. Not sure if these problems are Dex Cool related but I sure would stay away from the stuff.

Nick, would RMI be a good route to take to flush out the wife's Jimmy to totally get rid of the Dex Cool?

I work at a Honda dealer and have always had good luck with their pre-mixed 50/50 coolant in my GN. Its a little pricey, but its a quality product. ive also heard of people using Honda auto trans fluid int he 200-4r, but ive personally never tried it

dexcool

Hi!
As far as I'm concerned, dexcool is a fine product. Another responder says he had trouble with clogging, but I suspect that this is a result of a mix with ethylene glycol, or worse.
The system needs to be thoroughly flushed, and a 50 percent mix installed. If you choose, go back with regular green, also replace the thermostat while you have the chance. Buy the GM tstat, or a topline aftermarket;don't go to Autozone for your stuff.
Happy Superbowl!

Dale

That link to DexCool is one of the urban myths associated with the product. First do not use DexCool. There is no advantage to using it in our motors. The reason why is Dex is not as dense as the old green stuff and you may have a leakage problem with some gaskets,usually anything made out of cork which is nothing as far as I know on a LC2 and just the thermostat gasket on a hot air,NA or V-8. The reason GM uses it on newer cars is all of the gaskets are a newer type usually made of neophrene type rubber and other spaceage materials that I cant name off the top of my head. If DexCool was so bad as that link might have you believe than why is GM still using it and continuing recommending it as a replacement in cars which originally had it? DexCool has its place and is a great product but not in our cars IMO. I used to run it in one of my 455 cars back in the late 90's and one day I was BSing with a GM engineer and the subject of a coolant leak came up and this was his exact reply.

dexcool

Hi!
First, I would like to say that we should use the coolant that comes with the product. Next, I would like to say that I have also heard about some problems regarding the stuff, but still think it is a good product. People tend not to change coolant, and anything that adds to longevity can't be all bad. GM trusts the stuff, so I will.Enough said, stick with the green if you are worried, but change it sometimes!
Dale

so i guess i should use regular prestone coolant, and some royal purple additive? or red lines watter wetter?

Originally posted by 1000MileStylez
so i guess i should use regular prestone coolant, and some royal purple additive? or red lines watter wetter?

No use Prestone, water and RMI-25

Originally posted by 1000MileStylez
Im using an alluminum radiator, whats the best coolent to use that wont corrode the cores

Evans Coolant I'm not related but read about it. Evans Plus will work with a stock water pump pretty well. NO water = NO corrosion.

Kev :)