You can type here any text you want

what wakes the car up?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
ill have to try and post the pics later.. i tried twice and its not letting me.. what are you talkin about backward actuator? and an normally open waste gate?

There are 2 different wastegates for the early turbo V6 cars. One is normally closed so it builds boost faster and the 81(?) is the one that is normally open so it builds boost slower. I need to look over my notes and links but I think you have the better of the two.:confused: A pic will confirm it though.:biggrin:

you don't know what the gap is at?:confused: Well you need to have it at .035 and not .060 like the book says for starters. From research I've done on stock ignition systems the plug wires are the weakest link so I would also get some good ones sometime. If they are good it is not needed right now though. I think you should check vac lines and plug gap for starters. What is your timing set at? Have you gut the cat yet?

HORSEPOWER: Regal/Monte Carlo 170 @ 4000 rpm, (Riviera 180).
TORQUE: Regal/Monte Carlo 275 lbs.-ft @ 2400 rpm, (Riviera 270).

Normally open waste gate. Uses only one port connector (vacuum).

This is a paste off Rich's site for the 81 model. You might want to go and do some reading up about your car.

BEFORE BLACK - Evolution of the Buick Turbo V6

ill have to check the gap for sure! the cat is completely gutted! i have good wires but they are goin to get upgraded soon.. im actually trying to get a parts list together again for all the things we have been talking about and then some.. ive tried to find info on timing back havnt had to much luck.. i dont remember were it is at.. but i it deff doesnt detinate! what should it be at?

i post a few pics and theres some good ones of the turbo.. is there an easier way to chat on here?

What timing is the car set at right now? Let's start there.

It's a message board, ment to leave messages. If you look at the very top you'll see a place marked chat. Most of us don't take the time to do it often though.

Timing is at 16 degrees? What is the max timing? That is the biggest question as well as when it comes in.

i dont know.. to be honest.. im not sure how to test it.. i havnt done much motor work in a really long time! im just doin custom steroes and lifts drops and rims etc.. so help me out here... what rpms should i test it at? and what should my total timing be? and what should it be at idle?

Do you have access to a timing light where you can adjust the timing of the light?

ya i have two different ones.. as long as you tell me how i can get it done and i have help as well we just didnt know where to set it..

ya i have two different ones.. as long as you tell me how i can get it done and i have help as well we just didnt know where to set it..

You'll need two people to see where it's at. Start the engine with the vac line to the dist plugged. Get initial timing and rev the engine extremely slowly. 200 RPM's at a time if you can. Move the dial on the back of the timing light until the marks that were preveously there are lined up again. When the marks no longer move the base timing and the total should tell you how much you have.

ok but once i do that what should it actually be at? 16 18 20 degrees? what you do recommend for building a better intake that the boxed air filter with 8 vac lines goin into it?

hey bro finally got my account working again on here. i think the gaps on his plugs are at .30. timing if i remember right is 12-13. but like 1980mcturbo said its a pretty new motor in the car. stock rebuilt carb. rebuilt motor with small comp cam. ported and polished heads. ported exhaust manifolds. stock bottom end bored .30 over. gutted out cat with 3in exhaust all the way back. th350 trans with stall converter. the car developed a bad ticking noise a few years back and sat till about six months ago finally got some time and extra money and got it running again. but since its been years and other projects have been going on we forgot all the general info like timing, spark plug gap etc. and before the cam that was in the car was wayyy to big and would not make any low end power.

biggest problem we are having now is getting the leaks. it has stamped steal valve covers similar to what cam on a stock small block chevy. that are leaking. and either the oil pan or rear main seal leaking. but we noticed that it used to make 11-12 pounds of boost on the old set up on the bigger cam and stock heads. now it only makes 8 but like most said we need to start with plugs, a good set of wires, cap rotor, then timing. on it right?

and as for the cast valve covers posted will those fit on any year head? will they help seal better then the stamped steal ones? also wouldnt the breather hole be coverd up cause of the turbo piping or carb/intake? can i get some pics of yalls carb turbo set up? it would really help!!

but the car is in great shape for being all original sat in our uncles garage for years. its white with maroon? interior. big sun roof. and 17in torque thrust wheels.

sorry these are the best pictures i have of the car. it usually its in the garage haha ill have to help him get some better ones so everyoen can see the whole thing

IMG00016-20090621-2009.jpg

driveway.jpg

cars.jpg

sorry for hijacking yoru thread bro but just trying to get some info out there see if it helped any. maybe a lil bit more clear questions.
?
also anyone in the houston area hangout liek a grandnational club or anything? any other carb/turbo guys in the houston area?

thanks the rookie

FOR GODS SAKE...PUNCTUATION GUYS! Sorry but I have to do this once in a while. Please remember that a period and a comma are standard PUNCTUATION MARKS. PLEASE USE THEM!!!!

Rant over, sorry.

FOR GODS SAKE...PUNCTUATION GUYS! Sorry but I have to do this once in a while. Please remember that a period and a comma are standard PUNCTUATION MARKS. PLEASE USE THEM!!!!

Rant over, sorry.

Sorry, its 12 at night i been working alot. punctuation was least of my worries.
ill try to remember it next time.

Sorry, its 12 at night i been working alot. punctuation was least of my worries.
ill try to remember it next time.

Sorry guys. I'm a little older and trying to read what you've posted can be a little hard to read. Pleas remember this.:redface: Thanks.:biggrin:

Back