What would you guys do?

mandersgtp

I moved to Maryland back in April and got my drivers license and tried to get my car registered right away so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Well, I didn't realize all the BS I had to go through to register here and when I finally did I ended up failing safety inspections. After trying to get my car "safe" about two or three months passed and now they're telling me I have to pay sales tax on my car again - putting my registration to about $1000. My options are to save up the money and try not to spend it on mods, or go back to Wisconsin and get my license back there. If I save up the money, I may be pushing it because my WI tags expire in December. Should I switch back or save up - that is the question.

Driving in MD on Wisconsin tags will be on borrowed time.They will eventually notice your car with the tags & then give you 30 days to get them transferred to MD.One nice thing is after your car is inspected it never has to be done again in MD as long as you own the car.Once you transferred your title they should of charged you the fee at that time for taxes declared value.In MD minimum is $500 value of the car that you would have to pay 5% tax on.
Should of posted you were having problems getting the car safe a while back I could of helped you out.A few of my customers & friends are MD state inspectors ;)

If you have a valid address in WI, I'd do that. In fact, I'm doing that already.
The law according to Bruce Williams is that the car has to be registered and insured in the state it is MOST of the time, don't listen to the police when they tell you differently.If you have 2 addresses, just say this car spents most of the year in WI. case closed.

I know you're right - I should just get it registered here. I just don't know where I'm gonna come up with that kinda money right quick. I still haven't passed safety inspections, but I should be able to pass now no matter who I go to. After ripping off my window tint, getting all new brakes, buying a catalytic converter, etc. it better pass!!