What's it worth?

XCELLR8

What is the approximate selling price for an 87 Turbo-T that is stock and has ~115K on it now days. The car will need a total restoration done to it, everything rebuilt and complete repaint with rust repair. I have been out of this game for a long time as my last one was sold in 95. Yes, I know it comes down to what the seller is willing to let it go for and what I would be willing to pay for it, but educate me.

TIA

well make up a list of what the car needs and how much to do each thing. I believe you will find it will cost more than what the car is worth and it won't be counting the car itself :redface: RUST is very time consuming to fix.

well make up a list of what the car needs and how much to do each thing. I believe you will find it will cost more than what the car is worth and it won't be counting the car itself :redface: RUST is very time consuming to fix.

That is what I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it.

Part it out!!!

It is not mine.

This car is my first TR that I had, I was 2nd owner, the guy who has it is owner #3. I am interested in it for 2 reasons: 1. my 1st TR and 2. It has very few options.

I have not seen this car in 10 years, so I do not know how much rust it has. Being it was a DD in the rustbelt, I'm sure there is some.

$2500 If the interior isn't a complete wreck. Otherwise $1500 maybe.

I agree with GNBRETT on that value. I guarantee you it's going to cost you a small fortune to restore that thing!!!! I've spent a fortune on my '87 Grand National so far, and IT'S STILL NOT READY FOR THE ROAD. Those things costs lots of money,(and I empathize LOTS) even if you do all the work yourself. I'm speaking from experience and I've heard lot of others here on this board say the same thing. Man, if you're still a young buck, why don't you just go out and find a better Turbo Regal or Grand National that runs? Get something that doesn't require months and months of backbreaking, not to mention BANKBREAKING work to wear you out. You're better off, in my unbiased honest opinion, getting one that has some miles on it, needs just a little work, looks good, runs good, something you can spend more time DRIVING it instead of one that will drive you INSANE with restoration. As Grumpy said, if the rust problem is bad, it'll be a BITCH to fix, and expensive. It could put you in an insane asylum in about one week. Find another one, as we only have a short time here on earth, don't waste all your valuable time working on, fixing, restoring, selling pencils, pimping yourself out (like I'm doing) on a Turbo Regal when you can be out running the living hell out of it on the road. And you'll especially be happy when spring time comes, those summer cruises on the road in the evenings are exotic, not sweating away in a hot garage full of grease, oil, mouse droppings, spiders, stray cats, busted knuckles fixing or repairing the damn thing (which describes me) Every spring I yearn for the old Grand National screaming through the country side, T-Tops off, roaring away from every stop, smelling the sweet country air, listening to that ever so sweet exhaust sound, the screaming Turbo...every spring...sigh...I'm still working on it up on jackstands. Life is too short to work on a great car all the time instead of using it for what it's made for...insane fast driving!!!:eek: End of lecture. You may continue to your next class.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

$2500 If the interior isn't a complete wreck. Otherwise $1500 maybe.

My thanks to all that replied. I was in the ball park with what I thought the car would be worth. Now I need to decide if my old car with low options is worth my time and $$$.

I had a chance to buy back an old TR of mine once. While the nostalgic value was pushing me to buy it back, it had had too much done to it and it lost the nostalgia fairly quickly. I passed on it and didn't look back.

As others have said, you will be putting a LOT of cash in this car to return it to how it was when you first owned it. If it were me, I'd spend more up front and get a car that needs less to get it where you want it.

As others have said, you will be putting a LOT of cash in this car to return it to how it was when you first owned it. If it were me, I'd spend more up front and get a car that needs less to get it where you want it.

this sounds like a cash cow to me.. IF you fixed it it should be so ya can't tell its been fixed (big $$$$) .. If ya slap it back so it looks ok to drive you have a beater . I would try an talk myself into it.. Look at it and if its right its right.. Otherwise RUN away !!
ok need some $$$$ to crunch

Engine rebuild ... Cheapo haircut and a shave $3/4 k (performance goodies ?? triple it anyway .. heads , cam, bigger turbo.. c the point I am tryin to make ?? )

Trans $2k (may as well get the billet job with the prices they have today..

Interior ?? seats , rug, door panels sayyyy $1k cause it doesn't need much

now the fun .. body work .. decent paint job (step above Macco...$3k ) and that DOES NOT INCLUDE FIXING RUST that grows like a mo fo once you get into the car.

Tires $500

ok Ill stop.... theres $10k and I am not really digging :eek::cool: