You can type here any text you want

what's my TTA worth?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tracy

Thinking about selling my TTA

33K miles.

T/Tops-leather

Perfect paint

Interior is a 9 out of 10.

Couple of minor mods to the motor/ runs great.

what do you guys think? I've been seeing low mileage cars like mine going for 15k-18k

What it is worth to you and what it would sell for are two different things.

There is a 10k mile TTA in the cars for sale section for $15,500.

Your car with that mileage would probably sell for around $13,000 if it is in real nice shape. I have a 2,700 mile TTA that I would be surprised if I could sell for $18k realistically. It is not to say the right buyer for your car might come along and pay slightly more but if someone does a little research and looks through the for sale ads here and on traderonline.com, ebay.com, etc they will find one with similar mileage and in similar shape for less than $15k for sure.

Good luck with the sale if you decide to sell it, but it is certainly a buyer's market now. Where are you located anyway?

Go here for an idea of what they are going for
Ebay TTA's
He's been keeping track of what TTA's sell for on ebay. One in IL with your miles sold for 12k in Sept, don't know the details of the car but thats what it went for.

I'm actively looking for one now in your car's general condition and I'd would offer anywhere from 12k to 14k for it depending on what was done to it, what comes with the car, etc. and I would have to factor in transporting it to PA., But that is my spending range, not to say someone wouldn't give you 15k. It is a buyers market right now. :) and I think TTA prices are about bottoming out right now:D Good for me, bad for sellers.

I disagree actually on values bottoming out. Everything I have read indicated values are up modestly. Collector Car Price Guide shows them up 3%.

Also, classic car dealers are starting to show interest. When these dealers get a nice one the are asking low 20's. When the dealers start movving thes cars at higher prices, private sellers typically follow suit.

I guess what I am saying here is that we could both be right depending on the car and the buyer/seller. Overall though I would say the future looks good for these cars.

Originally posted by tracy
I disagree actually on values bottoming out. Everything I have read indicated values are up modestly. Collector Car Price Guide shows them up 3%.

Also, classic car dealers are starting to show interest. When these dealers get a nice one the are asking low 20's. When the dealers start movving thes cars at higher prices, private sellers typically follow suit.

I guess what I am saying here is that we could both be right depending on the car and the buyer/seller. Overall though I would say the future looks good for these cars.

I think in the future these cars will be valuable. I see ad after ad of TTAs with 2,000-24,000 miles all priced over $20k on www.traderonline.com. The only reason I see ad after ad with these ridiculous prices is because they don't sell them at these prices. The reasonably and correctly priced TTAs sell and the ad is subsequently removed, and the outrageous ones are still listed day in and day out making people think the market for these cars is improving. If you ask the people who have recently bought a TTA what they paid, you will see the prices are no where near the over inflated auto trader prices in most cases. Don't get me wrong, I wish the 20k mile cars sold for $20k+ as I would sell mine in a heartbeat and get all of my money back and then some.

Look at the ebay link, there is one from DE with 8k mi that sold for 15k, one from TX with 9k mi that sold for 15.6k, 2yrs ago they would have sold for 18-20k+
It's the inpulse buyers that pay the 20k prices which are few and far between, its just too easy to do your homework and search the internet for the going prices, patience is what gets you the good deal.
I'm looking at a local one now with 21k mi and I think I can get it for 14k, if not the search continues( he paid 18k for it 1.5 yrs ago).

These cars will not go down much more and will not go up in price much either over the next few yrs. Same trend as the GN, there is just too small a nitch of people interested in these cars. JMHO

I am a ture believer that what we see for ASKING prices does not determine market value because as it is suggested by someone else here, the cars with the correct market prices are SOLD. The ones with the outrageous asking prices hang around for months.

I had the opportunity to by a 9600 mile TTA just a few months ago for $15,500 located in Wisconsin. I only passed on that because I preferred a Grand National and bought one of those instead, and I paid in the range you were thinking of for your car. The difference is GN's are worth more in the current market and I bought mine with 10,056 miles and some newly installed mods.

It sounds to me like you have a beautiful car but at the price range you are thinking I have a feeling you will be holding on to it for some time to come. I think these two guys are right on with their ranges of $12-14K depending on condition and what has been done to the car. I am not saying you won't find a buyer at the price range you are hoping for but it will take the right buyer to pay that amount and this will most likley take some time.

Another price point for you:

There's a 32K mile cloth / t-top car in my area. Excellent condition, stock. He has been trying to sell it for over a year now asking $16K. A couple months back he lowered his price to $13K and still can't find a buyer.

I also agree with the $12-14K assessment for your car's value at the present time, but it might take a while to find a buyer. The fact that your car is leather means potential buyers have a lot of other cars like yours to choose from, which may hurt you. A buyer wanting a cloth car has far less options to choose from, so cloth cars tend to sell a bit faster IMO.

Keep in mind a 690 mile Leather/T-top car on ebay a few weeks ago bid up to $20,100 but did not sell (didn't meet reserve, probably an unrealistic one), and just before that another car with 2900 miles sold for $19,100. It seems all the market will bear right now at the "high end" is around $20K, unless you happen to get two impulse buyers dead set on a particular car and have a bidding war.

Troy

ill give you 5000 j/k. i would love to have that car, there bad ass.really, pontiacs are were my heart is.:D

I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking of selling my 35K mile car with all the mods. Had a couple of nibbles but nothing serious.

I guess it just depends on if the right buyer comes along.

I'm afraid you guys are right! We need a smiley that cries tears ;)

Its very tempting to buy a second or third TTA on the possibility they will go up soon. I've done stupider things in my life experiences :)

Everybody sees mileage as the value.. but honestly mileage has is one issue. And cars on Ebay are usually hiding something. hence why they go to ebay. Just becuase it has 10 K miles doesnt mean the car is pristine.. on the contrary, I have seen 20K mile TTA's I wouldnt give 6000 for. And seen 70K ones that I would pay top dollar based on care and condition.

Here are the points that to me vary the $$ the most,

rear spoiler.. cracked or not
Owners kit.. yes or no..is it complete?
Seats..cracked or not?
Weather stripping..especially around windows/t-tops
how solid is the body, surface rust? actually any rust?
Original paint or repaint?
wrecked?
Engine ever been apart?
tranny?
Rear end howls?
Antenna works?
factory radio and wiring untouched?
headlamps go up-n-down like they should.
All the factory original parts come with the car?
Emblems complete?
Intercooler scoop condition?
Exhuast tips and TTA plug wires?

Hows this for a list.. see this is why you can vary 9000 on the price of a 30K mile vehicle. See with all the above having issues..car can range from 7K to 16K+ due to cost involved in repairing/restoring vehicle. So as far as what the stuff on ebay sells for.. the above list is a taste..

Thoughts?

Tell me that a car with all the above in 90 percent territory cant fetch real $$$. And see why if the above criteria isnt met, why its not worth EBAY prices, which are 20 foot shots of vehicles who's past is questionable. So a TTA is not a TTA just becuase it has 15 K miles..doesnt mean anything, if you have to sink 10K to get it rite.

If you look at your list typically most of the stuff on there is the stuff that goes bad/wears/or is lost as you put on the miles and from general use.
I'm sure that there are GN's with higher miles then my 29k mi GN that can look and possibly be in better shape then mine, as some people can be real anal about taking care of it , but I'm sure 90% are not, you just hope you find that 10%

A big plus for me would be to find a 1 or 2 owner car, usually those people took care of the car a little more.
Lower miles always gets the big $$$$'s unless in bad shape.

Anybody interested in selling their TTA can email me their info since I'm looking:D :) ;)

My car is one of only five pilot cars made. It has 33K on it and very nice. If some one offered me anything close to $20K it would be gone. Now is deffinetly the time to buy and not sell.

With all this kind of talk i might have to add another TTA to my sig ;) I really do think the value of these cars will go back up it just takes time :D all collector cars hit a low and high point :cool:

Originally posted by CHARGED
If you look at your list typically most of the stuff on there is the stuff that goes bad/wears/or is lost as you put on the miles and from general use.

Ya.. these little items make a huge price difference as to the value of the car. People who buy these cars just for mileage, and dont pay attention to these little details, get a big eye opening experience when they go and start putting the car correct. May not mean much to some, to me, if the car is sorta of an investment, means the world...

I also on my above post forgot to mention wheel condition, steering wheel leather, shifter knob leather as three more items of interest.

There is nothing wrong with the market, whats wrong is if you have a really nice car and you think the market is pressuring you to drop your price. Becuase some poor condition cars arent pulling $$$.

Nice is nice..and will get top $$$ reguardless of mileage. Always does.

So whats a 3k Mile TTA with a rebuilt title, wrecked and repaired, some suspension rust, repainted.. worth? Based on mileage and Ebay.. easy 15K. It has nice seats tho :D

See what I mean :rolleyes:

No I don't see what you mean. You would have to be blind and stupid to buy a low mi car just because its low mi with the problems you state. If I went to look at 10k mi car and saw those problems I'd be running in the other direction.

9 out of 10 low mi cars won't have those smaller problems, the more mileage and use a car has the more prone it is of having, worn bolster, worn steering wheel, shifter handel, cracked wing, ect. If I saw that on a 10k mi car I'd be wondering what kind of life this car has had:confused:

What I'm saying is if a 33k and 10k mi car are in equal condition I'm buying the 10k car for the simple reason is the car with the least mi is more valuable.....period..

I don't know the conditions of the lower mi cars that sold on ebay, but thanks to boards like these I know what to look for and what questions to ask so I don't waste my time and more importantly money.:)

Its time to buy TTA's

Originally posted by trophystock
....Now is definitly the time to buy and not sell.

I think Trophystock is right in his conclusion. A multiplicity of factors influence what a rare car like ours will bring on the market. Did anybody watch the Jackson Perkins auction? Bugati's and Duesenbergs in particular were down by the hundreds of thousands this year. Its not just our cars ;)

Sales of rare and classic cars must be a "lagging" indicator of the economy. A year after the economy recovers sufficiently, the price of our cars will rebound some.

Don't forget that our economy tanked in April 2000 (I lost $10k one day in the stock market that Spring), if that wasn't enough, Sept 11th....Typical Americans have been thinking about "other" things besides discressionary spending. Remember how Americans have stayed home in droves....How they have spent money on their homes instead of travel for the past three years....how overall spending has been down the last three Christmas seasons....Not surprising: Sales of our cars is off too.

The public, and car enthusiasts, will "discover" our cars some day and they will sell like Star Wars gear :) GN owners and enthusiasts will discover a white car that doesn't run hot, has good brakes from the factory, has a great suspension without a lot of changes, has a full set of reliable gauges, Flows more air very well in stock form, already has GNX sized wheels (and GNX et's), along with a hundred other cool things Pontiac learned from the already awesome Buicksssssss....When that happens, these cars will all sell in one afternoon ;)

If I had the long term storage space, I'd be filling it up with my current TTA (which excells at all the the items listed above by RAZOR) and get one of these nice 30-60k cars for fun now :cool:

My very rich father-in-law, with an eighth grade education, said this: Buy when they want to sell....And, sell when they want to buy....Get it?

Don't sell now :)

Back