You can type here any text you want

Whats the average price for an engine rebuild?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Its according to how much they have to correct the parts that are being used.
Bore block, turn crank, deck block, line bore, etc etc

My plan

$3500 for parts and labor. I bought the parts through Rock Auto and the board vendors. The big ticket was a new torque converter.

iam not looking to get to crazy.. i would like a low 11sec car with alky. will upgrade turbo and IC. the motor runs good now but has 140K on it and the head gaskets are leaking. i was planning on changing the gaskets myself but i want to do a bigger cam so i figure i might as well do it all at once and leave it to a professional. should i even open the bottom up if its running good? i dont think it has ever been opened.

I can tell you the cheapest way to build a motor that will go low elenens and live.

That's to build it one time, correctly. I'd say build it to go tens, and not have to worry about it.

At low elevens, you'll be pushing about 450 rwhp. Even without knock, the crank starts to flex more than is safe with a stock bottom end. Many people (myself included) have put many runs on stock bottom ends at this level and had them live for quite a while with a "SAFE TUNE". The big problem that I've seen is that this "safe tune" rarely happens and, this much crank flex wears out the bearings much faster. Just remember that cheaper isn't cheaper.

Good luck.
Mike Barnard

Budget about $3500+ so you will have enough left over for beer when done. Use a hydraulic roller cam, but expect noise form the noisy Comp lifters. Flat tappet "can" work, but oil issues will reduce longevity. If you use a flat tappet cam, be SURE to use an addative, and use Shell Rotella, or specific racing oil, over the LIFE of your car to keep it alive. The level at which the engine is rebuilt, will detirmine the cost. Anywhere from $3,000 to $20,000 for a SERIOUS hardcore build. Cheap and good don't live in the Turbo Buick world.

If you live near nashville tennessee i know a guy who did my last 2 motors and they were cheaper than you would think!

BW

Back