You can type here any text you want

Wheel spacer question...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HouTX87

I have a set of 17x8 Torq Thrust II's with 4.5" backspacing off my '81 Z28. 245's front and 255's rear. I tried swapping one of the rears onto my GN and the tire touches the frame. I know that ideally I need 4" of backspacing. Would a 5/16" wheel spacer be enough for me to use these wheels? I'm thinking about just using them to mount up some drag radials for the track.

I'm not saying that Discount or NTB are the authorities on wheels & tires, but any time I've mentioned spacers on wheels to any of the guys there, they say "bad idea". There are more than a few folks on here that use them, though. I know 5/16" doesn't seem like much, but that's a lot of meat to lose on the studs, too. You'll need to consider the amount of thread engagement you lose on the lugs by losing 5/16" of your stud length.

I don't think wheel spacers should ever be a long term solution. I'm looking to make things work with what I have. I've got a pair of 17" M/H drag radials for my dads's srt8 300c and if I could mount them on the TTII's for a few passes at the track it would sure beat going out there on the 225 bfg's the previous owner put the my GN. What I really need to know is will I have enough clearance or would I be wasting my money on the spacers?

Back