You can type here any text you want

Wheel Spacer Safety?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

camino70

I have been talking with shops about getting new wheels and they are all trying to sell me wheels that don't have the right backspacing and tell me that 'spacers are safe', 'we have lots of customers using them', I even spoke with someone from Enkie that told me that spacers are perfectly safe...

I don't know if I believe them, it just doesn't make alot of sense. I am sure it isn't a problem with small spacers, for them to be run occasionally, but they are leading me to believe it is commonplace.

I have been searching and have been unsuccessful to find substantiated evidence either way and was wondering if anyone here had any insight?

TIA

Ron

I believe that the billet-hubcentric spacers that bolt in are safe and i just bought a pair to actually check out. 1" in thickness with 1/2" threaded studs-3" long.

Originally posted by camino70
I have been talking with shops about getting new wheels and they are all trying to sell me wheels that don't have the right backspacing and tell me that 'spacers are safe', 'we have lots of customers using them', I even spoke with someone from Enkie that told me that spacers are perfectly safe...

I don't know if I believe them, it just doesn't make alot of sense. I am sure it isn't a problem with small spacers, for them to be run occasionally, but they are leading me to believe it is commonplace.

I have been searching and have been unsuccessful to find substantiated evidence either way and was wondering if anyone here had any insight?

Look here,
http://www.skulte.com

I've been running his 2" ones for over a year. And had used the 1.25"s for years.
http://home.woh.rr.com/brucesgn/

I run a Just Tires here in chicago, and I do alot of custom wheels. I legally cant put wheel spacers on customers cars. I personally used them on my own car a ways back, and had no problems but I always checked the torque on them. Just remember to have good stud length, and always check the torque on them. If you have the chance to get the right backspacing vs a cheaper wheel, you'll save money and heartache knowing your wheel wont fly off.

You cant always get wheels with the right backspacing if they dont make them- my case in point 15" x 9" pro-star XPs with a 4.5" backspacing, only 5.5" backspacing is available and Weld wont even custom make them. So i had to get a 1" billet adapter. 8" rim was too narrow and 10" s are too wide, 9" rim is just right!

I can understand you wanting what you want, and that's cool, but for me, I'd just pick something different so as not to deal with spacers intentionally. There's many, many, styles and brands of wheels. ;)

Dennis Kirban been running 1" spacers on his personal T for quite a few years now with no problems.

I don't see a problem with spacers as long as they are a quality piece and you have proper thread engagment.

To give you an idea we ran a world challenge mustang with 3/4" wheel spacers all the way around with no problems. This car will see much more side loads than any Buick guaranted!

The thing you need to keep in mind is many of the wheels on the aftermarket are NOT hub centric to begin with. When you purchase wheels off the shelf with a 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern for a chevy, they are not hub centric (or I should say very rarely).

Just my opinion, but I do deal with this on a daily basis! :)

Thanks

Back