When to use alcohol ?

I wouldn't go pulling the cam out just to swap cams. There have been lots of bad experiences with cams going flat. Unless you're planning on going to a roller cam, I wouldn't recommend it, unless the current cam has problems.

I am not familiar with a roller cam. Did you mean roller lifters?

I was going to install a cam a little hotter on the exhaust side. I knew they all came with only OK valve springs by reading this forum so I wanted to replace the 23 years old ones. As long as the springs are off, it costs no more labor to replace the retainers with lighter ones.

There were several to choose from near stock but one cam was on sale with better springs, titanium retainers in a kit for less than the other brands cam only. I was not thinking roller lifters. Are they an expensive item? Clearly if there is more pressure on a lifter from more psi springs, there will be a better chance to wear out the cam or lifter. But, what I do not know is how big a deal that means. Sometime around then, GM was using a soft cam and one was made out of nodular iron but I do not know which is which.

Last thing you do on these motors is go into it. That is Pandora's box. And one you will regret.

The motor will not make more power changing the cam on a stock application especially running low boost. That would be the biggest waste of money.

You can do valve springs.. and a timing chain. Those are known issue area's.

Alcohol is best consumed before making a purchase...make sure that your spouse has more than you while explaining said purchase...more alcohol should be consumed while installing purchase...more when finished. :biggrin:

Sorry just couldn't resist...

Love it. :biggrin: :D

Bruce '87 Grand National

My wife has actually perfected the "when to use alcohol". She recently wanted a new washer and dryer. She suggested that we stop at the local Mexican restaurant for "a big as my head margarita". I don't remember much after that but the next day Lowes arrived at the front door with the prettiest matching ruby red $2800 front loading washer and dryer!

L O L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::tongue: That was great!!! You guys can be funny as hell. Thanks!!!:wink:

Bruce '87 Grand National