TE45A which exh housing should I use?

626gn

Currently working on a new build. The TE45A I was using before will go back on but I’m not sure if I should stay with the Precision .63 exhaust housing or switch to the smaller Garrett .63. I’ve read many old threads on the subject but I’m still not sure which way to go on my particular build. It’s going to be a street car so I’m not looking to squeeze everything out of the turbo otherwise I wouldn’t even consider the Garrett but at the same time don’t want to give up too much up top while still being responsive on the bottom.

The new motor will be a 109 long rod stroker with all forged internals; ~9.5:1 CR; 206/206 billet roller; ported irons; +/- 24psi; E85. I have not ordered a converter yet but it will be a 9.5” NL built for the combo.

So which exhaust housing (Precision .63 or Garrett .63) would be better to run? I’ve been told to run the Garrett because it would be more responsive on the street. With the new build being a stroker, higher compression, and with a good converter, I feel like I should stay with the Precision. I’d like to hear from those who have real experience between the 2 housings on a 45A.

I agree with Thumper- I ran that turbo about 7 years ago with a .63 precison housing on a stroker engine with 93/Alky and it spool really good on the street. Ran 10.30"s at the track with low 1.50 sixty ft off the foot brake without a 2-step device, TTweak 6.1 chip and stock ignition on the car. My engine compression was only 8.06:1 stroker engine- you should be able to spool that turbo easily with 9.5:1 compression and E85 fuel which the exhaust gas burn is excellent for turbo engines which creates faster spool times.

Haulz A

"Quick spool" is all relative. Stay with the Precision and try it out on that combo before making any decision. No need to spend money in places it's not needed.

10.0 is what I’m going with a Precision .63 ar housing. My combo is in the signature. From what I was told I would loose a little mph but with the quick spool of the Garrett housing I might pickup on et. I might try it this year.

10.0 is what I’m going with a Precision .63 ar housing. My combo is in the signature. From what I was told I would loose a little mph but with the quick spool of the Garrett housing I might pickup on et. I might try it this year.
Thanks nova, I've been following your other post and was hoping you would chime in.

that was a p trim with precision .63. Before I knew how to tune, that was a stock bottom end with trw pistons.

With your build, stroker, compression and e85 it’ll probably spool like now.

Thanks nova, I've been following your other post and was hoping you would chime in.
With 9.5 compression that 45a will light up even with the precision .63 housing. Contact Dave Husek and tell him what you have and he get you a converter for your combo. I have his 3521 nl, I picked up half a second over my art carr 16930 with Dave’s converter.

With 9.5 compression that 45a will light up even with the precision .63 housing. Contact Dave Husek and tell him what you have and he get you a converter for your combo. I have his 3521 nl, I picked up half a second over my art carr 16930 with Dave’s converter.
I have talked to Dave a couple times although I may try out Lonnie's. Still deciding...
Assuming that half second pickup was with no other changes but converter, that's impressive!

So which exhaust housing (Precision .63 or Garrett .63) would be better to run?
it depends on how your going to run the car and how the combo is set up.the garret.63 will take more of the flatfoot lag out of the car and with the proper traction will get you off the light faster.its more fun to drive with a better responding turbo car.now fill the ex housing with a t brake or upgraded footbrake setup and drive it that way and the pte 63 will get it done too.

Keep the housing you have. I have the same turbo and its great on the street. On the footbrake at the line 0psi to 20+ psi boost in half a second or so according to the logs.

I have the same turbo and its great on the street.
hmmm,is this a high comp motor?really havent seen too many 66 cast turbos spool fast off the footbrake even in bb and most guys dont like the way they spool,they need to be loaded up to really get moving.

hmmm,is this a high comp motor?really havent seen too many 66 cast turbos spool fast off the footbrake even in bb and most guys dont like the way they spool,they need to be loaded up to really get moving.

I have a full race TSM motor. I need a bigger turbo, but anything over 13 psi on the street is no traction.

With the new build being a stroker, higher compression, and with a good converter, I feel like I should stay with the Precision.
It will spool noticeably better and that 45a is a badass turbo. When you bolt a bigger engine to it,it will spool faster. You're already running ethanol so you've experienced the quicker tire spinning spool times it produces. I still think that the Garrett would be better for you,but your bigger engine will spin that turbine up faster than the smaller one and I'm sure that you will like it. The Garrett can be added later after you cure your new traction problems.

It will spool noticeably better and that 45a is a badass turbo. When you bolt a bigger engine to it,it will spool faster. You're already running ethanol so you've experienced the quicker tire spinning spool times it produces. I still think that the Garrett would be better for you,but your bigger engine will spin that turbine up faster than the smaller one and I'm sure that you will like it. The Garrett can be added later after you cure your new traction problems.
Thanks for chiming in, I always value your input. The new motor is not quite ready yet but it’s getting there… I was just going to run it with the Precision .63 and see how I liked it and go from there but as fate would have it a Garrett .63 landed in my hands after I started this thread so now the question is which one do I bolt up first? Lol.

I’ve been proved wrong before lol but have them machine your 65 ex wheel for the Garrett .82. You would be going the wrong way , going down in size broski.

Traction will be there so it’s safer on the street not to mention less back pressure ...not just tire spin all over the street lol...You will pick up some mph up top too.

Lol Don’t be one of those who stick a tiny 63 Garrett on a 6665 To help spool up to cover up the fact that your combinations doesn’t match... most retarded thing I’ve ever heard...lmfao newer gen 2 5862 .85 would make more power than that monster 6665 with tiny .63 Garrett

I have installed about 100 45A's, and always used a Garrett stock housing.

A typical experience on a 3.8 engine it went from mid-10's t0 to 10.2 easy!