You can type here any text you want

Where can I buy a new timing cover?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KILL4PEACEUSMC

Team Infidel
I wonder were or even if someone is reproducing front timing covers. I called my local GM dealer and was told they quit making them in 95. Thanks

I wish I would have bought one a few weeks ago, got one coming now, thanks for the info! I just got done with my short bock and Im a little disipointed with the oil psi, and my cover was looking sad. I checked the gear to adapter twice, its good. Hope the cover does the trick. All the cam and crank bearings were installed with no issues. 20lbs at idle.

I wish I would have bought one a few weeks ago, got one coming now, thanks for the info! I just got done with my short bock and Im a little disipointed with the oil psi, and my cover was looking sad. I checked the gear to adapter twice, its good. Hope the cover does the trick. All the cam and crank bearings were installed with no issues. 20lbs at idle.

If your buying an aftermarket cover check it over closely before installation. I have had 2 bad experiences. First time was porosity around one of tapped oil pump holes that would not let the cover seal. The second experience was the cam sensor bore was mislocated causing the cam sensor gear to mesh too tight to the cam gear. Cam sensor could not be installed.
I know of a couple of other cases of cam sensor installation issues also.
I would recommend a test fit before the final install.

I got a GM timing cover from gmpartsdirect.com back in Sept, part # 25522648.

good advise! I will check to be sure, I hate haing to do things twice! Being a tech by trade, we are always looking to "flat rate" work, its hard to switch gears working on our own vehicles. I should have waited to put that old cover back on.........live and learn

Aftermarket timing covers are VERY poor quality. The last one I purchased had the main feed gallery COMPLETLY blocked off. They hadn't drilled the hole. They must have missed a step in the build process. I really didn't care, though, as I do a TON of work to any timing cover before I install them, anyway. All the oil passages need to be radiused. The oil pump clearances are usually way too loose, too. I tend to put about 2-3 hours into a timing cover to get things right. I set the oil pump thrust clearance to .0005"-.0015" max. TA Performance sells pump shims to help you set it up right. If you don't want to tackle it yourself, drop me a PM, and I'll see if I can fit you in. Before you start grinding on the timing cover, be sure to check the cam sensor alignment. I, too, had a aftermarket timing cover with the alignment bad and when the engine first started up, it sent aluminum shavings through the brand new engine. The side load on the cam sensor was so bad that it spun the lower bushing in the sensor and sent all the aluminum "dust" through the engine. I though I had lost a cam bearing. So I pulled the engine and tore it down only to find that the bearings were all like brand new. It took a bit of investigating to find the bad sensor, and figure out why it went bad. That cheap timing cover cost me thousands of dollars in labor.:mad: :mad: Check those things out CAREFULLY! Some guys are lucky and they work fine. The last one I bought lined up good, but had the passage "issues".

Ken, I too put in a new cam sensor at the same time. I will will update my post after I receive my new cover. Thanks for the great Info! Ive got great morning oil pressure, 50lbs at idle, but after I drive to work (normal driving) its down to 10 lbs at idle, and at 2-3000 rpm driving its at 30-35 lbs. What do you think? Thanks Will

Aftermarket timing covers are VERY poor quality. The last one I purchased had the main feed gallery COMPLETLY blocked off. They hadn't drilled the hole. They must have missed a step in the build process. I really didn't care, though, as I do a TON of work to any timing cover before I install them, anyway. All the oil passages need to be radiused. The oil pump clearances are usually way too loose, too. I tend to put about 2-3 hours into a timing cover to get things right. I set the oil pump thrust clearance to .0005"-.0015" max. TA Performance sells pump shims to help you set it up right. If you don't want to tackle it yourself, drop me a PM, and I'll see if I can fit you in. Before you start grinding on the timing cover, be sure to check the cam sensor alignment. I, too, had a aftermarket timing cover with the alignment bad and when the engine first started up, it sent aluminum shavings through the brand new engine. The side load on the cam sensor was so bad that it spun the lower bushing in the sensor and sent all the aluminum "dust" through the engine. I though I had lost a cam bearing. So I pulled the engine and tore it down only to find that the bearings were all like brand new. It took a bit of investigating to find the bad sensor, and figure out why it went bad. That cheap timing cover cost me thousands of dollars in labor.:mad: :mad: Check those things out CAREFULLY! Some guys are lucky and they work fine. The last one I bought lined up good, but had the passage "issues".

I have one of turbofabricator's blue printed stock covers . He does a REAL NICE job on them and is a first class guy to deal with . you will NOT be disappointed . :)

Back