where do i start?

DragCamaro

Real-Keeper
hey everybody, im extremely new to the world of buicks but im looking at an 86 GN right now. i dont know too much about how these cars function, so im wondering where do most people start with modifications? i work in a garage so im not an idiot under the hood, im just not up to date with the 3.8's. if you want to know about anything on an LS1, LT1 or any f-body i could tell you off the top of my head.
wheres the best place to start though? exhaust is usually crucial on a turbo car so i figure that will need to be done, but what about chips? is it safe to up the boost any on a relatively stock engine? ive only talked to the guy on the phone, and he says the car is stock except for a larger turbo, he didnt know anything about it though, so i guess ill just have to wait and see.
sorry if this has been asked before, but id appreciate any help :)
ah also, im trading a 2000 z28 camaro for this, how does a GN compare performance wise to this? its basically stock but i rebuilt the tranny with a good shift kit and about a 3500 stall.
thanks for any help
Mark

I would be real careful before I trade my ride for an unknown. Find someone who really knows these cars to take a look at the GN and ask a lot of questions. If you don't get straight answers walk away, FAST.

yea im a little skittish honestly. whats should i look out for? the guy just had the transmission rebuilt, new interior, new turbo, all the AC componets have been replaced, the rearend has just been rebuilt, and the engine was just tuned up. he says he doesnt know a whole lot about the cars but the guy that he has do the work does. he was origionally going to sell it to him but he likes my car better and the guy has no money lol

how does a GN compare performance wise to this?

toss a few parts at it...get a damn good tune and your into the 11's..answer your question?
if your camaro is pretty much stock ecept the stall and shift kit...If you and I lined em up..when you got a look at my front end lifting, that cold air howlin and that turbo screaming... well enough said

guys on here slaughtering most on the street...trade that camaro and jump aboard... at least you can wrench so your already one up.

If you end purchasing the car the first thing I'd do is do the spring cleaning....which is basically a spring tune up, oil/trans fluid/rear diff. oil change, fuel filter change, etc. You can find it on the GNTTYPE.org page.

Once that was done next you're gonna need a scan tool, such as a Scanmaster and a Turbo Tweak chip. The chip is set to run off todays fuels. You just need to know what injectors you're running or you can order new 60 lb injectors when you order the chip and possibly never have to touch them again. While you're at it spend an extra $120 for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to aid in tuning.

Then once you know what the engine is doing via the Scanmaster and all looks good, you can order an Alky control kit from Razors. If all checks well you can start tuning up the boost a little at a time while watching for knock. Speaking of knock you'll also want to purchase a Caspers knock alarm. That way you will know to let off the pedal while in boost if you hear it go off or see the Scanmaster showing increasing knock retard.

You are correct exhaust is crucial but most will say the stock exhaust will get you well into the 12's, after that you'll want to go with a bigger down pipe and a straight shot exhaust.

There's other parts to include but these are the basics. I've not been in an LS1 F body for awhile now, but I'd say the GN when turned right could give it a run for it's money, with about the same fuel economy, all while doing it on a 1/4 less cylinders.

Trade

DragCamaro where are you from. Maybe there are a few local Buick guys around your neck of the woods that can go with you and give the car a good looking over. Sounds like the guy has put some money into the 86 sounds like he's gone thru it except for the engine. How many miles does it have ??. Did he get the car from the original owner hopefully an old man or lady. If he put a larger turbo the car should have larger injectors and a matching chip. Did a local shop rebuild the tranny or did he have a Buick tranny guru rebuild it? Do a compression test on the engine. I'd trade the Camaro if that GN is clean and runs good.

yeah as Chavo said ....do a comp test first and fore most....i didnt post much info above ..prolly due to the fact that you was wondering about how these cars compare performance wise and with that said I was like
"oh man just wait".. "brutal white knuckle acceleration"

So anyway if the comp test checks out, around 150 per cylinder..trade away but dont go jumping on it untill you got a scan tool that registers knock as also stated above.

he said the engine has been gone through too but he didnt say what, ill ask next time i talk to him. im from south charleston WV, the car is in colombus mississippi, and i have no idea where im going to meet the guy at.
for performance comparisons my z runs around a 12.5 give or take in the 1/4

the car has 122000 miles

i was already planning on a spring cleaning when i get it, what kind of oil do u guys run weight wise?

really im excited to get into these cars, the only downside seems to be the handling will be a bit worse and ive never heard one in person, but im skeptical about the sound.
but the upside is it will be fast, unique, great looking, and now i have a backseat :biggrin:

btw are there any f body parts i can use to improve on the car? i have a complete set of LS1 brakes, a few radiators, about 4 mas air flows, ws6 springs, and some other oddball stuff

Man its a tough call, by looking at the pics...there is no scan tool inside or any kind of knock gauge, that guy coulda been romping on it for a long time doing all kinds of damage.

its a stock turbo or maybe a ta49, it does have vac brakes conversion

if there was a way you could have a comp test done and have it verified?
a local guy from me got an 87 with like 30K in miles..all stock, once i hooked up the scanmaster for him, we took it out and he was getting gobs of knock and would have never known with out that scan tool

guess it comes down to how bad you want in, the Fbody stuff like the rad, mafs will fit.... all will atest to the fact that once you get the proper upgrades you'll be 0 to 60 in under 4.... these cars are friggun brutal

brutal in power and if not careful...brutal on the wallet

mike

idk im scared about drivability and rust most of all right now. that z is my daily driver, and this will be too, i just dont know if thats a good idea. and i just beat a new GTO today so im happy with it again lol.
heres a bad pic of my z, i just got done painting it about 2 weeks ago, i still havent buffed it
0806081529-00.jpg

i could always bring my compression tester up there when i go to get it, but then id just get to see if im screwed or not before i drive it home haha. ill see what the guy can do for me
TA49's are good for low 11's arent they?

Camaro looks nice but since there are about a zillion of em on the road like crapstangs...a dime a dozen

You need to find someone close to you that you can go for a ride with...Start a thread with someone local in your area thats willing to take you for a spin.

you need to do that and once you do...like most, you will be sold.

I use mine for a DD, on the hyway i get around 25 mpg and most of the time i only put about 18#s of boost if im merging or passing etc. IM tuned to run about 26#s

you drive the camaro and you'll get a look.
you drive the buick and you'll get stares and those that know wont test you, those who dont know will test you and never test another one again

so say you make the trade... you will still need about 1500 to 2k to add the goodies

Final note...if im doing 65 or 70 and kick it down I can roast street tires and kick the car sideways...thats torque

If you do end up getting it and making it your daily driver, keep in mind the TR's are hot theft cars. I'm not sure how often LS1 F bodies are stolen (someone who knows please chime in) but I'd be willing to say a TR is hotter theft car.

True GN's get lots of looks, as most know what they are. The non GN turbo cars get fewer looks, until they realize it's not grandma's sunday grocery getter. ;)

theres actually an 87 t type thats a little closer but i know even less about the car. what do the GN's have that the t types dont besides the appearence stuff and interior? does anyone have a picture of a t types interior, i like the grand nationals a lot but ive never saw a t type

camaros arent really too bad about theft, but thats because most people that have then trash them.

they acutually have a great security system factory.

im just kinda f-body'd out. ive owned 4 different ones that were my drivers, and as of now i have a 98 being built for A/SA (stock auto NHRA) a 99 ss vert 6 speed, a 99 WS6, and my car i showed u. i just want something different thats a little more comfortable and fast.

Mark,

V6RACER on the boards(Jason White) lives in Central MS. I would PM him and see if he knows the owner/GN your looking at. He knows these turbo cars. He might be close enough to take a peek at it for you.

theres actually an 87 t type thats a little closer but i know even less about the car. what do the GN's have that the t types dont besides the appearence stuff and interior? does anyone have a picture of a t types interior, i like the grand nationals a lot but ive never saw a t type

The difference between a GN and a T type is a GN came all black with a grey/black interior and a T type could come in any color of the fisher line, with any color of the fisher line.

But the GN and T type both share the same engine, same trans, same rear end, same hood. The 84-85 GN used the lightweight 10 fin aluminum wheels, then went to steel in '86 while the T type kept the lightweight 10 fin aluminum rims. Plus I believe all GN's were bucket seat console shift cars whereas some T types were bench seat column shifted cars, while others were bucket seat console shifts.

Plus GN's are more recognized whereas T types are sort of the sleeper car. GN's usually fetch a little more than a T type which is ok by me because I'd rather pay low dollar and be incognito. :cool:

If you ever go to the for sale area and look at some of the T types on there you can see what the interiors looked like.