You can type here any text you want

Where do your wires connect at the starter?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bob Avellar

I thought I repaired my engine harness to the starter (fusable links and start wire to the solenoid). When I did this for some reason I used small ring terminals to connect to one of the small posts on the starter solenoid. At the time i thought that the only wire that connected to the large post on the starter was the battery cable. When I connected the fusable links to the R terminal at the starter there was no power at this terminal. My solenoid has an R and S terminal plus the big post. In order to get power to the links i had to jumper the large post to the R terminal and I don't remember having to have a jumper there before. Maybe I used small ring terminals because I was looking at a regular Regal harness or something- not sure. I can't say I remember the links being connected to the large post but after searching the BB I am under the impression that all the fusable links connect to the Main large post along with the battery cable and the start wire goes to the S terminal. Evidently no connections are made to the R terminal on the soenoid. This is not an original starter/solenoid and it has an R and S terminal.
How many terminals are supposed to be on an original starter/ solenoid and where do they connect? I tend to forget what went where when the process of restoring the GN takes 1 1/2 yrs.

Bob,

I have never had the starter off my GN so take this advice with a grain of salt. On any GM car that I have ever owned the small wires go to the S terminal. This is usually the terminal closest to the block (small block chevy experience only here). This is the post that powers the solenoid so your car will start. At least one of those wires will only have 12 volts to it when your key is turned to the start position.

I don't think you use the R terminal for anything but again all of my starter experience is small block chevy. The outside terminal on those starters is almost always empty. I would be careful about jumpering anything. Good luck.

small wire on S for Start

big wire goes on the main lug for power, fuseable links also connect to that main lug...
No wires connect to R

HTH

ps
BlownZ, thanks for croping those pics for me yesterday!!!

small wire on S for Start

big wire goes on the main lug for power, fuseable links also connect to that main lug...
No wires connect to R

OK, that confirms what I see in the electrical drawings. Don't have a clue why I put small ring terminals on. Thanks.

Back