You can type here any text you want

Where to get a rebuilt steering box?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T TIME

Too much play in the wheel! I've been driving like this too long it is starting to irratate me. I feel like I'm in one of those old TV shows.
I've heard of places that you can get a quicker ratio and the internal stops are set for the vehcle application; as opposed to just putting in an f-body gear box. I'm wanting only 1 turn from centered steering wheel to lock instead of 1.5.
Who sells them and how much?

Have you tried adjusting it?? Easy to do, just loosen the jam nut and tighten a 1/4 turn at a time. Road test after each quarter turn. You don't want it too tight. If that doesn't work, I have a 60K mile GN box sitting on the shelf. But the shipping would suck on something like that. There's also the possibility that you have other steering components worn causing slop. HTH

I did already adjust it and it did help some. And I'm sure I need most of the other steering components too, but I'm sure this gear box is worn out. I have a couple gear boxes laying around too(one from my 86 donor that I don't recall this problem with), but if I could get a rebuilt one with a quicker ratio, I would prefer to do that. Not that I have extra $$$ to throw away but I'd like to put one in that I shouldn't have to worry about for quite some time. My brother also has this problem in his 84 t type and he even has all new inner/outer tie rods, center link, and idler arm or pitman arm (forgot which one).
Any chance this is more common on 84 TRs with the hydro boost setup?
By the way, I'm not trying to avoid changing the other steering parts. They will be replaced along with gear box.
Also, I no longer have the hydro boost as I have powermaster now.

Not sure about the 84s, but the 86 / 87 box is the quicker ratio box. I know the 3rd gen Camaro box will fit, but only increase the ratio slightly and there will be issues with the internal steering stops.

84s have the quicker ratio as well. The reason I mentioned something about the 84s is that I was wondering if the hydro boost set up(84s only) could possibly cause a shorter life of the box compared to a power steering system set up to control steering only(85-87-powermaster).
It is possible that it is just worn; my car does have over 125K miles on it and so does my brother's 84(same problem). My other brother has well over 100k miles on his 87 T LTD and doesn't have any play in the wheel. The 86 I had before it turned into donor had over 125k too- steering was nice and tight. This is why I was wondering if at all possible the hydro boost could play a role in a worn gear box. Unless the pump was higher pressure/volume, Is it possible the box starved more since the pump ran the brakes too?
I like the feel of the f body box better- it is tighter. And if it was't for the internal stops, I would put one in. I don't want to lose my turn radius though. This is why I was originally asking who sells rebuilds or customs.
Yeah, I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too.
Damn TR owners are so picky.:D

Back