Where to take slicks to get them mounted to my rims

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
Last time I got tires mounted I went to the local wal-mart with my street tires (BFG 265/50/16's) and had them mount them to my GNX rims and they had a hell of a time getting the old tires off. Also they had a hard time putting them on the rims for some reason. One guy goes "man those performance tires always do that, they are hard to mount" Then the dumbasses forget to balance them like I wanted! So I took them back and said "you forgot to balance my tires" they are like OH...lol

anyways I have a new set of M/T Drag 26x8.5x15's coming soon and was wondering where can I take these things to get them mounted on my stock rims without hassels??? I don't want no more BS! and since this is my first time with slicks...do they need to be balanced as well?

The lower the profile the harder the tire to mount.

Your slicks will almost fall onto the wheels by themselves...lol. Even Walmart can handle slicks. Remember to have a metal valve stem put in....required for racing. And if you're not going to run tubes then spread lots of liquid dishwashing soap like Joy inside each slick. This stops the tires from leaking air out of the pores. And it really works!

The bigger the tire the bigger the need for balancing.

I agree.. If there are no tires on the rims then some dish soap and two good feet to stand on the beads and they fall right on.

ks:cool:

Years ago I had a soft sidewall M&H "street" tire that was destroyed by a dumb-ass at a Firestone dealer (they paid for it, but it was all around a big hassle).

I would be leary of having any specialty tire mounted by a mass-market retailer. I'd seek out a regional or local dealer who may have more experience with high-perf tires in general, and who is willing to listen to you regarding your needs.

Having tires mounted on a "slow" day would be better , so they don't feel pressured to rush the job.

Believe it or not...you might try a motorcycle shop. The slicks have VERY thin sidewalls are are quite easy to put on. The motorcycle shops (at least the ones that deal with older bikes) usually have a set of tire irons you (or they) could use to put the slicks on the rims. You'll have to find someone old enough to know what tire irons even are though!

Then you could take them to a "regular" tire place to have them balanced. (Use stick on weights....plus I covered the weights with some black racer's tape / duct tape)

Another good bet would be to talk to some of the roundy-round racers and find out where they have their tires mounted.

Good Luck,
John

Tom H, funny you should mention Firestone as I went there today to get my Hoosier Q/T Pros removed from my old rims and remounted and when I told him they had tubes in them he wouldn't touch them. Pretty bad when a tire store can't change tires with tubes in them. I have a friend who has a wheel repair shop in town and will try to have him do them.