You can type here any text you want

Which block for 10 sec

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

reaper68

Ok,
basically what I am looking for is a dead reliable engine for astreet driven car that's capable of mid 10's. (Yeah I know these are the cars you chase with wrenches). Anyways which block would you guys start with Stock, Stage, or the TA block.

Would you still say 109 if your talking 10.00-10.20
all day long.:confused: Rule of thumb. If you want a long term relationship with you motor. And you want to run 10s low. You build a 9sec. motor Correct. And still streetable. In my twisted little mind I would build a 9 sec. combo, mid-to high 9s just to run 10-10.5 and STILL DRIVE IT HOME W/AC. So for a 9.00 sec motor to live happily
in that range not just the ability to dip down there once in a while would you still use the 109?

I would suggest a GM Performance Parts LSX block and REALLY be able to do all you say, and keep going, and going, and going. A much power a Buick V6 can make, a GM LSX will do it for MUCH longer and cheaper. If you have a bunch of money, then go with a StageII, TA, or wait for the Champion iron block.
To really do what you want, you will NEED a HUGE budget to work with. It will set you back at least $25,000-$35,000. No way around it, unless you do all the work yourself. If you do ALL the work yourself, then reduce the amount needed to start to $25,000.;) Transmission, rear-end, suspension, turbo, headers, fuel system, aftermarket 'puter, roll bar, wheels/tires, gauges, plumbing, intercooler, exhaust, light weight parts($$$$), brakes, driveline, torque converter, oh ya, and spark plugs.....LOTS of spark plugs.;)

Nothing a wheel barrow full of money won't fix.:)

I know the LS plants are dam impressive I have a 05 GTO that with H/C and bolts ons would put down around 500rwhp, but I really want to build a 6 if I go with a Buick. Honestly I would be looking at a long term project and 25000 wouldn't be to bad I can wrench on things myself no problem. Granted I would probably still have some outside help. Either way just looking for what would be best to start from I don't want to piss away 12000 on a engine and have it nuke when I could have spent 15000 and have a solid block

120 9.90 passes last year on my 109 block. It's still alive too.

Well my stock block GN will run 10's every run all day with tranny problems and 19 pounds of boost on pump gas and drag radials and drive it any where with the a/c on and my LS1 has 1047 runs the best I can add so either way

I have probably 150+ passes on my 109 block in the mid 10's...I drive it on the street all the time...still going strong...used to have A/C but I decided to take it off because I wasn't using it...cost for motor was around $8500 but I built the motor myself and all parts were new...only thing I paid to have done was machining of the block...

I love my buicks, but as far as reliability I would go with an LS1. My buddy has one and he goes 10.30's with spray and 12.00 on motor. He also sprays the car like its going outta style:eek:

Ha you guys make it sound like I should just put an aps twin setup on the gto and hang it up. Are the buick's that bad? You make it sound like working on a ford :eek:

Ok,
basically what I am looking for is a dead reliable engine for astreet driven car that's capable of mid 10's. (Yeah I know these are the cars you chase with wrenches). Anyways which block would you guys start with Stock, Stage, or the TA block.

Dead reliable depends on a lot of factors. Tuning is a huge part of that.

If I was starting from scratch I would get a TA block. Yes it's overkill for mid tens, but if funds allow, why not? If your like most of us, your gonna want to go faster... Also, have a reputable builder put it together.

If you want easy/reliable 10's, built it capable of running 9's.

Another good 6 cylinder engine is the 2JZ from the supras, dont know to much about thier reliability but guys squeeze tons of power outta those too. and a turbo on your gto would be awsome. Its not that buicks arent bad its the fact that they nickle and dime you to DEATH and they are never really finished, plus parts are expensive and owning these cars are mentally straining

oh come on!!!! My GN is the only car that gives me a mental boner every time I drive it.

I agree with that when the cars run right i definatly get a hard-on;) . But when they take a sh it i just feel like putting the windows down and driving into the lake with some calming music on:eek: But they are without a doubt one of the most badass powerplants out there, and you dont know if there running 13's or 9's when you see them on the road.

Back