You can type here any text you want

which engine oil is best

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jimski

In over my head
Which engine oil and or oil treatment is best for my 82/83 carbed turbo.I have it purring like a kitten now and would like to keep it that way:biggrin:

Which engine oil and or oil treatment is best for my 82/83 carbed turbo.I have it purring like a kitten now and would like to keep it that way:biggrin:

lots of threads on this. lots of opinions too. probably a good idea to do a search and read what has been said. also do a search for "ZDDP"

HTH

Rob
:cool:

FWIW, I run Royal Purple and add a bottle of ZDDP with each oil change.

Prior to the availability of ZDDP in a bottle (and after it was removed from commercially available motor oils) I was running diesel engine oil.

diesel oil is not made for gasoline engines and will never be for gasoline engines. there is no deturgents for sludge that is for gasoline engines. there is soot additives for diesel engines. and its to thick for gasoline engines.

diesel oil is not made for gasoline engines and will never be for gasoline engines. there is no deturgents for sludge that is for gasoline engines. there is soot additives for diesel engines. and its to thick for gasoline engines.

I agree on the detergents. the best way to address that issue was to change the diesel motor oil more often and use a high quality filter. I'm not saying that is the same as having properly formulated detergents in the oil, but it was the best way to work with what was available.

as for it not being made for gasoline engines, true, but for a while it was the best option (although *far* from ideal) for flat-tappet engines after the EPA banned the use of zinc and phosphorous from all motor oils made for gasonline engines. The zinc and phosphorous were added as anti-scuffing agents to protect bearing and valve-train wear surfaces. Diesel motor oil still had these critical components for a while - although it's my understanding they have now been removed from diesel motor oil as well. You can now buy the correct formulation of the zinc and phosphorous compound seperately (ZDDP) and add it to any motor oil.

as for being too thick...when I was running diesel motor oil I ran 15w40. I'm now running 10w40 for gasoline engines and I'm confident the difference between the two viscosities is insignificant in a Buick.

:cool:

Back