You can type here any text you want

Which manifold to use

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

monkeyy337

I've got two manifolds to choose from for my Buick V6 motor. Although I haven't decided what body style the motor will go in it will be used for bracket racing only, no street driving. My engine details are as follows:
1. 231 even fire bored 0.060 over
2. Decent hydraulic TA camshaft (I don't know lift/duration)
3. 1987 Turbo heads with minor port/polish and 1.77 intake valves
4. HEI distributor with Accel module/Accel rotor/Accel Cap/Taylor plug wires
5. Hooker headers
6. 390 Holley four barrel carburator
The two types of manifold I have are a Edelbrock Performer and a Holley Street Dominator. Your comments please.

I've got two manifolds to choose from for my Buick V6 motor. Although I haven't decided what body style the motor will go in it will be used for bracket racing only, no street driving. My engine details are as follows:
1. 231 even fire bored 0.060 over
2. Decent hydraulic TA camshaft (I don't know lift/duration)
3. 1987 Turbo heads with minor port/polish and 1.77 intake valves
4. HEI distributor with Accel module/Accel rotor/Accel Cap/Taylor plug wires
5. Hooker headers
6. 390 Holley four barrel carburator
The two types of manifold I have are a Edelbrock Performer and a Holley Street Dominator. Your comments please.

I personally prefer the Holly but the eldebrock will do the same. The difference is that you can port the s**t out of the Holly. You also need a bigger carb. The late sixty's early 70's Q-jet is a great option. (630 cfm)Porting is always a good idea but mild is not the way to go for an n/a engine. Find out the lift ect of the cam you have and give us an idea of what it is. I used to run a Skyhawk in the 80's and got in the 14's with my combo and a 4 speed.

I personally prefer the Holly but the eldebrock will do the same. The difference is that you can port the s**t out of the Holly. You also need a bigger carb. The late sixty's early 70's Q-jet is a great option. (630 cfm)Porting is always a good idea but mild is not the way to go for an n/a engine. Find out the lift ect of the cam you have and give us an idea of what it is. I used to run a Skyhawk in the 80's and got in the 14's with my combo and a 4 speed.
Is the early Q jet you mention the one that came on the 4.1 motor? Also, what is an n/a engine, I don't know that term?

If you get a Q-Jet book it will help you get a better idea of what I'm talking about. The 75 and up carbs are not as easily tunable as the early ones. The early ones are the ones that my buddy's like for dirt track and seem to work better. The design is calle a 4m design. the later ones ar m4 through e4me designs. The later one are more for emissions. If you'd like to use a remote coil you can use the 75 6cyl truck distributor cap. Coil not in cap but HEI.

What is your compression ratio? That will make a big difference on which manifold to select. I had the Performer on my engine with just over stock compression and it ran great. It was mid 14's at 4500 foot elevation. I then went to an open plenum Kenne Bell and even though the car was lightened more and improved upon, the et didn't get better. It was a trade between low end and high end power for zero net gain. My car is really light too so the dual plane makes a big difference. My suggestion is to use the Performer if you have less than 9 to 1 and use a Holley 600 carb. I know it sounds big but with a N/A Buick V6, they almost can't be over cammed or over carbed. The cam for my new engine is 250 260. An RV cam you ask? Nope, that is at .050 and still not considered huge!

Will my engine combo support a holley 650 double pumper carb or do I need to stick with a 600 vac sec holley? As this car (TR7) is light and I have been taking even more weight out of it (Bracket racing car only) with 3:55 gears and 205-50-14 rear tires (about 22" tall, MT drag radials) and a 2800 stall convertor. I know this is probably to much convertor and to small a rear tire but I'm wanting to use what I already have. Your comments are welcome.

Back