You can type here any text you want

Which Timing chain, Valve springs for stock motor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BoostedTtype

Hey guys I need a bit of help choosing which timing chain and valve springs to upgrade to on a stock motor, stock cam etc..

Also plan on doing Cometics .040 gaskets.. Anyone know a good place to get some for stock bore motor..

Part numbers and vendor names would be a great help also...... Thanks

For the cometics I think the block & head surface needs to machined for a 50 RA.

Stock chain and stock springs for a stock setup. Get Federal-Mogul, Sealed-Power, Clevite, Melling, etc at your local Advance, Autozone, NAPA, Oreilly etc.

Stock chain and stock springs for a stock setup. Get Federal-Mogul, Sealed-Power, Clevite, Melling, etc at your local Advance, Autozone, NAPA, Oreilly etc.

Are the local parts store timing chains any good? Are they nylon like the stocker?

Are the local parts store timing chains any good? Are they nylon like the stocker?

No, they are steel. Also, Autozone sells an Edelbrock (made by Cloyes) roller with 3-keyway set, Oreillys sells Cloyes roller set w/ 3-keyway, Advance sells a roller set, NAPA sells their roller set, etc.

Ive been running a Edelbrock double roller since February of '08 and Comp 980 valvespring since April of '09 with no problems whatsoever.

Bone stock 121K long block, I'm assuming.

No, they are steel. Also, Autozone sells an Edelbrock (made by Cloyes) roller with 3-keyway set, Oreillys sells Cloyes roller set w/ 3-keyway, Advance sells a roller set, NAPA sells their roller set, etc.

and if/when you have a problem installing it, call up their office and see if they will help you

TA Performance

TA Performance has a nice billet gear stock style chain set with 9 keyway on crank gear to dial in your cam. It uses the tensioner. I bought a set from them. I don't like double rollers chain set, all of them have excessive chain slack even the Rollmasters.

TA Performance has a nice billet gear stock style chain set with 9 keyway on crank gear to dial in your cam. It uses the tensioner. I bought a set from them. I don't like double rollers chain set, all of them have excessive chain slack even the Rollmasters.

Glad to see someone appreciate this timing chain set from TA! :biggrin:

The problem with all the other brands mentioned, except Rollmaster, is that all have cast cam gears. The cheap $20-30 sets may run ok, but after a few thousand miles they are very loose from chain and gear wear.

Even the double rollers will loosen considerably after 4-5000 miles. :(

Mike at TA wanted me to try this set with a cast gear, but since I had broken 2 cast cam gears, I will never do that again even with a stock build. He then had a special run of billet cam gears made for this set.

The advantage over a double roller is the ability to use a chain tensioner which is of great benefit. When either accelerating or letting off the gas quickly, the tensioner will keep the chain from "whipping" with the drastic RPM change. This is what will break or rapidly wear the timing chain and gear.

Glad to see someone appreciate this timing chain set from TA! :biggrin:

The problem with all the other brands mentioned, except Rollmaster, is that all have cast cam gears. The cheap $20-30 sets may run ok, but after a few thousand miles they are very loose from chain and gear wear.

Even the double rollers will loosen considerably after 4-5000 miles. :(

Mike at TA wanted me to try this set with a cast gear, but since I had broken 2 cast cam gears, I will never do that again even with a stock build. He then had a special run of billet cam gears made for this set.

The advantage over a double roller is the ability to use a chain tensioner which is of great benefit. When either accelerating or letting off the gas quickly, the tensioner will keep the chain from "whipping" with the drastic RPM change. This is what will break or rapidly wear the timing chain and gear.

Are these billet gear sets available through you?

Back