Which Turbo for the Street??

S

speedy1320

Ok, I know what you're thinking....another Turbo question.....

Well, mine is easy.

I have a basically stock WE-4.... and It is strickly a street car

If I jump up to the ta-49 will I see better performance out of car?

Would any Turbo Larger than a 49 be effective on the street, or Over Kill?

Thanx!
Tom

87 WE-4.. ATR Exhuast, bigger injectors, ATR chip, 3" DP, K&N:D

I had a 49 on my GN, With a redstripe converter it drives like a stocker. I imagine with a stock converter it would be just as good.

I ran 11.67 with that turbo. And drove it to and from the track.

In my opinion the biggest turbo you would want to use without a stall would be the PT-51. I would suggest the TE-44, then the 49. Your gonna see some gain after 16-18 psi. The TE-44 is a great street turbo and prob the best choice! Never used one, but everyone will back me up im fairly sure!

Isn't the te44 and ta49 pretty much the same with the exception of the compressor housing.

I also need some help. My sig reads all my mods to date and I am gonna be freshening up the valve springs and timing chain soon. (a few other goodies also) After that, I was looking to upgrade to a bigger turbo. What would you guys recommend for a mid 11's car? (thats all I'm looking for although faster is always better) I would like to leave the D5 in there a bit longer until I get more funds but I might be able to upgrade both at the same time... The car is capable of mid/low 12's right now with some boost and race gas. I was leaning towards the TE-44 :D

the 44/49 perform basically the same...Either is probably ideal for the street with quick spool and mid 11s capable. It works with the stock converter or a slightly looser one.

As noted above, bigger turbos don't make a lot of difference as compare to stock ones until the boost is increased...the 44/49s probably begin to outperform the stock ones around 17-18# and come into their own around 22#.

Somewhere in the range of the 51, one may begin to benefit from a smaller, looser converter. I don't really see the point of a 51 and would rather step on up a bit with the addition of a better converter to go along with it.

Don't forget that even the 44/49s need more injector to supply enough fuel.

Originally posted by Steve Wood
the 44/49 perform basically the same...Either is probably ideal for the street with quick spool and mid 11s capable. It works with the stock converter or a slightly looser one.

As noted above, bigger turbos don't make a lot of difference as compare to stock ones until the boost is increased...the 44/49s probably begin to outperform the stock ones around 17-18# and come into their own around 22#.

Somewhere in the range of the 51, one may begin to benefit from a smaller, looser converter. I don't really see the point of a 51 and would rather step on up a bit with the addition of a better converter to go along with it.

Don't forget that even the 44/49s need more injector to supply enough fuel.

Ill second that Mr. Woods im running the 44 now and man:eek: that thing spools up with the blink of an eye:eek:

jojo

even my turbo eating car cant hurt a 49 turbo..

like mentioned the 49 and 44 are great turbo's if you want bigger next step is a 53... might as well save the headache down the road and skip 51 and 52 series..

87 WE-4.. ATR Exhuast, bigger injectors, ATR chip, 3" DP, K&N

well, depending on what mods you have right now- i wouldnt just jump into buying a upgraded turbo unless there is something wrong with your turbo now-
you WILL go faster buying the following- all day- everyday-
MY TOP TEN THINGS TO PURCHASE FOR A TURBO REGAL-

FIRST buy a better chip than what you currently have ~ 45.00
SECOND buy the racin jason power plate for stock upper plenum or what ever upper plenum you have 65.00 shipped

http://www.loveridgemachine.com/RJC_Buick_Products/rjc_buick_products.html

THIRD buy the SMC alky kit 350.00
FOURTH buy the SMC EGT probe 189.00
FIFTH buy the scanmaster 2.1 230.00 - 250.00
SIXTH buy a shift kit for your transmission- 65.00
SEVENTH walboro 340m fuel pump 100.00
8TH tires-- your gonna need them with these mods
9th fuel filter 10.00
10th fuel pump hot wire kit

now your car will definitely run MUCH faster everyday all day long
and it will do it safely-
im sure you will be able to run 22 psi of boost all the time, roast tires at will, and beat MOST cars on the streets--
if not, bolt up some slicks, add some race gas, and hole shot everyone on the streets
hth

turbo

TE-44 or equivalent spools alot faster on the street than the norm TA-49, even with a stock converter. A looser converter just makes it that more fun on the street..IMO.....

Just curious, why does the 44 outspool the TA 49? i thought they had the same size compressor and turbine wheels.

I know the 44 has a bit more power because of the intake, but never heard about it spooling faster.

Since it's sucking more air wouldn't it spool fractionally slower?

I have not seen a faster spool with a 49 compared to a 44 but I like the appearance of the TE series over the TAs like the 49.

Just my opinion on the 51 - I run a TA51 and unless you plan on doing a converter, I would stick with the 49 for the street.

While lag is a very subjective thing, I found that I wasn't happy with the lag of my 51 with the stock D5 for a car that's mainly a street car with an occasional stoplight drag.

Just went with a 9X11 - yet to be installed.....should help spool though.

HTH
Rich