which turbo is this?

1sickmx6

87 T Type Wo2
Ok just bought a t type and has a new turbo on it.

I first thought it was a TA49 but now I am not sure. I talked to a guy at the local car show today with a GN and he told me he replaced his turbo with another stock one but it looks the exact same as the one I have and has the same markings I think. I got the stock turbo in the trunk of the car he gave it to me with the car and the compressor housing on the one on the car does look bigger.

Any how it says this on the compressor casting. a/r .60 MT10 Anyone know what turbo it is or how to tell?

Thanks Brandon!

Ok just bought a t type and has a new turbo on it.

I first thought it was a TA49 but now I am not sure. I talked to a guy at the local car show today with a GN and he told me he replaced his turbo with another stock one but it looks the exact same as the one I have and has the same markings I think. I got the stock turbo in the trunk of the car he gave it to me with the car and the compressor housing on the one on the car does look bigger.

Any how it says this on the compressor casting. a/r .60 MT10 Anyone know what turbo it is or how to tell?

Thanks Brandon!

PICS would help.

alright I will send a pic on sunday. I pick the car up than. :smile:

I tried taking one before of the compressor housing but I moved the camera too much and it came out blurry.

Thanks Brandon!

Almost 9 out of 10 times, if the turbo has a bolt on inlet bell style compressor cover, and if that bolt on inlet bell is cast aluminum and dirty with a neck/port that directs off at a 90* angle, it's more than likely a stock turbo. This 90* angle neck/port that sticks off the inlet bell, will either have a hose with pipe assembly that directs down to the front of the passengers side valve cover, or it will have a rubber plug with a worm clamp, blocking this neck/port off.

Now, if the inlet bell looks like the pictures below and is made of CNC Billet aluminum with no 90* neck/port, then it's a solid chance it is either a TA-49 or larger TA series upgrade turbo.

DSC00460.jpg

DSC00456.jpg

Those are pictures of the TA-49 that I took off my current Turbo T when I bought her. FWIW, the numbers that you gave, should be the same for all TA series turbos that use the stock Garrett compressor cover.

DSC00453.jpg

On upgraded TA series turbos, most of the time, the builder will engrave the size of the turbo onto the discharge of the compressor cover with an engravers pen.
Hope this helps some.

Patrick

Here is a pic of my turbo maybe hard to see though I did take it when I purchased the car.

What are you talking about 90 deg? my bolt on neck is straight but cast aluminum?

2822026_1.jpg

Still trying to do more reseach too. I will have better photos up on sunday night soon as I get it in my driveway.

Thanks Brandon!

ok now that I got it home and did some research. Just a new stock turbo.

Thanks guys some of your imput helped me figure out what it was.

On upgraded TA series turbos, most of the time, the builder will engrave the size of the turbo onto the discharge of the compressor cover with an engravers pen. Dicharge where is this.Is that where it enters to intercooler right. I am questioning if mine is a 49 or not..I was told it was but have my doubts..

The compressor cover has an inlet and a discharge. You are correct, the discharge on a turbo is the exit neck where the air from the turbo, blows into the intercooler.
The 90* neck I was referring too, is only on the factory cast aluminum, 2 bolt inlet bell. 90% of the time, owners will block this neck off and install a small K&N breather in place of the factory setup on the passengers side front of the valve cover and just cap off this 90* neck on the stock inlet bell of the turbo.

HTH

Patrick