You can type here any text you want

Whining noise in rear

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dvernst

I took off from a stop light today and got on it kind of hard. All of the sudden there was a loud whine from the rear of the car that seems to get louder with speed while accelerating lightly. If i'm going about 40 and put it in neutral the sound goes away, but while in neutral if I rev it up a little it makes the noise. Any ideas what this could be? At about 60 the noise is really loud. Thanks

O.k. just pulled the diff cover. Everything looks normal There is some real fine metal shavings in the oil, you can't feel them but you can see them. I'm assuming this is normal wear n tear. Is it possible a bearing could be going out in the rear end?

Welcome to the world of TTA's...they all whine. I have a buddy with a real low mile car that has already went through a pinion bearing....even the new bearing is starting to whine. If you beat on this rear the least bit they will eventually whine.

Noise

Hi,
The noise is rpm related?Regardless of whether it is drive or neutral?Are you sure it is coming from the rear of the car? Could you be hearing trans noise? High frequency sounds can seem to come from anywhere, as my old ears hear them anyway.
The 7004r in my 86 firebird was SCREAMING after a little bash I had not long ago. I thought it was the end of life for the poor old thing,but on instinct, I did a trans service. The filter looked fine, as far as I could see, and fluid was not too bad, at least it wasn't burnt, anyway.However, after the service, the noise went away. 200R4 trans is not that different, so a service might surprise you.
If the noise is really in the rear of the car, I would look at the exhaust.Wierd noises are possible with leaky mufflers and such.I hope some of this helps. Good luck with your troubles!

No the noise is not RPM related and I changed the trans fluid last week. The noise changes with the speed of the car while I am accelerating, But if when i'm rolling if I put the car in neutral and rev it a little I can hear the noise a little bit. I don't seem to hear it when I down shift and let it slow down. It's possible it could be the pinion bearing is it hard to change it? The noise does sound like it is from the right rear though but who knows like you said it could be from anywhere. Thanks

I'm pretty certain the noise I hear is from the rear...my tranny is esentially new. Like I said before, the TTA's are known to have a whine in the rear which sounds just like he is describing it...who knows though, with a 17 year old unit body car who knows where all the noise is really coming from???

I just talked to Jimmy from Jimmy's Transmissions, and he seems to thing it is something with the pump in the trans. His two reasons are 1 when I put the car in neutral I can still get it to make a little noise and 2 I told him that I have a little tick or rattle that I can not pinpoint and it sounds like it is under the car somewhere. He said if it is just the pump it is no big deal so i'll keep my fingers crossed. If it ends up being something in the rear end hopefully it's something I can fix myself. He's going to look at it at the beginning of next week so i'' keep you posted Thanks guys

O.k. I just got car back from jimmy's transmissions :biggrin: New converter, and third gear clutches fixed, but I still have the same noise. If it was just a little whine it wouldn't bother me that much, but between like 40-50 it is really loud. I guess i'm gonna try to get the bearings for the rear end and see if I can't fix it my self :frown:

whine

that sounds like how my car was and it just got louder and louder till i replaced the ring and pinion.i now am on my third one due to braking them at the track.

When you looked at the gears was there any noticeable damage? I had the cover off my diff, and everything looked perfect. How come your on your third one now? Is your car really fast, or are the replacement parts not that good? Thanks

i could not see any major signs of wear.my car is not the fastest around,my best was a 11.68 the reason i am on my third set is the first set when i bought the car had rusted on one side
from sitting,after driven awhile it started making a whining noise,so i replaced them.the second set i bought used and i just broke last summer.so here i am on the third set wich i found on ebay.im hopping they will last because parts are getting harder to find for this rear end.if it brakes again i am going to put a stronger rear in it. by the way i also broke a posi in it once.

Back