White Grand National

Would you have ordered a white GN if it were offered?

• YES

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 22 50.0%

• Total voters

TurboJunky

Fire the Federal Gov't
I was part of a thread a while back where I said I'd check into whether or not GM made a factory white GN. I checked with Mark L. Reuss who is GM's current CEO of their performance and research division. His father was instrumental in the development of the Grand National project.

Here's his answer:

Dean-
To my knowledge, only one white one was done, and it was the proof of concept for the gnx program. He was an ASC employee, and it was nicknamed x-ray!
See ya--Mark

As I remember the article: He was an ASC employee, but the project was done on his own without any factory backing. At least that's what he eluded to in the story. He even made up badges that said "X-Ray" instead of "GNX" ....I think. :) Also, even the air dams were painted white! It was a real beauty!

Can't remember which magazine I saw it in. Maybe it was the GMHP??? I know someone will know.

I've got a picture of X-RAY and Mollys red pro-type GN. If anyone wants pics e-mail me.:)

Originally posted by equalizer442
any one know what happined to x ray or the red gns?

Yeah, it's usually at the BUICK Nats in BG KY every year the X-RAY. I think his last name is Hunt.

The red GN was destroyed by Buick in the 80's. :(

Yep...his name is Rick Hunt. He worked at ASC for many years and put together his own GNX from genuine parts he got from ASC. Then he painted it white so he couldn't be accused of cloning a GNX. He no longer works for ASC.

Rick trailered it to BG last year but didn't bring it in 2001. In 2001 Rick came down with his friend Al Gilhuly....and Al owns a GNX. Al and Rick both made passes with that GNX, and Al even allowed me to make one pass. My dream pass...lol.

Dunno if Rick will be there this year but Al will be with his GNX.

I've actually got the model of X-ray and it looks really good, and I bought a white GN. It looks really good in white though.

Yea, I've actually spoken to the guy every yr at the nats...I could never remember his name though, For some reason I thought it was Mark??? It's one of them kinda things..were you both know each other and talk every yr, but in reality neither one knows the others name...hehe Pretty cool car though.

Joe

Originally posted by ChrisCairns

Yep...his name is Rick Hunt. He worked at ASC for many years and put together his own GNX from genuine parts he got from ASC. Then he painted it white so he couldn't be accused of cloning a GNX. He no longer works for ASC.

Dunno if Rick will be there this year but Al will be with his GNX.