Who gives the best head?

V6DVette

aka Smitty
He he.. I knew that would get some attention.... But I would like to know ...IYO...Is it Champion? I mean irons, not alum. Something thats affordable to the masses.


I'm never gonna finish this car!:(
 
click the link in the sig, talk to nick he has done some great flowing heads.



do a search and look for the flow numbers he has posted. they compare very well to champion irons


Dathan
 
Brick,


Don't be misled! Champion irons are decent pieces but the CNC out of the box heads are in the 205-207 CFM on the intake and 170-175 CFM on the exhaust from what I remember. They had to take into account core shift and the occasional bone-head that does a boo-boo not to go to excessive with the work done so they aren't getting them back every week. For this reason someone doing them by hand can get close to 10% more out of a set of irons. Roy may be using out of the box heads but he could still improve the numbers if he hasn't worked them to get more. I didn't flow mine the second time but my guess is they are 220/190. Nice little increase!
 
Originally posted by Intercooler
Brick,


Don't be misled! Champion irons are decent pieces but the CNC out of the box heads are in the 205-207 CFM on the intake and 170-175 CFM on the exhaust from what I remember. They had to take into account core shift and the occasional bone-head that does a boo-boo not to go to excessive with the work done so they aren't getting them back every week. For this reason someone doing them by hand can get close to 10% more out of a set of irons. Roy may be using out of the box heads but he could still improve the numbers if he hasn't worked them to get more. I didn't flow mine the second time but my guess is they are 220/190. Nice little increase!

Hmmm I see what you're saying..... I guess when you take that into consideration you might be better off having somebody like Nick or FrankG do them by hand depending on how much they charge.......
 
not to hijack the thread (it is about heads)

does anyone have an idea of how much it will cost to get a set of bone stock heads freshened up...ported and polished?:confused:
 
So is it worth getting the bigger valves?:confused: For a car that wont be a daily driver is the extra $$$ worth it?
JYO...of course.:)


I'm never gonna finish this car!:(
 
intercooler you know flow benches vary . I have a pair of champion irons that have huge ports with max poting and the don't flow any better than Roy's out of the box. I have flowbenched them on a superflow 1080 digital bench.I think if you need more than what champion sells you might be better off with a set of aluminum gn-1 . I have had good results on all the cars i have worked on .T he best flow numbers i have seen is about 200 cfm on the intake and 177 on the exhuast. I know of a few sets of heads with1.84 intake valves with custom offset rockers that flow 237-240 on the intake but they aint cheap about 2500 dollars.
 
hi,
i have a set that were just done by VPE RACING.they flow an "HONEST" 227 at 28" on the intake and 195 on the exhaust.
tony from VPE did them with new manley valves and titanium retainers etc etc. and ported the intake for $900.these heads are just as good ,if not better than "anything" else out there.and the price is excellent.all of the BANSHEE RACING buicks will have these by spring.we expect excellent results.




Nick,
 
Originally posted by BigChinooks
ROFLMAO YA RIGHT!
Yea right this! :

http://home.att.net/~jesse.adkins/Flow.JPG


One thing I don't do is BS!



More work went into them after this flow test but I didn't pay to have them tested again. One of these days I will just so I know EXACTLY!
The guy doing the testing does Reher M. stuff too and made marks/notes along the way of what areas and what to do to get them to flow better. Proof is in the pudding.... where's yours?
:D
 
posted by turbotwister
i have a set that were just done by VPE RACING.they flow an "HONEST" 227 at 28" on the intake and 195 on the exhaust.
Tell Tony I'll be picking those up in the next few days. ;)
I'll be in AC for a meeting tomorrow...maybe we can hook up this weekend.
Sean.
 
Originally posted by Intercooler
Yea right this! :

http://home.att.net/~jesse.adkins/Flow.JPG


One thing I don't do is BS!



Proof is in the pudding.... where's yours?
:D
Those numbers are not 220/190 your "guess".
My flow bench is at the RACE TRACK!!!!
High Flow numbers do not automaticlly mean you will make more power,in some cases heads that flow less make more hp!
Personally flow numbers are just a guideline,shape and valve job is what counts for me,but what do i know.:rolleyes:
 
Originally posted by ILBCNU6
All out race cars go with the new TA Perf. Alum. heads as these outflow anything on the market today.

What propoganda have you been reading? How fast have the TA heads gone? I know how much my GN1's flow. Of course I didn't even know the TA heads were "on the market", perhaps those of you that have a set could chime in with flow numbers.

Comparing flow numbers is like comparing dyno numbers. Put the same head on two diferent benches with two diferent operators and I doubt you will get the same numbers.
 
Originally posted by BigChinooks
Those numbers are not 220/190 your "guess".
My flow bench is at the RACE TRACK!!!!
High Flow numbers do not automaticlly mean you will make more power,in some cases heads that flow less make more hp!
Personally flow numbers are just a guideline,shape and valve job is what counts for me,but what do i know.:rolleyes:
Just how fast is that Race Track beast? It gives you some guidelines on how to match up your combo. If all you have is Race Track testing without knowing how to get the most out of each piece or get them to match then you are just pissing in the wind. Hopefully you don't figure out your fueling system the same way! Could get expensive!
 
Jessie, i am not hear to argue with you,for your info i just put dfi on my car and first time to the track i ran 129.08 and 130+.
This was done with a factory original never rebuilt shortblock,minis the cam of course.
I feel with more tuning i should have 1-3 more mph in there!
FWIW,was done with a non lock up converter which i currently have for sale.
 
Originally posted by Snorman
Tell Tony I'll be picking those up in the next few days. ;)
I'll be in AC for a meeting tomorrow...maybe we can hook up this weekend.
Sean. [/B]

Sean your car is going to be a wolf in sheep's cloths. :cool:
 
Originally posted by BigChinooks
Jessie, i am not hear to argue with you,for your info i just put dfi on my car and first time to the track i ran 129.08 and 130+.
This was done with a factory original never rebuilt shortblock,minis the cam of course.
I feel with more tuning i should have 1-3 more mph in there!
FWIW,was done with a non lock up converter which i currently have for sale.

Just curious, what was the ET?
 
Back
Top