You can type here any text you want

Who has upgraded there steering box?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnon18s

Anybody upgraded there steering box? What ratio is the stock steering box? What box or ratio did you put in?

Isn't someone on this board selling a kit made from Jeep parts that is supposed to improve the steering?

I specifically asked what is the ratio of the stock box! Your smart coment didn't help anybody.

It was a "smart" comment because the GN has the quickest ratio steering box available without going to an exotic steering "box" like a rack and pinion. :)

As far as I have checked, no one makes, modifies or builds a better steering box for a GN.

Isn't someone on this board selling a kit made from Jeep parts that is supposed to improve the steering?

The Jeep Cherokee part is a steering shaft that uses 2 u-joints instead of a "rag" joint which removes play between the steering shaft and the box.

The shafts from Cherokees between 1986 and 1996 are an easy install on a GN with only minor mods, and does tighten up the steering. :)

They're cheap too. As far as the box, the GN box is the one other G body owners want ond often swap but I don't know what the ratio is. If you find a better one let us know so we can all be smart.

Do a search for rack and pionon conversion and youll fimd some one talking about a 12.7:1 steering box. Does amyone use the search button or does nobody know where it is?

They're cheap too. As far as the box, the GN box is the one other G body owners want ond often swap but I don't know what the ratio is. If you find a better one let us know so we can all be smart.

it's also the same box as the Monte SS and Olds 442/Hurst Olds. i think the IROC Camaro box might be a little quicker, but the travel range is wrong for a G body.

Detroit Speed, Inc. - Products - 600 Steering Gear
I would think Scot with GNS could give some insight on this product.
Correct, This steering box is what will be on my car come spring..It is a major up-grade from the stock box and offers a few features over the stock box like:

* 12.7:1 steering ratio
* 6 Lbs lighter than stock
* The ceramic coated option provides cooler power steering fluid temperatures inside the gear box. It also includes a low friction coating inside the gear box housing that allows a super smooth steering feel... DSE is also coming out with their own version of a replacement rag joint, very similar to what is on their own test cars.

We also sell DSE's Power steering pumps to compliment the new gear box and also compatible with any other steering gear box or rack/pinion!

All DSE power steering pumps are completely brand new (not remanufactured). DSE pumps deliver constant flow under given operating pressures.
The transverse bearing pumps (TC Pumps) are less sensitive to radial belt loading than other types of pumps.

The DSE pump specifications:

* Flow= 3.0 - 3.4 gallons per minute at 1500rpm
* Pressure relief= 1250 - 1450 psi
* TC pumps offer high efficiency and quiet opperation
* Feature a 0.662" shaft diameter

Scot W.

The Jeep Cherokee part is a steering shaft that uses 2 u-joints instead of a "rag" joint which removes play between the steering shaft and the box.

The shafts from Cherokees between 1986 and 1996 are an easy install on a GN with only minor mods, and does tighten up the steering. :)

Is the shaft available from the auto parts stores? Price? Does installation take any kind of special tools?

I got mine from an eBay vendor for $15 plus shipping a few months back, but I would guess you could get one new from the dealer. The connection nearest the cowl on the Jeep shaft uses a pinch bolt that requires a slight groove on one of the flats on the steering wheel shaft. A die grinder or Dremel tool works fine, maybe 1/8 to 3/16's or so. Mine was rusty as recieved, hit with a wire wheel and some John Deere Blitz Black paint and it looks good as new. Got it from here: Jeep Wrangler Intermediate Steering Shaft 87-95: eBay Motors (item 330494372651 end time Nov-15-10 18:47:01 PST)

I have a Lee Manufacturing 670 blueprinted box on order.
12.7:1 ratio (I think stock is 14??) Custom made for your set-up (stock or custom pump and hoses)

What does the ratio mean? For instance: 1 turn of the steering wheel to 12.71 inches of travel, or what?

Thanks
Nix

Here are some thoughts based on my background on GTOs.....the GTOs as well as all the muscle a body cars back in the day had what is commonily referred to as lite steering like no road feel and took 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 turns lock to lock the wheel. GTO owners called this forever steering....plus the steering wheel diameter was like 15 inches across..

The hot set up in the late 1980s was to drop a GN steering box into the A body cars..this required a special crush sleeve to owners could use their original hose connectors...I would buy them from Lee manufacturing which was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Ratio numbers that get thrown around can be confusing for most people myself included. My mechanical skills are quite limited.

The whole key that makes better sense at least to me is how many turns lock to lock? Also does it have road feel rather than very light steering.

I think the Buicks lock in under 3 turns....which you can see makes a huge difference. I think some of the F bodies maybe the ones with the WS suspensions do it even slightly quicker like around 2 1/2 turns.

As for the rag joint issue and switching something out may be easier to just replace the rag joint with a new one....

As it has been pointed out companies do make quick boxes today....boxes in our cars are the same as the monte ss and 442s the code on the good box is YA....I used to sell them to GTO owners back in the day.

Course now some of the cars have I believe electric steering....which appears to be the next upgrade on the horizon.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Jeeps have a lot of GM parts in them....

Back