Who is going to race TSA at the 2012 Nats?

Kip

Not much going on in this section lately, so who is in for 2012 at BG?

Thanks, Kip

Here we are, 30 days away and quiet as a mouse. I was hoping to run Tsa again, still trying to knock Clay out of first like I said I would 3 years ago. But just can't do it. My hats off to ya Clay.

Thanks
Bill

Bring the race out West and I'm in ! Its just to expensive to make the trip again. Good luck to everyone!

Steve

Richard Clark asked me to inform TSA racers at Bowling Green during the 17 to 20 Oct event that the rules for his TSA race are the same as last year with the exception of the new ride height criteria for 86/87 GN's, GNX's, and Turbo Regals. The new ride height measurements are taken at the front and rear wheel wells, from the pavement through the CENTERLINE of the front and rear wheels to the BOTTOM of the wheel well MOLDING. The measurement of the front wheel riding height is 27.2 inches, +or - 1/2 inch, and the rear wheel riding height is 26.8 inches, + or - 1/2 inch. This measurement is taken at CURB WEIGHT, with a FULL TANK OF GAS, and NO PASSENGER, or LUGGAGE. In addition, another measurement will be taken from the pavement to the bottom of the frame at the four frame jacking points. This dimension is no lower than 7 and 3/4 inches and no higher than 8 and 3/4 inches. Payouts and number of places to be awarded is yet to be determined and I will post that info as soon as I get it from Richard.

The Colonel

Richard Clark asked me to inform TSA racers at Bowling Green during the 17 to 20 Oct event that the rules for his TSA race are the same as last year with the exception of the new ride height criteria for 86/87 GN's, GNX's, and Turbo Regals. The new ride height measurements are taken at the front and rear wheel wells, from the pavement through the CENTERLINE of the front and rear wheels to the BOTTOM of the wheel well MOLDING. The measurement of the front wheel riding height is 27.2 inches, +or - 1/2 inch, and the rear wheel riding height is 26.8 inches, + or - 1/2 inch. This measurement is taken at CURB WEIGHT, with a FULL TANK OF GAS, and NO PASSENGER, or LUGGAGE. In addition, another measurement will be taken from the pavement to the bottom of the frame at the four frame jacking points. This dimension is no lower than 7 and 3/4 inches and no higher than 8 and 3/4 inches. Payouts and number of places to be awarded is yet to be determined and I will post that info as soon as I get it from Richard.

The Colonel

So there are now 2 ride height criteria?? Seriously?? So a car with worn out body mounts might have the body closer to the frame throwing off one of the measurements, or the same could happen with a car where the mounts have been replaced making the body higher on the frame.

And the frame measurement isn't staggered front to rear further tightening the room to adjust and get things right.

On top of all this there is the known fact that 86's sit approx. an inch lower to being with.

And at this point just a couple weeks to go someone could have thought they were ready to go and may now be in big trouble.

Is an inch or 2 seriously this big a deal, it's not going to be a large performance advantage it only serves to keep potential racers from showing up or even considering racing this class. Richard stated previously he would like to see low mileage cars race the class, if I had a low mileage car there is NO WAY I would mess with the ride height just to race this class and no amount of money would change that.

Collin Hundley: Since I have been teching for Richard the past three years at Bowling Green, I can tell you that Richard has always had two criteria for checking ride height of turbo Regals. All cars (5 vehicles) last year (Oct 2011, at Bowling Green) passed height check criteria, and we told all concerned about it before we did it. Richard had brought the new height gauges with him and I tried them out just to see how they would work with no intended penalty should any car 'fail' the new checking method that Richard wanted. I also used gauges provided by Richard to check frame height as well. So this is nothing new. Thumper, in a post to this site on Dec 8 2011, (check it out) measured his vehicle again just to be sure he was within the criteria. His front was OK, but the rear was higher than allowed, but he measured it with an empty fuel tank, whereas the rule specifies a full fuel tank at curb weight with no luggage or passengers. His rear measurement was 27.5 inches. The rule says 26.8 inches plus or minus 1/2 inch. Adding 1/2 inch (.5) moves the rule to 27.3 inches in his case. But, he measured with an empty fuel tank. My original Buick owners manual says the turbo Regal fuel tank holds 18 gallons. The specific gravity of gasoline is about 6.25 pounds per gallon, higher when cold (more weight), and lower when hot (less weight). At 6.25 pounds per gallon, 18 gallons will weigh about 112.5 pounds. Putting a 112.5 pound weight in Thumpers trunk where the filler neck is will lower Thumpers car enough to 'pick up' the remaining .2 inches in his case. So he will have no trouble meeting the rule. (Incidentally, that is a GM spec).

I purchased my GN new. It was built sometime in Oct of 1987. Buick shut down production in Dec of 1987. My VIN # confirms this. I have 135K on the speedo and no one has worked on any suspension component of my GN. I do not race in TSA nor do I have any connection with any one who does race. I measured my GN again and it meets Richard's specs in this regard. A second, third, or fourth owner of a turbo Regal, has no idea what a previous owner may have done to his Regal. Did someone take a torch to his coil springs to lower it a 'little' because it would look 'cool'? You don't know. Richard is kind enough to provide these specs so that the average Regal owner can bring his car up to TSA (Turbo Stock Appearing) criteria. If a vehicle is not up to TSA specs and if you want to race in TSA, then you have to do what is necessary to bring it there. This is all elementary, but Richard makes great payouts if you follow TSA Rules. If someone fowled up someones coil springs, then they will have to spend money to fix it properly. I just spent over $300 to repaint my rear bumper fillers and spoiler assembly, because paint fades on fiberglass and ABS and urethane components over time no matter how much wax you put on it, and I do not race nor engage in Concours events.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings. Feel free to address any issue you have with Richard's TSA standards, and I will get you a follow up as soon as possible. Last of all, Richard runs several companies and has a punishing business schedule. He is not always available when we would like. We are lucky to have his backing for our 'toys'. The rules for TSA have been posted for several years.

The Colonel

I don't want to speak for other people so I'll stop after this post.

Anything I have said about the rules in this class is my own opinion about things that would help participation...I do think it's a neat class and would love to see it grow.

TSA is also my favorite race class followed by THS. Thanks to Richard for creating this class and fantastic payouts. So, I understand what rules he wants and sets is fine. I just don't understand why factory / original wheels are not required for this class? Requiring the ride height to specific tolerance but allowing any wheel?

I'd also like to see this class grow. I'm out because I run vacuum brakes. After two complete powermaster failures I won't be installing that system back on my car. Looking forward to the racing new week.

Craig

Craig: Richard Clark, as you know, sets the rules for TSA. Over the years, he has made changes to TSA rules. He pays for everything in TSA.
Among other things, he allows an upgraded radio, but in the stock location; a 2 1/8 inch boost gauge on the pillar, steering column or console; any chip in the ECM if it communicates with a scan tool: stock looking shocks of any color: using an aluminum bumper reinforcement other than the steel one even if the trunk label (SPI) does not reflect the aluminum item; 15 or 16 inch wheels, etc. Richard has given TSA Regal owners a little leeway where they can have their cake and eat it too in a certain sense. Many PowerMaster failures are caused by dirty contaminated brake fluid. I pump out my brake fluid twice a year. In 25 years, I have had two incidents in my PowerMaster system. One I caused myself by overfilling the system. That's pretty good. Richard is always helping guys with their Regals. His rules can be tough, but they are fair. They are posted for all to see elsewhere on this site.

The Colonel