Who Ports stock 87 exhaust elbow?

BLACKHAWK38

NEWBE to GN, but not to turbo buicks,
When TURBO regal guys SPEAK of a ported elbow, do they mean MATERIAL (cast iron ) removed from the inside wall for more cubic inch volume and faster exhaust EXIT OR does it mean Clearanaced for a bigger TURBINE wheel? OR BOTH ?

JUST LEARNING<> Blackhawk 38

TurboMike used to do it.

I think last week he had one for sale in the parts for sale section I'd check there first, top quality honest work.

I have one of his older ones he ported AND put in a larger puck for ported turbos.

Not for sale however.

Ported means larger volume not clearanced for wheels since the elbow doesn't have the wheels in it, it's the exhaust housing of the turbo section that does.

Elbow just mates to the downpipe from the turbo, elbow is built into the good 3" and larger aftermarket downpipes.

Hope that's sorta clear and even correct. ;)

Stock cast iron 86-87 down pipe Elbow

Originally posted by salvageV6
TurboMike used to do it.

I think last week he had one for sale in the parts for sale section I'd check there first, top quality honest work.

I have one of his older ones he ported AND put in a larger puck for ported turbos.

Not for sale however.

Ported means larger volume not clearanced for wheels since the elbow doesn't have the wheels in it, it's the exhaust housing of the turbo section that does.

Elbow just mates to the downpipe from the turbo, elbow is built into the good 3" and larger aftermarket downpipes.

Hope that's sorta clear and even correct. ;)

Thanks for your information SALVAGE V6,

I was wondering HOW much materical can be removed from the inside chamber of the cast iron elbow, before the structural integrity is compromised?:)

I have a dremel tool and a little bit of patience, If I can find a spare elbow to play with, I bet I could mess one up in no time
:)

What size is the stock wastegate puck, NOW THAT is a JOB left to the pro's to change that over to a larger puck
What is stock wastegate HOLE .82 inch ?
I have read that they enlarge it to .91 inch with stock size puck to cut back on boost creep over 20 psi.

Thanks again, Blackhawk 38:)

I've got one that I ported. Extremely smooth and ported out to the max. $35 shipped.
Let me know, James

There is a "lip" you can feel where the down pipe bolts to the elbow. Take that out with a dremel and smooth as much as you can of the rest. IMO that will put you in pretty good shape. Get a couple of dremel bits and go crazy.

Joel

Ported out cast 86-87 ELBOW

Originally posted by Dr. Jeckel
I've got one that I ported. Extremely smooth and ported out to the max. $35 shipped.
Let me know, James
:)

DR JECKEL, what turbo did you have this elbow hooked up to before you went to THDP ?

35 shipped sounds like a fair deal.

Regards < BLackHawk 38

If you do it yourself, use an air grinder. :)

I did my first one with a dremel. It took a LONG time to do. I even burned the motor out, but it was still under warranty. :)

I had it on the TA60. It is fully ported where it connects to the down pipe and also had quite abit of material out of the elbow with everything smoothed as soft as silk. I spent a long time on it...probably 2 1/2+ hours. I did it with a dremel, tried all different kinds of bits and sanding wheels and polishing wheels.
I take paypal to jhyde99@cox.net
Let me know.
Thanks, James.