You can type here any text you want

Who should burn my chip?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
I just got my 50# injectors today and need some opinions on who has had good luck with who with similer mods as mine.

Thanks
Bo

Jay Carter and Joe Lubrant are known to have great MSD-50 chips...

Many GN vendors carry thier chips.

I think Ramchargers sells Joe's chips. Not sure if Precision Turbo sells them. Joe left there last I heard..

The Trasher chip for MSD-50's was never officially developed, but some people on the TTA list and GNTTYPE list have been working their own versions.

I know people love Thrashers, but IMHO I'm not sure what they would offer for performance at the MSD-50 level that Jay or Joe's chips do not do.

Unless you want the anti-theft and stutter type stuff?

You can always ask Jay to custom-make you a chip.

If you want to get more adventurous (and expensive), look at the new max-effort stuff for MSD-50's....

The anti-theft puts a little ease to my mind however, I do have a sweet alarm system (Shock and proxsemity sensor's). Now as far as joe lubrant chip, you really cant talk to him for advise so you would kinda be stuck with your purchase of his chip right?

I have heard nothing but good about JL chips but, if I cant talk to him one on one then I might just have to go to Jay Carter because I have heard good things with JC also.

You could post up on the regular TBuick (non-TTA) side and get Joe L's email. I'll bet he still does stuff directly for people if they ask...

Joe's too smart a guy to just walk away from this hobby....

Chips

I believe Ramchargers sell Bruce's chips.

Precision sells JL designed chips, and I'm sure they have one for you. Joe's kid had a TTA back when they came out. Joe no longer works there, but is still involved with thier chips. I had a JL chip for my 009's before I went translator+extender.

Contact Julio at idoxlr8_70@yahoo.com. I hate to volunteer his services without talking to him, but he too good not to mention. He has 50's, and I know he's burnt a thrasher for them. You need to get down here so he can burn a custom one while looking at you car's data!

What happened with the head gasket?

Ken

I have a Thrasher that I've been using since about February. I like it. Just like a Thrasher for stock injectors. Julio has copied my chip and started playing with it.

The only problem I see with the Thrasher is it doesn't command enough fuel for a lot of boost. Mine wouldn't go past 17psi before knock would start to set in. I run an SMC alky kit and am able to run 22-23psi and it leans out nicely in 3rd gear~750mv with no knock.

And I like the anti-theft :)

Well, I think I just freaked out because of the move and all.
no sign of BHG at all now. I am leaving out west in about 6 hrs so I need to get my beauty sleep:D But I will see ya guys down there after my vacation. I just want to get this thing running right before I drive 1300+ miles. I have a trouble code 45 (too rich) after my 50# inj. install But, I have pit-bull chip cause thrasher 92 cuts out.That could be the problem I dunno I need a 50# chip to see i guess.

Anyway, I might just order a JL or JC 50# chip and then get a custom one burnt later .

Bo

Jim Testa makes some great chips,I have one in mine for 55's and it's running great - just got a new best tonight 11.64@116 with it(pumpgas 19* chip,94 octane,20/21#'s of boost,no alchy)

Steve

Look us up when you move down here..and running a chip that has an injector constant different than the injectors you have will cuase problems..So if you try running a stock chip with 50's..it will blow black smoke like theres no tommorrow.

And every car responds differently to the same chip cuase every car is different..The Thrasher92 for 50's responded well in my car..And Robs car has a cam so that may be an issue..Some chips work well in some cars and not so well in others..And the driveability is the key to happiness..WOT enrichment is a piece O'cake..

Thats why generic chips give generic results...There's a lot of talent out there when it comes to tuning...trick is to find someone willing to look at data..make an adjustment or two..and after a couple of times..get the tune squared away..till the next mod :)

Re: Chips

Originally posted by Pace 1989
I believe Ramchargers sell Bruce's chips.

Ramchargers sells Bob Bailey's Chips. The Normal ones, and then the Extenders to be used with the Translators.

I don't sell chips.
Never have, never will.
I have done a few chips for others, as a way to make sure what I've seen as true is in fact that way, but that's all.

Originally posted by Razor

Thats why generic chips give generic results...There's a lot of talent out there when it comes to tuning...trick is to find someone willing to look at data..make an adjustment or two..and after a couple of times..get the tune squared away..till the next mod :)

One of the troubles, is that guys can't really make any money doing chips. So genetic is as good as it gets anymore. I don't mean to sound negative about this, but I'm now into having probably burnt a thousand chips for my car and ecm bench, and still am learning new stuff all the time. With that behind me, it still takes a dozen chips, MIN, to get a chip ready for one car to go to the strip with.
Then there is the old Trasher Problem. Someone does get a chip right, and then so many folks want to make knock offs and sell em under the table. That's a real shame that piracy screwed things up so bad.
It's in a way amazing that Bob B, and Steve Y go to the lenghts they do.
That's not to belittle the other chip guys, most seem to know there tuning, but code patchs are a HUGE INVESTMENT in time and effort.
Well, I see my soap box is being recalled for an update for the air bags, so I better get down, so the guys can do the recall work.

Thrasher had bad business sense..Had they made a chip for 009's or 50's..there would be no reason for the knock off's as you say :)

I would never clone a chip thats available in the aftermarket..never..And any chip I've ever sold has been an original from that vendor.

I wont get into the swapping of files and tables that goes around between chip sellers..if you look at bins..you know what I mean.

So how do you address the problem of people like myself who particularly like the Thrasher and cant get a 50 lb chip from them..

Or one for 55's,70's 83's etc...

And Bruce no-one on this board has burned as many chips as you..

While I agree that hacking into someone else's code is wrong, especially if you are selling them to make money. But if the company you bought a chip from has nothing to do with them anymore and doesn't even care about them. What are you to do?

It is really too bad that they don't get back into the game. Just think what they could've done in the last couple of years if they were still developing chips. Would have been interesting...

A kudos to Steve and Bob for what they have accomplished. That will be the next setup for me when the Thrasher has finally been outgrown in my car.

Originally posted by Razor

So how do you address the problem of people like myself who particularly like the Thrasher and cant get a 50 lb chip from them..
Or one for 55's,70's 83's etc...

If you read thru the Excel Spreadsheet there are a million answers there.

You can do lots of things, that supposedly take patchs to do.
You gotta sit there and mull things over.
Launch assist,
Lean Cruise
Can all be done with the oem stuff but you gotta study things ALOT to do them.

The stock ecm is really amazing.
Really really really.
The original designers really did a Great ECM, and code.
Just gotta get in there heads and try to understnad what they're doing.

Hint, hint, look at the FWD calibrations to see how and what they changed, and how that applies to hotrodding a GN...

Originally posted by TTA 1387
While I agree that hacking into someone else's code is wrong, especially if you are selling them to make money. But if the company you bought a chip from has nothing to do with them anymore and doesn't even care about them. What are you to do?

And who's chips are you talking about?.

Joe L., was an employee of PT+E, while I'm not sure about any legal agreements PT+E are still selling chips as far as I know, so they might not really be Joe's chips, but again point is they do belong to someone.

As far as Trashers, the rights to them were sold to several vendors, so they aren't by any means abandoned.

If you're not happy with what's on the market, the only option is doing your own. Then you can appreciate how much goes into developing a chip, and experiment with stuff no one else does.

Originally posted by bruce
And who's chips are you talking about?.
Thrasher

As far as Trashers, the rights to them were sold to several vendors, so they aren't by any means abandoned.

If you're not happy with what's on the market, the only option is doing your own. Then you can appreciate how much goes into developing a chip, and experiment with stuff no one else does.
I know there are 3 vendors for Thrashers and Scott offers a couple chips that weren't available before. But I wanted a Thrasher 50 and nobody was selling them. Is it wrong to change some code(injector constant) if nobody sells what you want? But like I said, once I outgrow the Thrasher it'll be a Trans+ and extender. Seems that is a pretty trick setup.

Back