Whooped an LT1 or LS1?

1badTTA

Resident Smart A$$
On my way to work yesterday, a newer Trans Am came up behind me in traffic. I figured he would probably play since he had changed lanes a few times to get behind me. I wasn't sure of the year and it looked to me to be a '98 or newer LS1, it had the cutouts in the front fascia but not the ram air hood (please let me know what it was) and said Trans Am on the rear.
Well after about 2 miles we manage to get to the front at a red light, and I am sweating it since I am only running 91 octane and 12 pounds of boost. I get 4psi before the light changes and when it turns green I launch and HOOK without spinning at all, and I hear him spin a little over the white stripes. I know for sure it is on now and reach down and pull it into first so it won't shift early like it always does. By the time I shift into second, I look over and I have pulled an easy 2 car lengths on him, which is good since my lane ends in about another 300 feet. I keep into it to about 75mph and slowly pulled another length. I let out and slowed down and he got into the other lane and the next light turns red, I think Great, he must not have been ready or lifted to let me merge or something. The light goes through its cycle and I build boost again and when the light changes (actually after since there was a semi going through on the yellow) we run again, this time he left first, but I still managed to pull almost 2 cars on him out of the hole and slowly pulled another 2 by 89mph when I let off. After another mile or so we ended up at another light and I had my window down but he wouldnt roll his down (wanted to ask which engine he had and what year it was) so when the light changes he launches and I just pull away normal, he got the picture and ended up turning at the next intersection.

so let me know which it was.

Good Kill

The only cut-outs up front are just below the blinker/parking light assembly, and they are only on LS1 birds. Did you get a look at the side of the car? If it had vents with black screens in them on the front fenders just before the doors than it was an LS1. Were the tail lights a honeycomb pattern (LS1), or just crossing lines (LT1)? Were the back up lights round pieces that seemed separate from the tail lights (LS1), or just square lenses patterned in with the tail lights (LT1)?

Either way, good kill!

Great kill! If it's a 98, I'm pretty sure it was an LS1. Something like 315 HP or so stock. Still, LS1 or LT1 he knows he's NOT #1.

Nice kill

Both the LS1 and LT1 fbods run pretty strong stock and with a couple of little mods they usually run 12's (depending on the driver), but from what I've heard the LT1s actually have a little more torque down low, but in any case the LS1s are usually faster from a dig or from a roll... BTW, the poor guy was probably :( :mad: :confused: after losing to a 305 GTA;) :D

LMAO at the 305GTA
it had the same front bumper with the intake air holes just like the new ram air's but with the flat hood.
I was under the impression all the 98's and newer had the LS1 and the ram air package was worth a few extra horses but not all got it. Correct me if I am wrong

PS, it was an auto and looked and sounded to be bone stock. and yes I was surprised to beat him at all, especially by as much as I did, thats why I went twice.

according to this website http://www.auto.com/reviews/qtony22_trans.htm
the 98 TA's all had LS1's and the new frontend
the non RamAir has 305HP and 335Lb-Ft of torque
and the WS6 has the same power but costs $3300 more

From the sounds of it u raced a LS1 Formula T/A which is the base model Trans Am kind of how the Z28 is the base model before the SS package for the Camaro... I've heard that the Ram air package really doesn't add any extra horses it's really in the different exhaust that the WS6 Ram air would have over the Formula... It doesn't make much of a difference cause they all seem to dyno about the same regardless of whether it's a Formula or WS6... Bottom line u beat an LS1 in your 305 GTA;)

FYI...
LS1 usually run low 13s stock, some better some worse depending on traction and driver ability.
LT1s usually run about 14 flat/low 14s stock, with very few breaking 13s stock.

Lightly modded LT1s can run mid/low 13s, lightly modded LS1s can run mid/low 12s. All is of course depending on traction and driver ability. Guys with only a higher stall torque converter, better flowing air lid, cut-out, and drag radials have run very, very low 12s in LS1s. I was running 12.6s with just a couple of mods...

It was probably a regular T/A. Formulas don’t have any cut-outs in the front bumper cover. The WS6 package really doesn’t add any power, it’s really just for looks (and slightly better handling). A WS6 may dyno 5hp more than a stock base LS1 (due to the cat-back exhaust). The WS6 hood can be modified to actually work like real ram air quite easily as I have done to mine, but in stock form it doesn’t do much.

PS. Those power ratings that they advertise are BS. Most stock LS1s put down about 300hp at the wheels, which is more like 350 fly wheel hp.

RPM WS6

A guy I know ran a 13.6 with his 2000 A4 WS6 completely bone stock... I think with a good driver the 6spd LS1s run low 13's (some have run high 12's), but the A4s seem to run mid to high 13's stock from what I have seen... Most seem to dyno anywhere from 300RWHP ot 320 bone stock and it seems like they make a little more power after being driven (broken in) after about 10,000 miles... GMHTP got a 2001 SS 6spd to run 12.9 @107mph with Evan Smith driving, and the 2001 SS Camaro was bone stock down to the paper air filter (had 11,000 miles on the OD) and dynoed 321hp to the rear wheels!!! It seems like the 2001 and 2002 LS1 fbodies run stronger though cause if I'm not mistaken they have the LS6 intake and Vortech truck cam???

RPM WS6 FYI... LS1 usually run low 13s stock, some better some worse depending on traction and driver ability.
LT1s usually run about 14 flat/low 14s stock, with very few breaking 13s stock.

well that would be about right, a bone stock A4 LS1 running a mid 13 to my low 13 according to Direct Scan. If you factor in driver ability in 2 autos, ie only one guy shifting manually, that would explain it.

and to think, I was scared at first since my boost is down to 12psi due to this crappy 91 octane!!!!!

Now I just hope I dont run into any modded LS1's since I am feeling all cocky now.....................LOL

The joy of winning only lasts till the next race.

86brick, everything you said is correct. The ’01 and up do have the LS6 intake and LQ4 truck cam, and they do tend to run faster than the other years (they also have bigger 28lb injectors like the ‘98s had). You know what’s funny though, it is a ’98 LS1 that holds the record for the fastest showroom floor stock pass (also with Evan Smith driving) at 12.84. I don’t remember the mph though.

You’re also right about breaking them in. I gained a couple mph just by putting some miles on the motor.

Yeah u know I think I have that issue of GMHTP and another funny thing was I think it was a Z28 rather than an SS Camaro they tested... Pretty cool how right off the show room floor a car can run that strong with no tweaking... The older (60s and 70s) muscle cars needed better headers, exhaust, and slicks (mainly cause the tire technology sucked) to run with the modern muscle cars of today and on top of that they got horrible gas mileage, although, it didn't really matter cause gas was so cheap in those days... Technology is a beautiful thing:D

Later, Steve

That new SLP Firehawk is coming out now in 2002. I saw it at the auto show and it really looks like something else. 345 RWH and I don't know how many pounds of torque should be capable of some nasty numbers.

About the Firehawk...

Actually, that Firehawk isn’t really new. The first Firehawks came out in 1991. They (SLP) only built a handful of them between ’91 and ’92. None that I know of were built in ’93, but starting in ’94 they re-introduced it and they’ve been building them ever since (except ’98 when they didn’t release one either). Some years were more common than others. The current Firehawks get the increased power rating (over base LS1s) due to a higher flowing air box lid and a better flowing cat-back exhaust. There are also suspension upgrades that you can order along with the car from SLP.

The ’94 and up Firehawks really don’t have any major modifications done to them past the factory equipment. Usually just exhaust, hood, wheels, suspension, graphics packages, etc.

The ‘91/’92 ‘Hawks were insanely priced for the day (like $40,000+ back when new Formulas stickered for $15,000), but that was because they came with entirely new engine packages, including available stroker blocks, better heads, intakes, etc. Back then, the Firehawk package was only available on Formulas and not T/As too...

Originally posted by RPM WS6
86brick, everything you said is correct. The ’01 and up do have the LS6 intake and LQ4 truck cam, and they do tend to run faster than the other years (they also have bigger 28lb injectors like the ‘98s had). You know what’s funny though, it is a ’98 LS1 that holds the record for the fastest showroom floor stock pass (also with Evan Smith driving) at 12.84. I don’t remember the mph though.

You’re also right about breaking them in. I gained a couple mph just by putting some miles on the motor.

I dyno'ed back to back with another new WS6, mine with 3500 miles and his with 650 miles. There was about a 10hp/15lb/ft difference between the two cars. Mine came out (on top) with 320.8RWHP/339.5RWTQ. Not bad for stock!! :D :D

2002 Trans Am WS6
1988 Colt Vista w/4G63
1971 Buick Skylark --Project Car--
- 464cid Big Block Buick, 641Hp/600Tq
- 200-4R PTS "Killer Street" Trans, 2800 Stall D5 Converter
- Still waiting on custom 9" with 3.73's and a locker :D

Re: About the Firehawk...

Originally posted by RPM WS6
Actually, that Firehawk isn’t really new. The first Firehawks came out in 1991. They (SLP) only built a handful of them between ’91 and ’92. None that I know of were built in ’93

Actually they did make Firehawks in 1993. I had a friend that had bought one used. He bought it used after buying a 1994 Formula new. The funny thing was the 94 Formula was faster running 13.80's bone stock. The best he could get out of the Firehawk was 14.20's. Both cars were A4's.

Re: Re: About the Firehawk...

Originally posted by GNVAIR

Actually they did make Firehawks in 1993. I had a friend that had bought one used.

Thanks! That’s good info, I wasn’t aware that they made ‘93s as I’ve never heard of or seen one before. You learn something new every day... :cool: