Whos got a Pit Bull?

corymc

I saw in another thread somebody was talking about pit bulls and wonder how many tb owners own a pit bull too. Heres mine Hes almost 18 months now

Attachments

• DSC01692crop.jpg
    DSC01692crop.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC01704.jpg
    DSC01704.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 575
I'm the proud owner of three pits, 4 years old,3 years old and 2 years old. Best dogs in the world. Jim

Good looking dogs here, let's keep this going, first is my male, Knuckles

Attachments

• DSC00691.jpg
    DSC00691.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 568
Here's the female, Baby. She's already a firecracker, going to fun when she gets bigger.:cool:

Attachments

• DSC00692.jpg
    DSC00692.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 551
I've owned Pit Bulls for 26 years now, my current 10 year old female will be my last. Great dogs, it's the people that get to me. I'm an active LS2.com member and they are always railing about Pit Bulls so I just keep rehashing the same post over and over and over. :D

Here it is:

Originally posted by Ern

No point in typing up any new ****, same old story, time and time again.

As a life long Pit owner I can tell you that they are dog aggressive by nature, even the happy go lucky ones, socialize it early or you will have a problem on your hands. This new fangled "it's not the dog it's the owner" is causing alot of naive owners grief, and the people whose dogs they kill.

Besides that, a dog is a dog is a dog, and when push comes to shove, even a friendly socialized pit that didnt start the fight, will usually end it quick with a fatal neck bite. Why all these "new to pits" people wanting to get in on the breed with the current climate is beyond me, my current one will be my last. It's not a road I would tell people to go down.

Originally posted by Ern

They were popular with the irish, they were the main Pit owners of the day, but breed recognition or when they came to America does not have anything to do with how long they have been around.

Bottom line: They can be great dogs, great with kids, stabile, devoted as hell, gentle, but you better damn well recognize they can be lethal as ****, mainly to animals but to humans too. I'd like to see the breed die with what diginity it has left, i.e legislate the **** out of breeding new ones. I hate typing that, but that is how I feel because the dogs I grew up with aren't the ones that I keep reading about in the news.

Originally posted by Ern

3 biggest problems pit's currently face: Ghetto breeding, Naive owners, Thugs.

Ghetto Breeding

For centuries "man biters" would be dispatched by true Pit Men, they considered fear of man a flaw and removed them from the breeding stock, they were all about gameness. They gave a rat's piss about size for the most part too, the average Pit 30-40 years ago was probably anywhere from 15-35 lb's less than "the modern pit." The larger the size, the more of the mastiff trait and less of the terrier trait the dogs have.

Today you have a bunch of boneheads going for large heads and weight while promoting a guard dog type of trait. Any old school Pit man will tell you Pit's aren't good guard dogs, they're quiet and usually were to people friendly to make a typical "attack style guard dog." So you have a dog with enough of the gameness left to make it lethal when it does go off, but none of the good traits to keep it from going off, that's a bad combination. And keep in mind I'm talking about a dog raised wrong when saying "go off", not just suddenly going berserk, that's a misconception even about the current crop of pits. These guys breed these dogs for size and jaw structure at a rapid rate with what appears to be no direct love from humans, they just want that bling bling money as fast as they can get it. When we got our first Pit in 1980 we had to look for an ad for 3-4 weeks before we saw even one Pit for sale, look in any paper now and you'll see a plethora of pits for sale, which brings us to our next issue.

Naive owners:

A MALE Pit Bull would be dog aggressive if not socialized young 9 out of 10 times, that is what they were bred for, the "it's not the breed" rhetoric is just that. They were bred to fight, and they do it well, and appear to truly enjoy it. You go in with some fantasy mindframe and you're going to have a lawsuit on your hands from your dog killing every other dog it gets near. My 2 males were friendly as hell to people, but both of them went through a lab in about 3-5 seconds. One would only fight if the other dog instigated it, he could be around other non aggressive dogs, our other was 100% old school game pit and we had to just keep him away from other dogs period. They're strong as an ox and willful as all get out, I honestly don't know if a 100-120 lb woman could have held it back if he wanted to fight a dog he saw. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are getting into the breed knowing the current climate against the owners and the breed. These dogs are great dogs, but you better know what owning one entails, and you better socialize it, excercise it, play with it, and love it or you will have a problem one day.

THUGS:

No explanation needed, this could realy be thrown into "Ghetto Breeding" as well. They cover up their own insecurities by owning a "vicious" dog that was never really bred to be vicious in that context, they were bred to fight dogs, and continue to want to fight dogs even when death was eminent, to never give up.

My babies... Best dogs ever, hands down.

Attachments

• ATT00264.jpg
    ATT00264.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 526
  • ATT00267.jpg
    ATT00267.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 536
I think the second one is more mix than PIT... can't quite figure out what else she has in her... but she's got an underbite from hell...lol.

love my dogs
projecttnx
i agree with most of your post

Attachments

• 101-0157_IMG.jpg
    101-0157_IMG.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 521
  • 111-1190_IMG.jpg
    111-1190_IMG.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 504
  • 113-1319_IMG.jpg
    113-1319_IMG.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 508
  • 113-1320_IMG..jpg
    113-1320_IMG..jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_5477.jpg
    IMG_5477.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 515
I've owned Pit Bulls for 26 years now, my current 10 year old female will be my last. Great dogs, it's the people that get to me. I'm an active LS2.com member and they are always railing about Pit Bulls so I just keep rehashing the same post over and over and over. :D

Here it is:

And you know, I respect your views from someone, who like myself, has been around these animals a long time. I agree with the low if any tolerance for other animals. There is a lot of devoted time with playing, walking, generally any exercise based thing these dogs NEED to be happy. I think the misconception is usually that okay, I paid $3000 for a pit puppy and I can leave it in my back yard chained and never play with it or take it to the local dog park and let it run amok. People should read and read somemore and ask pit owners what the downfalls are to having this breed before they jump in for the "cool" factor or what-not. They are a really popular breed these days and unfortunatly a lot of them end up in shelters because of mis-use, overbreeding and neglect. Your statements are pretty accurate as hesitant as I am to admit that.:)

I don't have a pit and honestly never plan on getting one, but a friend of mine just got two and she is new too the breed. Project TNX's post screamed at me, his description of the naive owner is perfectly describing my friend. I had no idea pits were the "cool" breed to get nowadays. Hopefully she will raise the dogs right so that they are happy and loving

We got four of them at home and 17 pups about 2 weeks old all blues with ukc paper work

I have English Staffordshire Bull Terrier, not a pit bull but kinda looks like one. Premium pedigree from South Africa, friggin hand full!

Attachments

• Pacheaux 057.jpg
    Pacheaux 057.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 467