Who's got the best torque Convertor?

RatFink

PutTheNeedleOnTheRecord!
Trans went away this weekend. Not sure what's wrong specifically.
Haven't taken it out yet. While it's out, I'm wanting to change the convertor.
Who's got the best? Vigilante? TCI? Prescision? Art Carr?
I think I'm going to non-locking. The bb61 spooled really good with the 27-2800 stall, so I don't need to go radically higher (or do I?). I was thinking of going to a 3000 or 3200 for room to grow down the road. Any suggestions? prices?

I love the PTS extreme was running 3200 went to 3600 9/11

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

and I kept the lock up WAY NOT you can add more mph on the top end if you lock it in 3rd and better gas mil.

thanks JD

IF you go Vigilante get a 5 disc. Mine has basically 0 slip when it is locked in 3rd. Unlocked they are not the best I do not think. Mine was around 10% slip unlocked. It picked up 1.5 tenths and 4MPH when I lock it in 3rd.

I'd probably go with the 0 pump 5 disc vigilante for your turbo. It may be a little higher stall than you need but it won't matter when you lock it. And the car will be a beast on the street. My $.02.

Thanks for the input all. So I'm gathering that going non-lockup isn't the way to go. I thought the non-locker would be stonger.

Thanks for the input all. So I'm gathering that going non-lockup isn't the way to go. I thought the non-locker would be stonger.

if your running 10 sec. or faster, non lock up is the only way to go.

sverble,i really like the protorque 10 inch 3200 lockup.no noise,lockup is excellent.

West Coast Converters are great 3000-3200 lockup. Havent seen anyone come close to there price.

Multi disc Vigilante, 3200 stall. Easily low 1.6s on Nittos in my car. Best of 1.61 and consistent too :)

If you go with a vigilante, get the multi disc lock up. When you lock it in 3rd gear it is nearly 100% efficient. My had .2% slip. Unlocked it was around 10%. Which is not that great. I heard the PTC unit has good numbers unlocked. Around 6% or so I have read. There could be better numbers out there.

I can only speak on the vigilante multi disc since that is all I have used. The car picked up 1.5 tenths and 4MPH by locking it as soon as the car hits 3rd gear. I have talked to 2 other guys with the 5 disc Vig and they both said there slip was basically 0 when it is locked. There is a noticable difference when the converter locks. Feel like a N2O hit. :p This is on my GN. 27lbs of boost to hit that time. On 93 and alky too. :cool:

Wow!, too many choices. Keep the suggestions coming. I have a while before I'll have the $$$ to fix it anyway. thanx:eek: :biggrin:

My Vigilante 3200-3400 was not good for a 10 sec car. I blew through it to the tune of 18-20% slip, unlocked through the traps. The slippage down low was even more horendous. So I bought a PTC non-lock. Will see what it does in the spring.

The Vig is a nice converter, just not for a 10 sec car. I'm putting it in my 12sec car instead. Should work OK there.

im pretty sure Quiky One is also running a WCC in his TTA

I am, but I am not going to comment on it until I race with it. I want to give a fair and honest opinion. I'll let ya know in BG sverble whether I like it or not. Shoot, I'll take you for a ride in it.

Jason