Who's into RC?

jmidolo

Sexy MF Joe
I've been into RC stuff now for about 10 yrs or so. Started in nitro airplanes, then into battery trucks. Haven't had the time in recent years to fly and the club lost our flying spot so it's tough to fly with out a "Home Field" Got out out the battery trucks about 5 yrs ago. Had an Associated RC10T2. Great truck, used to race all the time, had a blast. Had the bug bigtime...wizbang battery charger, matching station..you name it ! :)

Anyways, thinking of getting back into it and looking into Nitro trucks, having owned an Associated before, I was checking out the RC10GT Factory Team Kit. Was interested to hear how many of you are into it and can offer any advice. Also looking for some RC message boards since I'm sure there's so much more stuff and info out there from 5 yrs ago when I got out.

Thanks,
Joe

About RC airfields....

Every field is good for at least ONE flight ;) You can always beg forgiveness rather than ask permission.

I didn't like the noise of the powered aircraft, so, specialized in gliders. Had prolly 20 at one time or another. Mostly 2-3 meter wingspans. Texas was a good place to find thermals. Weather is not as good in Colorado for flying. Have gliders in the attic still in the packing boxes for 10+ years.

Have you tried stunt kites? FUN, and grandkids enjoy them.

Interests change. Why fight it :cool:

I've always wanted a remote control P-47 Thunderbolt. How much would you have to pay for a decent one?

You don't just start out w/a p47...you gotta start with a trainer..but to answer your quesion, you're looking at at least 600 minimum..all depends on what radio/motor etc...anywhere from 500 up for a plane ready to go.

Joe

You stated "RC", so I will assume that includes cars.

In my closet of cool crap, I have an Associated RC10, Associated RC12, Tamyia Optima, Kyosho Ultima, Tamiya Frog, and about 50 pounds of batteries, radios, servos, motors, and spare parts. I haven't touched them in about 5 years, keep meaning to.

About 10 years or so ago I was into RC big time. Started off just messing around with a Big Bear truck and then tried racing dirt with it at an indoor track in Manchester CT. Graduated to a JRXT (think that what it was) truck and had a great time with that.

Heard about a new track at the time opening up in Plainville and went to check it out. It was a high bank carpeted track, first class all the way with transponders for the cars with a computer run scoring system. They had a truck class, so I converted it to race on carpet. Started pushing the rules to the limits with specially made battery packs, they were ruled illegal once they found out what I had! Ran 7 cells and they were oversize, man did that truck fly.

Ended up racing cars after that, had a RC10L super speedway car and had tons of fun with that car. Won a few A mains with it. The competition got to be too expensive after a while, had to have the new motor every other week, etc and was spending way too much money on that hobby and the big car hobby so I got out. Sold all my stuff for $350! Wish I kept it but hindsight is 20/20.

I had a rubber band escapement drive Minnie Mambo back in the 60's. :)

Single channel. Flew like a bird. Spent about a year and a half building and painting it. :D

My older brother had a tube set proportional controller, he was cool. :cool:

Stuff was a lot bigger back then. ;)

Originally posted by victa1
You stated "RC", so I will assume that includes cars.

In my closet of cool crap, I have an Associated RC10, Associated RC12, Tamyia Optima, Kyosho Ultima, Tamiya Frog, and about 50 pounds of batteries, radios, servos, motors, and spare parts. I haven't touched them in about 5 years, keep meaning to.

Quite an assortment, all great stuff. I loved my battery truck, it flew..had a bunch of dif motors, gears all sortsa stuff. Looking to get back into it but in Nitro now. Not sure if I wanna go w/the RC10GT or the AWD Nitro TC3. Thats a pretty bad azz car!

About ten years ago I was really deep into RC cars. I had rc10 ,losi, titan, and abounch of other crap. Raced for 3 years and became one of the best drivers in my area. Those were great memories. I also still use alot of the things I learned from them cars.

I would definately go with the RC10GT. Of course I could be biased since I have one. ;) Seriously these things are as bad as the big cars, there's alyays one mort thing to buy, just want to go a little faster. Cash goes bye-bye very quickly. I personally own six Rc cars, 2 of them nitro. 3 planes, and a Battle ship model that may see completion someday. The nitro cars are a blast but can be real PITA sometimes, make sure you have a friend of at least a friendly hobby shop that is willing to help you until you've got it figured out. I diddn't, so mine took a few unpowered flights across the yard when it pissed me off enough. I've got to say that my planes are the most fun when it comes to sheer performance. I have a Great Planes Super Sportster with a YS .63 Supercharged 4 stroke and a pressureized fuel system. You can roll out 15 feet on the grass, pull it the stick back, turn the smoke on, and burn a hole in the sky straight up for as long as you wish. :eek: :D :D My next one to be completed is a "customized" Ultra Sport 40, With a Rossi .53 and a tuned pipe. I looking for 100+ MPH in level fligt. Should be fun. :cool:

How about those "real" gas turbined scale model F-4's, F-16's
etc.......One of my favorites is that huge B-29........Awesome hobby!!!!

Looks like you got a sweet deal. I'm afraid to add up how much I have into mine. Yes, a .15 will fit. As long as it has the standard style (regular or short, you can easely cut it to the right length.)crank snout and side exhaust. I have a OS .15 CV in mine and with traction, it will pull the front wheels up and over when it comes up on the pipe. Can you tell I have a thing for excessive amounts of power.;) !

RC's are great fun. I bought a Traxxes T-Maxx from a friend and love the heck out of it. There's as much or more in aftermarket parts for them as for my car! Money go bye bye but, oooo what fun. LOL

i was into them very much till i found out in my area there illegal cuz of the nosie of gas powerd .21 :D

im selling a rs4 hpi supra with 5 bodys

lots of mods the only stock parts are the radio and servo's
has a .21 upgraded suspion u name it ive probely done it to it

i never really raced it im too scarid of it

its f/s at 1500 obo cheap concedering i got 2k or more into it

Yea, the .21 makes some big noise. I had an 1/8th scale 4wd one too..can't even remember the name but that fooker was LOUD. I'm sure the neighbors will LOVE ME!! :) I live on a cul de sac...hrm...roundy round lol.

Originally posted by Sleeper-6
Looks like you got a sweet deal. I'm afraid to add up how much I have into mine. Yes, a .15 will fit. As long as it has the standard style (regular or short, you can easely cut it to the right length.)crank snout and side exhaust. I have a OS .15 CV in mine and with traction, it will pull the front wheels up and over when it comes up on the pipe. Can you tell I have a thing for excessive amounts of power.;) !

Yea, that's less than 1/2 price...or just about 1/2. I had it for 130 too..I bid a little too early. It had 3 min left...then this guy bid w/about 10 seconds left...I should have waited to bid since I had just caught it w/4 mins left to the end too! Oh well, I still made out pretty good. The guy is gonna send me the motor mount and clutch so I can use a pull start motor in it. Time to do some research on OS motors now. It's been awhile since I've looked at em.

So, there's a few people into it..but no one answered me if there's any good sites on the net or boards that you check out???

Don't know about boards, a hobby shop is probably the best place to ask for that kind of thing. I have a greatplanes electrostreak that's just waiting on a battery charger and some finishing touches, then me learning how to fly. Was thinking of getting that computer trainer program that lets you hook up a futaba style controller to your computer.