Why are C-clips so bad?

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
I read alot that C-clips are not good because they don't keep the wheel in if the axle breaks. But is there ever an issue with a C-Clip breaking? What if you have rear discs? I'd imagine the caliper unit would keep the wheel on? I'm too old to be asking dumb questions like this, but someone school me!

I read alot that C-clips are not good because they don't keep the wheel in if the axle breaks. But is there ever an issue with a C-Clip breaking? What if you have rear discs? I'd imagine the caliper unit would keep the wheel on? I'm too old to be asking dumb questions like this, but someone school me!
Bah...you're never too old to learn.

the ideal way to do it is to have a shop weld weld ford 9" ends to your existing axle tubes and have them order custom axles from strange. No c-clips, no leaky c-clip eliminators and your rear end will be straightened at the same time. i have yet to see a buick 8.5 that is perfectly straight. Now you have the option for the million different types of disc brakes made for Ford 9's

I dont get it either. I have worked on cars for 30 years and have seen two c-clips fail. These were on stock gm cars.
I have seen axles break two differant ways they broke at the outer bearing and a handfull twisted off at the spline. Im guessing going to a Ford outer end would make it alot stronger because the axle is bigger at that end.But the inner axle size is still the same .

chopped39 said:
I dont get it either. I have worked on cars for 30 years and have seen two c-clips fail. These were on stock gm cars.
I have seen axles break two differant ways they broke at the outer bearing and a handfull twisted off at the spline. Im guessing going to a Ford outer end would make it alot stronger because the axle is bigger at that end.But the inner axle size is still the same .

You never saw a car along the side of the road where the wheel/axle is attempting to exit the housing? We used to travel a lot by car when I was a kid and seems like I saw two or three a year. Or at the strip when a wheel/axle makes an exit and the car hits the pavement? With the outer bearing pressed on the axle shaft and bolted to the housing that wheel/axle has a much slimmer chance of exit as there isn't much axle to break on the out side of the bearing. The cutlass/skylark 8.5 in 71-72 has bolt in axles and I know turbofish38 modded/narrowed one to put under his GN.

another point worth mentioning is that axles retained by c-clips have a lot more in/out play that tends to act funny with aftermarket disc brakes.

chopped 39. ive seen quite a few axles break mid shaft and the wheel comes out just enough to tear up the 1/4 panel.

another point worth mentioning is that axles retained by c-clips have a lot more in/out play that tends to act funny with aftermarket disc brakes.

chopped 39. ive seen quite a few axles break mid shaft and the wheel comes out just enough to tear up the 1/4 panel.

Is that the DR? Are you still in India?

yes sir, ill be back in the summer .....I plan on taking this one 442 to some car shows.

I've seen several axles break and shoot the wheel out. Some go a foot or so and hang on others go out and keep going. Every time I've seen a break at at the track, it was right after bad tire shake or axle hop.

i Actually thought you would be more of a Hurst Olds fan..... the HO emblem suites you.

Does the angle/location of the control arm ears on the big cars with the 8.5 match the G body? Reason I ask, is if you were going to get ford ends welded on, wouldn't you go get a garden variety big car 8.5 and narrow it at the same time, instead of chopping the ends off a rearend that people are paying a grand for? Assuming width is the only difference, which it must not be, or everybody would've already thought of it.

You never saw a car along the side of the road where the wheel/axle is attempting to exit the housing? We used to travel a lot by car when I was a kid and seems like I saw two or three a year. Or at the strip when a wheel/axle makes an exit and the car hits the pavement? With the outer bearing pressed on the axle shaft and bolted to the housing that wheel/axle has a much slimmer chance of exit as there isn't much axle to break on the out side of the bearing. The cutlass/skylark 8.5 in 71-72 has bolt in axles and I know turbofish38 modded/narrowed one to put under his GN.

What I am getting at here, is what was the problem with these cars? Was it the c-clip failing or the axle breaking? If it was the C-clip breaking, then how come I don't see anyone making aftermarket billet steel or equivalent c-clips. From all the threads I have read, the axle is what fails on the 10-bolts. A simple set of mosers should fix that problem.

I'd like to get a ford 9 inch, but it's not in the cards financially right now, not to mention, overkill for my build.

i Actually thought you would be more of a Hurst Olds fan..... the HO emblem suites you.

Well, at least you live true to your name, being that you enjoy putting on your rubber gloves and well, you know, giving men physicals. Why was it you won't do females?

What I am getting at here, is what was the problem with these cars? Was it the c-clip failing or the axle breaking? If it was the C-clip breaking, then how come I don't see anyone making aftermarket billet steel or equivalent c-clips. From all the threads I have read, the axle is what fails on the 10-bolts. A simple set of mosers should fix that problem.

I'd like to get a ford 9 inch, but it's not in the cards financially right now, not to mention, overkill for my build.

The problem is the method of axle retention. The C-clip it's self is not the issue unless the axle breaks. The harder a car launches the higher the chance of a busted axle, An axle that sees uncontrolled wheel hop is even more at risk. I watched a junky 14 sec Granada spit the axle out 2 weeks in a row b/c they had awful wheel hop. If they sured up the rear suspension it probably would never had a been an issue with that car. Yes it's true they also do have some "play" in them so the axle can pull in and out some. I had a Trans Am WS6 with discs. I didn't really see any problems with the rear discs but the doesn't mean there couldn't be.
Something else about the Ford 9", is saps some hp. Ford ends are probably the best solution if you need them for sub 11 seconds at the track.

If the axle breaks, which is the common problem, it will come out, usually with expensive results, and I "assume" you do not have aftermarket rear disk brakes?

I had an axle break at the flange where it was "supposed" to be retained by C-clip eliminator bolted to the backing plate, wheel went right, car made an immediate left off the starting line into the side of a car next to me? :eek:

I was pissed, but not as much as the owner of the late model car that had his right side really messed up. :( Cost me a fender and header panel replacement, but I feel fortunate it happened there instead of down track at 100 MPH+.

The stock 8.5" rear end now has 33 spline axles with the Ford-type weld on end. The weak link is now the ring and pinion which I replace as a maintenance item after many hard runs, still less expensive than a Ford 9", and have seen them take out a ring and pinion as well.

Another option is to replace your stock C-clip 28 spline axles with a 30 spline which is stronger, but you will need a 30 spline carrier, as I just did this on one of my street cars.

Well, at least you live true to your name, being that you enjoy putting on your rubber gloves and well, you know, giving men physicals. Why was it you won't do females?
i dont give men physicals, that was a one time only deal for you. Some times it takes a prostate exam to let a man really know who is in charge. NOW GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN AND MAKE ME A SAMMICH!