You can type here any text you want

Why...oil holes.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
Why are the thrust bearing oil hole always smaller than the other 3? Is it ok to open it up to the same size as 1,3,4..1/4 i believe.

Go ahead and open it up if it makes you feel better. I don;t and have never had an issue (that was casude by the hole size anyway) Some guys drill the feed hole bigger in the block, too, but I feel that weakens the already weak block.

Well I already did:smile: and I have been on my last 10 or so builds. Reason I ask it I got a little carried away as an experiment on a project and this motor ate the trust terrible for a street car but that hole was opened larger than the hole in the block. I suspect that had something to do with it. I have been through the trans and will verify line pressure when they are both back in the car. This was a daily driver not a beaten on car last 3k miles before i found the thrust issue.

I don't open the block or us HV oil pumps.

Personally I have found that the number one reason for thrust failure on a Buick is that after a crank has been ground, say .010/.010" the crank grinder will always "touch" the thrust surface to "true it". The grinding wheel leaves what looks like a saw blade finish on the surface. I hand polish the surface with 600, then 1500 grit paper and have not had a thrust failure since. I use to frequently. Try that and see if that helps.

Personally I have found that the number one reason for thrust failure on a Buick is that after a crank has been ground, say .010/.010" the crank grinder will always "touch" the thrust surface to "true it". The grinding wheel leaves what looks like a saw blade finish on the surface. I hand polish the surface with 600, then 1500 grit paper and have not had a thrust failure since. I use to frequently. Try that and see if that helps.

Ken,I was aware of that I do that with my ground cranks. This crank was a std/std crank. As well as the one I replaced it with,no saw marks.

Back