You can type here any text you want

Why SHOULDN'T I use E85??????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Only downside I see is if you don't have a flex fuel sensor and you live in an area where the E85 content varies greatly you might have to test fuel and monitor your tune more.
E85 is anywhere from E85 down to E65 at the pumps I have tested in Houston. I just go to the best station every time and still check the content occasionally. I have a flex fuel sensor but have not installed it yet.
E85 was less than a dollar a gallon here a few months ago so I ran a few tanks through my 2014 Tahoe to see how the mileage was. My in-town mileage went from about 16 mpg on gas to about 11 mpg on E85.
I don't really care about mileage on my GN and E85 is way cheaper and easier to get here than $15 a gallon race gas so I love the E85.
You can still blow a head gasket with it if you make a mistake however. Ask me how I know.
I would say try it.

You can mix fuels, run straight gas, straight E85+,etc... and run the same tune as long as you are running a flex fuel sensor.
good information. Now to put the "water in the gas" stories around these parts to bed.

what pumps were they >> I have yet to see but 1 DW300 fail on E85 out of probably 100 or more .. and that one for sure was an installation issue that killed it.

WALBLOW's ... yeah seen quite a few of those take a dump on E85 AS WELL AS PUMP GAS !
Like I said. I am no expert. Just what I was told people a lot smarter than me.

So does someone normally make about same HP on E85 as apposed to 93+alky?

So does someone normally make about same HP on E85 as apposed to 93+alky?

I'd never try a "set on kill" tune with 93&alky .. With E85 you can really turn the wick up and not give up anything in the tune

Sensor installed, Pump installed, lines installed, FAST is initially setup with first params, 10 gallons of E85 in the tank....ready to roll.

Go burn some chocolate popcorn! Careful of people following too close to smell the exhaust. You'll grow to love it!

That is the oddest smelling fuel ever! I hope it smells differently when under burn lol. Not that I am bitching, just weird thoughts about first use impressions. I wont be able to burn till mid next week after the rotating assy comes in from Phoenix.

Best description I have is chocolate popcorn. I think it pretty accurately describes the burnt exhaust smell.
Chocolate popcorn = POWER!!!!!
thats great. I was wondering what the chocolate popcorn meaning was at first but now I get it lmao......

So does alcohol content really vary 65% to 85%. I was thinking of switching soon so i guess ill HAVE to install an alcohol sensor.

It really doesn't in my experience. I have tested in Indiana and Tennessee both with little variance.

It really doesn't in my experience. I have tested in Indiana and Tennessee both with little variance.

The e85 really isn't that inconsistent IF you fill up with it EVERY time. It's when you have to fill up with something non e85 is when the sensor becomes VERY important.

It's been spot on every time I've checked it and that's from 3 different gas stations . (y)

I dont think it smells anything like chocolate popcorn lol

Ill say it reminds me of diesel fuel because it stays in your clothes.

my latest reading off the FAST system reads .70 which is just a touch lower than E85. This is because of 93 left in the tank. 10 gallons of E85, half gallon of 93, so it is right at 85, or a little more.

Dumb question: Will the new flex fuel vehicles produce more horsepower if you use E85 rather than 87 octane?

Dumb question: Will the new flex fuel vehicles produce more horsepower if you use E85 rather than 87 octane?
Yes. The window sticker on my 2014 Tahoe shows different hp and torque numbers for E85 and gas and the E85 numbers are higher. ECM probably runs more timing with the E85?

All of the variances in ethanol content in E85 I posted about previously were measured with a fuel tester. When I fill up with E85 in my GN I also bring a 2 gallon gas can with me and fill that up as well. When I get home I test the ethanol content from the gas can with the little test tube tester that everyone uses. The E85 that Valero sells at several stations is consistently below E70 and costs more than their regular gasoline so I don't know why anyone would ever buy it there. The E85 at Kroger usually tests at a little under E80 and the E85 that HEB sells is typically right on E85 but never over. HEB also has the best price so that is where I buy it all the time now. I guess you guys have it better up there closer to the corn states. Here in Houston there is a sticker on the E85 pumps that states that it has a minimum content of E70 so 85% is not even guaranteed.

Biggest thing I hate about E85 is the power it makes. Everything behind my engine became weaker!:confused::D

I used to always wonder why people on this board stated that they wish they would have left their car stock. I'm starting to understand now, as my car doesn't get driven as much due to things not holding up as well with the bigger HP and TQ numbers.

It's a good problem to have, but stock is way more reliable.

Back