You can type here any text you want

Wide Band O2 / How to connect a Guage?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ProchargedCobra

I am wanting to hook up a guage to my SP wide band O2. So I can see my a/f without having the laptop connected.

Can any a/f gauge be used? Just splice into the harness going to the speed pro from the wide band?

Anyone else done this?

Thanks,

The only thing I've seen out there is gauges meant for use with narrow band sensors so your going to have to use the laptop. The other option is checking out diy-efi.org site as there are instructions for building your own WB setup but the output is currently read via a voltmeter but there is some work towards a digital display but its probably quite a bit down the road. I'm waiting for parts to build 2 for myself for correct A/F tuning still using the stock ECM and chips.

Mark
87GN

You can use...

Typical O2 meters use the non-linear narrowband O2 (0-.9V). The WBO2 has a linear 0-5V output. They work opposite. The NBO2 is lean @ 0V, while the WBO2 is lean @ 5V. You can use a digital volt meter to read the output voltage. Each voltage is equivalent to a particular A/F. Mine is: 0V=10:1, .5V=11:1, 1V=12:1, 1.5V=13.1 etc.. You can setup your own chart with the laptop and DVM. Set it up on the dash like a Percy's or Computech EGT meter, they look similar. You can use the Fluke meter that saves peak recording, which will record the leanest voltage. I don't recall the model though. But I'm sure there's info on a website. BTW, since a DVM is impedance matching, it shouldn't affect the circuit either, so you should be OK.

Thanks for the replies!!

-64duece

Do you know which wires need to be monitored? It's been a while since I looked at the O2, but there are four wires right?

I have a different setup, but mine uses 5 wires. Maybe one of the locals here can give you the pinout for the 0-5V signal and ground.

What would they say.......

Hmmmm, a foad fan getting tips on Buick site......what would his fellow rustang buddies say? ;)

Originally posted by ProchargedCobra
I am wanting to hook up a guage to my SP wide band O2. So I can see my a/f without having the laptop connected.
Can any a/f gauge be used? Just splice into the harness going to the speed pro from the wide band?
Anyone else done this?
Thanks,

All the normal aftermarket items are for the 0-1v output O2 sensors.
The WB are )-5, and also have a slew rate in them.

Either invest in the DIY WB, and use a meter with it, or hook your laptop up.

Re: What would they say.......

Originally posted by COPTZR
Hmmmm, a foad fan getting tips on Buick site......what would his fellow rustang buddies say? ;)

add another rustang to the list!

:D

Bruce,

None of those parts are available on that site for DIY wide ban O2.

Is there any way to invert the voltage readout from a WB O2 from its 0.5v lean reading so it duplicates the NB O2 lean reading at 0.0v.

Reason I would want to do this is so the Direct Scan would record the WB readout if it was connected to ECM as stock O2 is.

I know this is a reach.

Once you add up the cost of the WB O2, a method to record the O2 readings, and a method to adjust the fuel curves and ECM settings the cost of F.A.S.T becomes more reasonable.

Deep Enough

Donald McMullin

Originally posted by Donald McMullin
Is there any way to invert the voltage readout from a WB O2 from its 0.5v lean reading so it duplicates the NB O2 lean reading at 0.0v.
Reason I would want to do this is so the Direct Scan would record the WB readout if it was connected to ECM as stock O2 is.
I know this is a reach.
Once you add up the cost of the WB O2, a method to record the O2 readings, and a method to adjust the fuel curves and ECM settings the cost of F.A.S.T becomes more reasonable.

Anything is possible, just a matter of why?.
So far not enough folks have called/ or written Ken or Chu to have them modify either scanner to data log another input. IMO, that would be a great idea.

You last statment is only true if you're not a DIY'er.
The WB printed circuit board is like $5, $20 for parts, $120 for sender. $150 gives me a working sensor.
Luckily I have friends and for another $50 I have my own data logging that records ALL the RAM locations, plus 6 other inputs.
Add a set of PnH drivers and for less then $300 I can do anything anyone else can, I have a translator plus so I can even do tuning faster then someone with a laptop and programming an ecm.

Now, I'll admit my setup ain't for the faint of heart, but rather a mention of what someone can do.

Originally posted by QKRNYRS
I think that this is Waht you are looking for.... Kinda cool actually, I was looking at getting one of these for my Speed-Pro as well.

Wide Band O2 Digital Readout :)

Sorry but no that won't work.
If you read the advertizing he still talking about a 0-1v scale, or at least that's what I get out of it.

It's getting to where there is a serious amount of mis-information floating around. I guess it's to be expected with any new technology.

Bruce,

You must not have read down enough, or at the right link. The guy is selling basically a 0-19v voltmeter display, and mentions using tables to convert that voltage to an AFR as 64deuce suggests above. It'd work, but no better than a DVM velcroed to your dash. :)

Originally posted by QKRNYRS
OK this might not be the "Actual DIY" kit but here is what you are looking for
A/F Meter

Are you stating as fact the the FUEL ecm uses the same voltages as the OZ DIY-WB, for indicating AFR?.

If you know that as fact, well that's fine, and interesting.
If not, before any one does anything about using this display I'd check with Craig or Lance.

IF IT IS:
Then I'd suggest you go the US site (www.DIY-WB.COM) and look at Bruce Roes LED display. It's really intuiative, and I just posted some info about it at the General Tech Board.

There was a post about a year ago where a board member referenced a web site that had a board you could put in your computer slot. It was for data logging and I believe it would accept up to 8 inputs from a type k thermocouple, or 6 thermocouples and two 0-5v inputs. I lost the link but it might be suitable for data logging the WBO2 sensor output. If anyone has the link please post it. I will also try and find it. I don't own a lap top, but do they have expansion slots?

Wow, my memory is getting bad. I found what I was looking for. It actually was a 4 or 8 channel parallel port data acquisition system. Here is the link http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=OMKTDA So, will it datalog the DIY WBO2 sensor output? I know the original post was for use without the computer, but seemed like a good place to address this.

Back