You can type here any text you want

Wide Band O2 / How to connect a Guage?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Originally posted by KendallF
Bruce,

You must not have read down enough, or at the right link. The guy is selling basically a 0-19v voltmeter display, and mentions using tables to convert that voltage to an AFR as 64deuce suggests above. It'd work, but no better than a DVM velcroed to your dash. :)

The only thing I found on that site was in theory of operation he mentions 0-1 volt.

For whatever reaason it won't work with the FUEL WB setup. 0-19 or 0-1

$13 bucks is alot better than $199.00 to start. Good stuff. You could datalog the DIY WBO2 voltage, add a pressure transducer to log boost, and log TPS voltage. What kind of signal is the tach? If you could convert the tach signal to a voltage you could log that also. Hmmmmmmm....

Re: You can use...

Originally posted by 64duece
You can use a digital volt meter to read the output voltage. Each voltage is equivalent to a particular A/F. Mine is: 0V=10:1, .5V=11:1, 1V=12:1, 1.5V=13.1 etc.. You can use the Fluke meter that saves peak recording, which will record the leanest voltage.

I already have the Fluke meter. 2 questions:

Does the heating element in the NTK just need to be connected to a 12v source when operated? (no temp regulating or anything)

Does anyone know the wiring color codes for the sensor?

Adam....

You do realize that it's not just as simple as hooking up to the WB O2 sensor....right?

There is a circuit board that controls and conditions the signal coming from the O2 sensor. Part of the circuit powers the heater in the sensor.....a red LED lights up when the sensor is up to temp.

There are three basic pieces to the DIY_WB.....the Sensor....the circuit board....and a choice of different readouts. The readout could be your Fluke meter. Some are using a LED bar graph display designed by Bruce Roe. (I haven't soldered mine up yet, but I'm going with Bruce's LED display)

Check out http://www.aces.edu/~gparmer/efi/temp/wb/guide.html

but first read http://www.diy-wb.com/

John

Originally posted by JDEstill
xlr8ngn, check out http://www.dataq.com, they have some data acquisition stuff there. I've been thinking about getting their starter kit to play with.

John Estill

I got a couple of their 4 channel 8 bit starter units last year. They draw their power from the serial port and my IBM Thinkpad 760 wouldn't provide quite enough voltage. I put one in a box for a friend to data log a heated narrow band O2 sensor with, and had it plug into the cigarette lighter for 12 V power for the heater. Then I tapped off this with a diode and resistor to provide just enough of a pull-up to make the Dataq board happy power-wise. Used a LM324 as input buffer to take the 0-1 V O2 sensor and make 0-10 V to feed the Dataq, and lifted/shifted the input surface mount resistors to change their -10 to 10 V input range to 0-10 V. While I was at it I added banana plug output jacks so he could use his DVM when he didn't feel like fooling with the laptop. Should have added a pushbutton switch, maybe in parallel with a throttle linkage switch, and used one of the digital inputs to get a start signal for synchronizing the start of a pass. Anyway, I thought $14.99 was a great price for the Dataq units. They have a 12 bit unit for about $50 if you want more resolution. Inside they are just a PIC microcontroller, some power regulation circuitry, and some input scaling resistors - very cute.

Oh, Buick content - my friend uses this on his 71 Skylark :).

Originally posted by OKTurbo
Adam....

You do realize that it's not just as simple as hooking up to the WB O2 sensor....right?

John,
I didn't figure it could be that simple, but couldn't find it plainly spelled out that this was the case. Thanks for the explanation and the link! I'll re-read the DIY page and go from there.

Back