Wideband 02 Solution

rkreigh

looking for a relatively inexpensive wideband 02 Air fuel monitor.

I've heard of a few, but don't really want to build a kit, and need a good tuning aid.

looking at direct scan and an EGT, but a wide band 02 is what I have my heart set on.

I think if I could somehow hook an electronic boost controller to the wideband to dump boost at anything over 13-1 A/F at WOT (or 1700 EGT for that matter) it would be ideal.

any ideas??? tia

I hate to say this, but if you don't want to build one like the DIY_WB you're going to spend some bucks. $1000 is considered inexpensive if you want a "real" wide band O2/ Air-Fuel meter.

I have some more links on my computer at home that I can post this evening. There is of course the Cadillac....Horiba meter $$$$.
You might look at http://www.motec.com
and http://www.fjoinc.com/automotive/products.htm

John

Make friends with people who can solder...

I have a friend who is an EE and into SVO Stangs. When I showed him the DIY WB site, he told me he could build it for me no problem. I just asked that he show me what he's doing when he builds it.

Labor $50/hr.
If you watch $75/hr.
If you worked on it first $200/hr.
:)

O2 meterz

Go to: www.lambdaboy.com. They build a REAL 5 wire setup that has software,[can use a Lt if you want to record] and all the components for $485.00.

It's a plug and play deal and has "no assembly required" right on the box!!;) ;) ;)

Why not just goto a DYNO with a WB02 capability? Tune it on the dyno... done.

Sometimes you can get in on a group purchase (car club) for dyno time. Being the LAST guy on the dyno, they (dyno operator) will let you TUNE your car (vs. just pulls).

;)
Curt
ULUZ2A6

I've also heard of "rose racing" the viper guys have a wide band A/F monitor. can't find anything on them.

I want this setup for less than 350 I agree that tuning on the dyno is the way to go, but I want to tune for various boost levels/timing ect on the street and strip with both pump and race gas.

would take more than a few dyno runs to do that.

I also would like to move the system around between cars like the scan master. that would be cool.

thanks for the help!!!:D

350?/

w/ the cost of a REAL 5 wire at over $200... NOT going to be many folks selling the entire system for less than $350:eek: [Not to mention, it has recording capability]
The LAMBDABOY has the long wiring leads and such w/ the word "portable" being the idea.:cool:

A cheaper 5 wire WB O2 sensor was equipped on mid 90s 1.5L VTEC Civics (lean burn engines). I think it was $117 at www.hparts.com
This was the part referenced on the diy-wb web site.

Re: 350?/

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
w/ the cost of a REAL 5 wire at over $200... NOT going to be many folks selling the entire system for less than $350:eek: [Not to mention, it has recording capability]
The LAMBDABOY has the long wiring leads and such w/ the word "portable" being the idea.:cool:

The price difference is due to a users agreement, and selling the working data for that particular sensor. At least as things were report in the DIY-EFI archives. There are some clever marketing strategies also involved with these.

All the commonly used WBs are either Bosch, or NTK. Yes, NTK is a division of NGK. If you buy a VTEC 5 wire from Bosch you'll get a repackaged NTK sensor.

If you interested in fast data logging and really seeing the full picture, then Lockers is what you want, but alias, it's DIY, and requires assembly.

For those not inclinded to build their own, I'd look really long and hard at the Bailey Eng WB. I think it's avaiable from Ramchargers.

great stuff!!! WB has finally become affordable.

wonder if there is anyway to interface this stuff to an electronic waste gate controller to lower boost like the factory does. I have twin delta gates on the crossover (I know, old school, but hey I AM old), and I would love to have the wideband 02 sensor be able to cut back boost in the event the A/F ratio goes above 13 to 1 at WOT or detnation (knock sensor) rears its ugly head.

after blowing up a few 231s, I have learned to tune for ZERO detonation.

I think combining the WB 02 with EGT and a direct scan, I will finally have the tuning arsenal I need to get this thing going.

thanks for all the feeback.

Bailey Engr and Lockers??

Bruce, do you have a web addy for them?? Lockers??
I'm not into assembling one of these things, as I don't have the tools to do it. I need a real portable system....That's why I looked at the Lambdaboy.
Someone mentioned that the data logging on a LT is of little value unless the log can be tied directly to the run made to get the data.. Any ideas on that??

Re: Bailey Engr and Lockers??

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
Bruce, do you have a web addy for them?? Lockers??
I'm not into assembling one of these things, as I don't have the tools to do it. I need a real portable system....That's why I looked at the Lambdaboy.
Someone mentioned that the data logging on a LT is of little value unless the log can be tied directly to the run made to get the data.. Any ideas on that??

Bailey Eng is Bob Bailey
Bob Bailey
E-mail Address(es):
bob@bailey-eng.com

The Lockers info is at the DIY-EFI FTP.
Thou, it takes assembly, it reads 15 frames per second, and all 255 RAM locations. So you get to see everything the ecm is thinking about. It also has 4 extra channels for data logging.

You either have to have deep pockets or need to learn to solder. I have about $70 in the Lockers, and while it lacks the pretty interface of Direct Scan you just can't beat it for data logging.

Yes, you have to have all your inputs synch'd, trying to read data smeared over 3 frames is about useless, IMO.