You can type here any text you want

widest wheel you can fit....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

my1stgn

what is the widest wheel you can fit on a GN that has a notched frame and rolled fenders. My buddy has a plasma cutter and welder so nothing the frame will be easy and I was thinking about rolling the fenders before I sent the car in for paint. Also if I was just to notch the frame, what size wheels could I fit incase I have to wait to paint the car. thanks!

I have a 10" wheel with 325 M/T drag radials

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 352
  • MVC-060S.JPG
    MVC-060S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 350
i like that way your car looks... i might try that route soon... thanks for the pics

wow that car looks sick with the 325's and when you put the 275 they do look small. nice looking ride.

So in thise thread I see someone using a 5 1/4" BS with a 10" rim but the other thread has two suggestions, ones a 5" BS and the other is a 5.5" bs. I have dual air bags already and I will eventually lower the car about 1-2". Rolling the fender is gonna be last so with a 10" rim, what size bs should I run and whats the fattest slick anyone has back there? thanks!

Here's the thing.... each of these cars is a little different, and I've heard 5, 5.25, and 5.5 backspace. Every frame notch is different, and rims are different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Also the rear ends aren't all symetrical the control arm, spring and shock brackets got welded on differently. You are going to have to play around within the range of suggestions given. For me, on my Malibu, which is essentially the same as a GN, a frame notch and 15x10, 5.5 bs worked, with rolled fender lips. I get MT ET 28x10.5's and MT ETS 28x12.5's underneith. You're going to have to play around a little.

we have a 5.5 backspace with 1/4" spacers (ya we have 1/2"X3" wheel studs) to get that 5 1/4.. I HATE tires that stick way out at the top of the rear 1/4 :eek: :p ... we only run drag radials :cool:

Here's the thing.... each of these cars is a little different, and I've heard 5, 5.25, and 5.5 backspace. Every frame notch is different, and rims are different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Also the rear ends aren't all symetrical the control arm, spring and shock brackets got welded on differently. You are going to have to play around within the range of suggestions given. For me, on my Malibu, which is essentially the same as a GN, a frame notch and 15x10, 5.5 bs worked, with rolled fender lips. I get MT ET 28x10.5's and MT ETS 28x12.5's underneith. You're going to have to play around a little.

Yeah I kinda wanted to avoid the trail and error method cause it might get expensive buying tires that dont fit. But I had seen a thread somewhere where it should how to notch the frame..... but now I cant find it. Wanted to use it as a guild so when I do it. anyone know what Im talking about? I tried searching but found nothing

Borrow wheels and tires from friends to test fit. However, if you're going to do the frame notch then you'll want to what until that's done.

Yeah I kinda wanted to avoid the trail and error method cause it might get expensive buying tires that dont fit. But I had seen a thread somewhere where it should how to notch the frame..... but now I cant find it. Wanted to use it as a guild so when I do it. anyone know what Im talking about? I tried searching but found nothing

ummmm ... do you know what you are doing ???? sounds easier than it is :p

ummmm ... do you know what you are doing ???? sounds easier than it is :p

hope so. I work on cars for a living but dont actually do "body" work. hoever my freind from work builds cages for baja bugs and has everything we need. ie plasma cutter, tube bender, welder, drill press, and a whole lot of other stuff. he races his bug's in the baja races.so it does seem pretty easy but just wanted to see how thick the metal they used for the frame to re-inforce it and if they welded it on the inse of the frame or the outside.

hope so. I work on cars for a living but dont actually do "body" work. hoever my freind from work builds cages for baja bugs and has everything we need. ie plasma cutter, tube bender, welder, drill press, and a whole lot of other stuff. he races his bug's in the baja races.so it does seem pretty easy but just wanted to see how thick the metal they used for the frame to re-inforce it and if they welded it on the inse of the frame or the outside.

just checking :p :biggrin:

GM-High tech...

ran an article on Cotton's ten sec. build for a customer. It has a how to for the notching in the article. It's the Jan.06 volume 12 no.1 edition. You could probably get it on line at gmhightechperformance.com:confused:

Back