Wife says, "Go ahead. Get the GTO."

I gotta agree with TTA89 on this one

If this thread has turned into a Cobra vs new GTO competition I gotta side with the Cobra as far as bang for the buck. The two cars are apples and oranges but if all you care about is performance for the dollar you can't touch the Cobra. Theres a guy here who bought one. All he has is a pulley, custom burned chip, and et streets and he's running 11.63 @ 115 mph. I was amazed and he still has a smaller pulley he wants to try. He's running 11's with around 500 in mods I figure. You aren't gonna get the GTO that fast for 500 bucks. Nuff said. Also TTA89 is right, the cobras can be had for under 30 depending on the options and such.

new GOAT!!!

ok, i love the new GTO. i don't see why it's ugly. i also like the cobra's, but the cobra is basically in a different class since it comes with a supercharger stock. i think maybe gm needs to go back to the old ways of gm and start force feeding their new cars to compete with cobras and e55's and evrything else that is now supercharged stock (saturn doesnt count, even tho the new ion "red line" is supercharged, it's a four cyl.) i also know that there is life other than GN's like was mentioned before me, and i see cars as a car enthusiast in general. not just gm, ford or dodge, even tho i do like gm, i'm still open to whatever else is out there. with that said, i would love to own a cobra or a goat. i honestly don't know if i could choose, but if it came down to it, i might hafta go with the goat. thats just my way of see'in thingz. I've also heard that there could maybe be a GTO "The Judge" again, and it could come with original judge stuff like hugger orange (er whatever that color is) paint and "The Judge" emblems on the side along with, of course Ram-Air. I saw it in the newest motor-trend mag and im not too sure if it will be produced but would be sick if it was. that's all for now (since i wrote an essay:eek: :eek: )

this thread was never a GTO vs Cobra thread, we all know how it would end up in straight line contest. The Cobra worshipers constantly have to throw their two bits in about the Cobra and its magic pulley, and pretty much ruin any decent thread about the GTO on any messageboard.

Three points on this thread that make sense to me.

1. Cars tend to look different in person, then in pictures. I am reserving my opinion on this car until I can see it, and drive it.
2. GM is finally getting the performance division back out of the closet. Even if this isn't a cobra, it is a start. Beside's we all know once GM gets back in full swing, Cobra's will be another Ford thing of the past. GM will rule the track once again.
3. Mustangs are basically a tired looking car. I do not even notice them on the road anymore, there are so many around here. They have become the volkswagon beetle of the 70's. Like yellow taxi's in NYC..I would have to get rear ended by one, before I would notice one. At least our Buicks do not suffer from that problem.

I do have more respect for the 03 Cobra's, now that I spent a day with one at the track. It too had very little in the way of modifications. But hey - it's a Ford.

Jeez some of you guys sound like Mustang guys defending yourself against a GN back in the day.

The Cobra worshipers constantly have to throw their two bits in about the Cobra and its magic pulley

Heh that sounds pretty familar expect replaced with a bleeder valve. Remember how easy it is to make the GN go faster? Same deal with the Cobra where as with the GTO you need a week and lots of screaming and money to rip the car apart and void everything to even get within 10 lengths of the Cobra. The reason its compared to the Cobra is because its in the exact same price range.

You guys talk about build quality, you realize the GTO is a PONTIAC right? lol.. You wanna talk about poor build quality? Don't even get me started on the 98 LS1 Trans-Am I just sold. What a Piece of ****.

haha my 4k lb. Limited w/ 160k original miles, stock turbo and intercooler runing 13.1 on 19 PSI with a crap launch has nothing to do with anything. i actually think thats not to bad considering it was 75*'s out and the car was runing rich.

I drove to Bristol last year with a friend of mine in an 87 Rosewood Limited with 244K miles on it, we pulled the cat off in the pits, threw on a bleeder valve and other assorted BS and went 12.70s@104 in 80 degree weather. So whats your excuse?

wow your lightning ran 13.5 all stock. bet it didnt do it at 104 MPH. a new GTO with exhaust, intake and drag radials and a living driver would take your moded lightning

Your right it didn't go 13.5 at 104. It went 13.5@103.59. Want me to scan the timeslip :p

The GTO couldn't touch my Lightning for the same $500 bucks in mods that I have done to it. Hell I am still running the stock tires and the Lightning tips the scales at 4824 with me in it. GM has shot themselves in the foot too many times.

Also my Lightning hasn't had 1 Build quality issue yet, I don't know where that comes from... I have 16K miles on it.

Why is everyone comparing to totally different types of cars.

The GTO is more of a fullsized car that is aimed more at comfort coupled with performance and room.

The mustang is more of a sports car with less room and less comfort.

I just wish GM would just come out with a engine worthey of the GTO name.

Personally I like the looks but thats just an opinion.

Turbonics - there are plenty of 9 second LS1's .... i'd even say more than any amount of 9 second LC2 GN's running around. I personally know there will quite a few 8 second cars soon :)

TTA89 - Your lightning may be fast for you but it wont get much faster than that ... there is only so much you can do to a truck, even if you build the engine up its not going to be runnin super great times with reliability. and the GTO is built by Holden, not UAW and Pontiac. I personally feel the mustangs and f-bodys are crappy built cars.

..........with that said, love it or hate it...its here, there is a demographic for the car and many of the guys here dont fall into it. you have to all agree to disagree otherwise it'll be a never ending pissing match.

Originally posted by TTA89
Jeez some of you guys sound like Mustang guys defending yourself against a GN back in the day.

Heh that sounds pretty familar expect replaced with a bleeder valve. Remember how easy it is to make the GN go faster? Same deal with the Cobra where as with the GTO you need a week and lots of screaming and money to rip the car apart and void everything to even get within 10 lengths of the Cobra. The reason its compared to the Cobra is because its in the exact same price range.

You guys talk about build quality, you realize the GTO is a PONTIAC right? lol.. You wanna talk about poor build quality? Don't even get me started on the 98 LS1 Trans-Am I just sold. What a Piece of ****.

Yeah the pulley does sound like a bleeder valve on the GN, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna go on to stangnet or LS1.com and mention how the GN would smack you around wth 500$ in mods and your stupid for wanting a slower car or what not, it just trying to start something on a thread that was not meant to even be a comparison. If the thread was meant to compare the two then I can understand, but the cobra lovers seem to come out of the woodwork even at the slightest hint of a GTO is mentioned. Somebody could mention the GTO has 3 cupholders and the Cobra guys would come in and say "yah dude but I got THE pulley" And like mentioned above it is not a pontiac and has very decent build quality. At least good enough to be mentioned as being "close" BMW and other quality manufacturers at least in intitial impressions. And just becuase you got a POS TA doesn't mean they all were, my sisters 00 Z28 is a nice care and it has 28,000 on it and it rides great for a car that handles decent and has not had any problems other than a blown speaker. What else did you expect for a car that can run low 13s out of the box but cost close to the same as most econoboxes? (not the WS6 or SS of course)

Well, I'm no ford worshipper by any means and taking a 30000 car to the track and risking voiding the warranty is to pricey of a hobby for me right now. I was amazed the ford could be that fast with so few mods but I doubt it would hold up to that crap for very long and with todays on board computers they are gonna know how you tore it up. The two cars aren't really a good comparison. Anyway I hope you get the car strikeeagle and your happy with it, just don't git rid of the TB to get it LOL.

Originally posted by jon_we4

TTA89 - Your lightning may be fast for you but it wont get much faster than that ... there is only so much you can do to a truck, even if you build the engine up its not going to be runnin super great times with reliability. and the GTO is built by Holden, not UAW and Pontiac. I personally feel the mustangs and f-bodys are crappy built cars.

Exactly my point. I can get the Lightning into the mid to lower 12s with a hotter chip and a couple more cheap bolt-ons but after that I would have to start ripping into the motor and start causing reliability problems. I'm not going to do anything else to it, all I really wanted was a reliable 12 second pumpgas daily driven tow vehicle and thats what I have.

Same deal for the GTO. What are you gonna do to it? Install $1000 dollar headers for 15hp? Bah... What a waste of time. There is nothing you can do to it for short money to give it a significant increase in power. You need to Change lots of things to give it say a 100hp increase in power to really make it run well and you can't do that with exhaust and a filter.

My problem with the GTO is the trunk is tiny because they had to relocate the gas tank there because of the safety nazi's. Our TR's (and every RWD car built in the 60's, 70's and 80's (and most of the 90's)) are apparently fireballs waiting to happen because the gas tank is behind the axle :rolleyes:

I drove to Bristol last year with a friend of mine in an 87 Rosewood Limited with 244K miles on it, we pulled the cat off in the pits, threw on a bleeder valve and other assorted BS and went 12.70s@104 in 80 degree weather. So whats your excuse?

some guys run 12.3 at 106 with those mods. whats YOUR excuse :eek:

lets keep it back on subject. the guy wants an LS1 GTO, not a cobra.

Same deal for the GTO. What are you gonna do to it? Install $1000 dollar headers for 15hp? Bah... What a waste of time. There is nothing you can do to it for short money to give it a significant increase in power. You need to Change lots of things to give it say a 100hp increase in power to really make it run well and you can't do that with exhaust and a filter.

Come over and we can go in for a ride with a camaro that idles quieter than stock and has 760RWHP

sure its alot of work and $15,000..... but its the ultimate street machine

I think TTA89 is forgetting the one thing that LS1 cars really like. Nitrous. For less than $1000 you'd easily get that thing into the mid to low 12s.

There are several LS1's down here with minor bolt-ons, slicks and a 150 shot running low low 11s and some are dipping into the 10s with a little more help.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
There are several LS1's down here with minor bolt-ons, slicks and a 150 shot running low low 11s and some are dipping into the 10s with a little more help.

A lot of cobra guys seem to forget about this formula.:rolleyes: I wonder why?:rolleyes:

I like the cobra's too, but if you wanna talk bang for your buck, they are not the cheapest to get to the 11's or high 10's..IMHO..

Originally posted by KillrV6
some guys run 12.3 at 106 with those mods. whats YOUR excuse :eek:

lets keep it back on subject. the guy wants an LS1 GTO, not a cobra.

You can pick one... 244K miles... Altitude, hotter air, the fact that we could only find 28 inch slicks and that we prepped the car at the track...

Give me a break.. You guys sound like a bunch of Mustang guys trying to compare yourselves to a GN.

"Well, if I had a Supercharger I would blow your doors off"

The Cobra's running Nitrous on top of the "Magical' Pulley are in the 130mph range and yes the motor live. Its built with all forged parts.

:rolleyes: TIME TO WAKE UP AND SEE WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE BESIDES GENERIC MOTORS!

You can pick one... 244K miles... Altitude, hotter air, the fact that we could only find 28 inch slicks and that we prepped the car at the track...

Give me a break.. You guys sound like a bunch of Mustang guys trying to compare yourselves to a GN.

"Well, if I had a Supercharger I would blow your doors off"

The Cobra's running Nitrous on top of the "Magical' Pulley are in the 130mph range and yes the motor live. Its built with all forged parts.

:rolleyes: TIME TO WAKE UP AND SEE WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE BESIDES GENERIC MOTORS!

For the 20,000th time we know what the dang cobras are capable of, and the motors are living but they have only been out for a year in this form, and yes there have been failures. They are strong blocks and everything but there is a lot more to going fast than a motor, hell the half shafts are almost as week as LS1s rear ends, the t56 is a not capable of much more than 450 hp and living on a daily basis. Nobody is saying anything about "If i had a supercharger" and no its not just a magical puilley and nitrous to run 130, those are kenne bell blown cars and those superchargers are $$$$$ along with proper tuning and suspension work. Most are going as far as bolting a solid rear and c6 tranny in there to take the punishment. We know whats out there other than General motors but some don't really care. I like cobras and lightnings especially. By you constantly saying a pulley and this and that your at 450 hp, i can bring up the cost of the cobra and how with those mods the warrenty is out the window. So why wouldn't I go and buy a nice 20-30,000 mile LS1 , put in a nice cam, long tubes a few other bolt ons, 12 bolt and and a 150 shot. and still not even come close to the price of a cobra. The point I'm trying to make is "different strokes for different folks".

Give it up !! Not sure what all this has to do with a GTO - BUT -

If you want to drive a car that is like a yellow taxi from NYC, then
Rustang is for you.. (in other words - Go4it....) They are like snowflakes in a blizzard !!! Who can tell the difference ??

If you want to 'Go fast with class', get yourself in a Buick...
Still kick 95% of what is running around out there and get the looks and admiration, that come with a class car...

Lets wrap this silly thread !!