You can type here any text you want

Wild Looking Diesel Race Pistons!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mike T

Looking around at other stuff and came across these strange looking piston designs. Not sure what the benefits are but it makes me wonder if other pistons (gasoline) may see drastic design changes in the future.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mle-929969315/overview/

mahle 1.jpg
mahle piston 1.jpg
mahle2.jpg

Last edited:
I work at a company that does R&D testing on diesel engines. They are always coming up with interesting new combustion chamber shapes to try. The pistons you posted the pic of are a weird profile due to the fact that they are steel and have the maximum amount of material removed to save weight. Most of our pistons are steel although we have played with Inconel crowns and Titanium pistons too.

Neal

Most of our pistons are steel although we have played with Inconel crowns and Titanium pistons too.

The ringless ceramics are an interesting concept......I would imagine strength will be the big problem with those. The rings are replaced by groves in the piston that creates a disturbed column of air, this somehow provides a seal and a friction free surface for the piston to ride on. They have a couple running and expect to make retrofit kits for older engines.

Back