You can type here any text you want

Will 85 sfi parts work on a 79 engine block

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FlintBuick4Life

I just bought an 85 GN engine to convert my 78 Regal to Fuel Injection. but the 85 block has a lot of rust and needs to be sanded down and painted, so I was wondering if all the parts from the 85 will bolt up and work on my 79 block?(it was a turbo engine) and do I need to change the cam or anything else?:confused:

everything but the oilpan and timing cover will swap overfrom the '85 to the '79 you Will have to change the cam and lifters. IMO it would be a lot easier and quicker to paint your already together '85 block.

I was afraid of that. The reason I asked is because the engine was apart and missing the lifters, distributor and needed a new timing cap. Lots of little stuff missing, but I got it for $450 and it came with everything else, even the exhaust manifolds, down pipe, catalytic converter, turbo, all new seals/gaskets, new oil pan, new valve covers, alternator and brackets... so I guess I cant complain lol

cool deal. You can still use the cam if it's in good shape just put some new lifters on it. Your '85 block never had a distributor it had a cam sensor instead starting in '84 distributorless ignition.

Yeah, thats what I meant to say... cam sensor and coil ignition. I`m used to the carb engines lol I looked on AutoZones site and found everything I need. The lifters are cheap, but its AZ, so idk how well they will last lol

85 engines can be 14 or 20 bolt. Check the bolt count on the pan to make sure. Other than that everything should swap.

Just want to confirm what I am reading here. I have an 85 20bolt pan motor that spun some bearings. I just found a carbed turbo motor (don't know the year yet) that I can have for free. Providing the botom end is good, I can just bolt my heads to and intake and all the other stuff to this motor and drop it in? I know the cover and pan are different but will the cam sensor go where the distributor was? Or maybe I can just use the crank and rods out of the carb motor?

Just want to confirm what I am reading here. I have an 85 20bolt pan motor that spun some bearings. I just found a carbed turbo motor (don't know the year yet) that I can have for free. Providing the botom end is good, I can just bolt my heads to and intake and all the other stuff to this motor and drop it in? I know the cover and pan are different but will the cam sensor go where the distributor was? Or maybe I can just use the crank and rods out of the carb motor?

Everything but the pan and timing cover will interchange. Make sure of the year though. Check the casting number to make sure what you have. The cam sensor goes where the distributor goes.

That's right you can bolt your heads, intake and the rest on the old block and drop it right in. EXCEPT you will have to use your old balancer with the ring and find out a way to mount the crank sensor to the older timing cover, The cam sensor will slide right down into the older timing cover and work just fine.

your doing the opposite from me lol Yeah everything seams to change over but the oil pan and timing cove. That brings up a question, can I use my distributor from my 79 to the 85sfi? Its still new`ish and I cant afford to buy the cam sensor and ignition coil right now.

your doing the opposite from me lol Yeah everything seems to change over but the oil pan and timing cover. That brings up a question, can I use my distributor from my 79 to the 85sfi? Its still new`ish and I cant afford to buy the cam sensor and ignition coil right now.

You're talking apples to onions there. NO! The SFI design will require an atermarket ECM to use a distributor. You don't have much of a choice on that one.:biggrin:

I will buy the dizzy and ESC control box off this engine if it still has it.

A.j.

Damn:( I tried lol Well, I have to buy the EMC and wiring harness any way, might as well get it all in one shot.

Back