You can type here any text you want

Will a 20x8 with 3.5 BS work on front ??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RUQWKNF27

I am ready to order my wheels an so I know the correct fitment for the rear an I am limited to a 3.5 BS for the front. If my math is halfway right I should have @ leat a 4" lip on front!! So whould it work??

I doubt it. It will tear the **** out of your front fender lips.

put some big-block caprice springs in the front and the 20's will fit fine...

honestly though... why are you limited to a 3.5" BS?

OK what about a 4" BS then witht eh extra 1/2" givet he clearance i need??

Reason I think it might work is I use to have 15x8 Weld Pro Stars ont he rear with 3.5 BS an they were fine, bu t I guess what works for the back may not work for the front!!!!

So what about 4" BS for the front guys??

4" BS on an 8" wheel will be perfect. I have never had a problem up front w/ that backspacing. HTH

Reason I was also thiniing 3.5 BS onthe front was primarily to give me a nice size wheel lip for the front.. But I can give up a 1/2" for the sake of not having the problems that somwe will think as listed above. What size lip do you "8UWITH6" have with 4" BS??? I know onthe rear witht he 4.5 BS I will have witht he 20x10 its like a 5.50" lip!!

Also if you have somepics of the front wheels on your car you can send me that would be nice also!!
If so send to autertidmore@aol.com

I have 18x8s on the front of my car with 4" BS and still rub the fender on sharp turns. I'd assume it'll be even worse with 20s.

Where are you ordering wheels from? Just curious.

So what do you think ideal BS would be?? 4.25?
I am thinking about AR TT II wheels!!
I like those RPM wheels they are nice!! Are they rather expensive?? The TT II are around 1500.00 total.

The reason I want the least amount of BS , is because I want the wheel to sit out an not be tucked in the fender wheel. I like the wheels to sit out kinda like german cars. I havethe BS onthe rear where the wheel will come out an the tire will sit almost right under the fender trim. So i do not want the fronts to sit in an look goofy . Also I do not want to run intothis tire scrub @ the same time..

Yeah I understand your problem. I'm also a fan of the aggressive wheel stance and big wheel lips. It's not too easy to find good looking wheels for these cars. I'm not even all that happy with the way mine look.

It's hard to say what will work best for you. I have never changed any of the suspension on my car, so maybe my wheels only rub because my 20 year old car is starting to sag. Maybe 4" backspacing rubs on my car but would be fine on yours, you never know.

Have you tried calling American Racing? Maybe they have an idea on how to fit them. I think there's a few other guys on this site who have 20s on their car so maybe they'll notice this thread eventually too.

When I talked w/ MHT about Fooses for a GN fitment (w/o flares) I was told;

"Of course, your dealer would need to do a fitment check first but the
20x8.5 5x4.75 bolt pattern with 4.5" rear spacing
20x10 5x4.75 bolt pattern with 5.25" rear spacing
would be your best bet."

HTH
GC

5.25 rear spacing on a G body?... not unless the wheels are going to drag against the frame rails...5" is about all the space there is.

I know for "my" car that a 10" wide wheel with 4.5" BS is ideal for the rear cause thats what I have there now. It's just getting the front right!!

"Of course, your dealer would need to do a fitment check first but the
20x8.5 5x4.75 bolt pattern with 4.5" rear spacing"

I do not see how this would be any different then 20x8 with 4" BS, you just have a 1/2" wider wheel with 1/2" more BS.. I personally do not see how any wheel 10" wide will fit a TR with 5.25 BS!! But I guess anything is possible. Look who's PRESIDENT!!!

It *sounds* like you are more concerned with the "look" rather than the function.

I have 16x8 Boyds on my current GN, unfortunately, I havent had them off the car yet to measure the Backspace (only had the car for 5 weeks) but the front wheels sit right at the edge of the wheelwell, and the rears tuck in...

I wish the rears were 9.5's... but for the deal I got on the car, I cant complain a *whole* lot...

I want both.. This is why I have started this thread to see if anyone has run a 8" wide front wheel with around 3.5-4" bs an pulled it off without problems.. If I was just concerned about look i would just order the wheels an figure out function "purpose of this thread" later..

I have started this thread to see if anyone has run a 8" wide front wheel with around 3.5-4" bs an pulled it off without problems.

Well, as I said, my fronts are 8" wide with 4" BS and they work fine 99% of the time. The only rub I get is a sharp turn. Since you are using 20" wheels instead of 18"s, you might notice a little bit more rubbing. But that also depends on which tire you're going to run. If you're running a really low profile tire, you might not get any more rub than I do.

Try this calculator if you want. You can enter in the tire size you want to run, and it will give you the overall height of your wheel+tire.
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Here's an example with my front tires. Overall diameter is about 26". So just put in the tire size that you plan on using and see what your overall diameter will be.

Attachments

• tire.gif
    tire.gif
    5 KB · Views: 224
Thanks your statement about the 4" BS was a nice one to see an one I considered when I ordered my wheels today. I went with 20x8 with 4" BS an 20x10 with 4.5BS As far as tires that was not too hard for me. I went with 285/30/20 and 245/35/20 giving me a overall 26.8 diameter front and rear.
I guess we will see in 3-5 weeks how all this will pan out.. By the way the I asked the sales guy @ AR about the overall size of thelips onthe wheels when finished an he said 3 3/4 lip on front and 5 1/4 rear so should look good. Thanks for the help guys..

Cool. Looks like your tires will be about an inch taller than mine, shouldn't be any huge problems with rubbing. Hopefully you take pictures when you get the wheels cuz I wanna see!

considering the stock 215/65R15 is 26" tall, and my other g body experiences, the Regals are the least forgiving with larger tires in the front.

I recall contact with the inner fender to fender bolt that was at the 12 O'clock position in relationship to the wheel. The bolt was of conventional head design, and I hustled up a "button" head style to eliminate the sharp edges and that worked for me... I was running a 255/50R16 on a 16x8.5 wheel with about a 4.25" BS... hope that helps...

How much variation do I need on 20"x8" 4"BS w/ drop spindles on the front? Wont they need to have more back spacing since all my geometry is essentially moved up 2"?! (And I also have 1" drop springs to put on)

As far as tires, I have sittin ready for use; 275/30 rear and 245/35 front. Real close to 26" OEM diam.

PLEASE post pics guys of fitment, and specs if possible (AGAIN I know...) I want to know what works before I spend $550+ per wheel. MHT/Foose can be wrong...people work there!

What wheels did you order QWKNF27?

Back