Will this CD player fit our TR's???

Mark, I believe that is a newer model that is a double DIN our cars are DIN and a half.

Matt

What is the deal with Monsoon? That unit looks like the one Phillyturbosix has in his car. Does the Monsoon have it's own amplifier?

I want to go back to a stock looking radio. Don't ask me why, when the rest of the car is far from stock.:D

The GM Monsoon system had a seperate amp.
You would have to use the amp for the deck if you wanted to run the Monsoon deck...kinda like an OEM Bose system.

Oops. Sorry, didn't know it req'd a separate amp. Still shouldn't be too hard to get to work... ;)

David

Originally posted by zam70
The GM Monsoon system had a seperate amp.
You would have to use the amp for the deck if you wanted to run the Monsoon deck...kinda like an OEM Bose system.

I knew there was a difference. Thanks Zam. Don't want to wire up a separate amp. Want a plug and play deal.

The Monsoon's don't require a separate amp to work. If you want to you can use either of the 2 OEM amps that were available. One (up to '99) is 200W and the other ('00 and newer) is 500W. The stock Monsoon unit is rated at 54W per channel. The newer radios really are plug and play as long as the faceplate has the DIN 1/2 opening and you do a little modding to the stock mounting brackets. There are wiring adapters available and you can even have an OEM changer with the Monsoon or other late model stock radios using a stock harness for the changer as long as the radio has an AUX button on it. Do a search here for "Monsoon" you'll find more info from those who have done the swap. I have a write up on doing the Monsoon in my SS if anyone needs it.
Larry.

The brackets would have to be removed, and then you wouldn't have any easy way to mount it. :)
Look for ones that have the small flat brackets that stick out like ears like those in the F Body and S10's. Look at EBay item #'s 7915210625 and 7915210581 to see what they look like. For the best ones get the '99 and newer HU's. You should be able to find the Monsoon HU's for no more than $150 for the CD ones and $50 (Bass/Treble controls) to $90 (w/EQ) for the cassette ones. The later model ones will also have the AUX button so that you can run the OEM CD changer.
I've got a couple of pictures of the one in my SS if you want to get an idea how they mount up.
Larry.

The basic unit is the same with different brackets, it just doesn't have the power and performance of the Monsoon. The DIN 1/2 Monsoon's were only available in the F Body's. The older Camaro and Firebird ones (97-98 IIRC) don't say Monsoon. Even though the S10 and Truck radios are not Monsoon's, they're not bad radios. :)
Larry.

BuickGN Boosted, the second one is the one you want. It shte one myself and phillyturbosix(jim) use. You will just have to modify the brackets(very simple) and go to a shop that specializes in car audio and get the correct wiring connectors. Looks great when in the car and sounds a heck of a lot beter than the stock system